Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have found that too ,but just out of interest ...why did you ask them not to ?

This is a Christian country , prayers are going to be more openly offered .
Because I don't believe in God and in this particular case, I didn't appreciate the intrusion (I hadn't asked for help of confided in the person doing the praying). I also object when politicians react to natural disasters by asking people to pray. At least our current President makes a point of being inclusive to non-believers but he's the exception.

To me spirituality is a private matter and none of anyone else's business. Just another of the reasons why I'm uncomfortable in this country.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Because I don't believe in God and in this particular case, I didn't appreciate the intrusion (I hadn't asked for help of confided in the person doing the praying). I also object when politicians react to natural disasters by asking people to pray. At least our current President makes a point of being inclusive to non-believers but he's the exception.

To me spirituality is a private matter and none of anyone else's business. Just another of the reasons why I'm uncomfortable in this country.
The bit I don't understand is that the original situation was "God's will", why ask him to change it?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The bit I don't understand is that the original situation was "God's will", why ask him to change it?
Perhaps he just hadn't thought it through properly
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Oh ,I see

Thanks for explaining .
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My wife complains that she can't find a mothers group that isn't religious. MOPS seems to be mostly to evangelise people rather than just help mothers out, half of the things they do in their little meetings are about jesus and God. While my wife is vaguely Christian, she is positively frightened by the religiously obsessed people she knows there. It's not "I hope you get better", it's "I hope Jesus helps you to get better, you will be in my prayers for the next week". And all the "prizes" they have for the little competitions they do are books on how to raise kids, but with Christianity tagged on in a haphazard way (presumably because they know it will sell better).
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

I hear what your saying Im in NY right now my husband is from here and we just came back from my home Scotland we were on vacation it just felt nice being back I miss everything. I also like some aspects of my life her, but when it comes down to it all my friends and family are back home and I miss the food and like you the connection with people. I have been in NY for almost 5 years and feel I dont have any real friends I feel lonely here. Yes we have a big house and a more things than we would be back home but it's just plain lonely. We are like you discussing to stay or go but leaving is winning. I need to get my citizenship first then it will be easier. I would say do that first so you know you can come back if you want to if you do go. All the best
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have found that too ,but just out of interest ...why did you ask them not to ?

This is a Christian country , prayers are going to be more openly offered .
But it's not is it, or so claimed it's supposed to accept everyone of all religions. It used to really piss me off when people used to constantly say "praise Jesus" or "I'll pray for you" etc. Now I giggle, I want to shout "praise allah" or something just to freak them out, but I guess I'm mean that way.
I had people give me a look of horror and walk away when my oldest was little and I enrolled him in Temple Israel preschool, it was a co-op, cheap, had a great program and the teachers and kids were lovely. You think I'd sent him to terrorist training the way they acted. BTW we aren't Jewish, or anything else for that matter.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
But it's not is it, or so claimed it's supposed to accept everyone of all religions. It used to really piss me off when people used to constantly say "praise Jesus" or "I'll pray for you" etc. Now I giggle, I want to shout "praise allah" or something just to freak them out, but I guess I'm mean that way.
I was asked for my religion at a doctor's office yesterday. "None", or anything similar wasn't on the drop down list of choices of the software to input it!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I may be wrong, but from my experience, once you get out of the major cities in any state, you hit pretty conservative areas. My little corner of Oregon is a case in point. As conservative as anywhere in the mid-west or south. Full of tea party people trying to convince me that they're not really Republicans in disguise
The definition of conservatism changes depending on someones circumstance. The largest supporters of the tea party are retirees but if anyone talks about cutting social security benefits or medicare, that is just not acceptable. The bread basket state farmers are considered very conservative but if any party proposes cutting the $30 billion farm subsidies, they will no longer support that party. Oil companies can be considered conservative but lobby like hell to keep their oil subsidies.

It is easy to be a conservative as long as all the cuts in wasteful spending affect someone else.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I had people give me a look of horror and walk away when my oldest was little and I enrolled him in Temple Israel preschool, it was a co-op, cheap, had a great program and the teachers and kids were lovely. You think I'd sent him to terrorist training the way they acted. BTW we aren't Jewish, or anything else for that matter.
I am not religious either .

I don't get offended when people offer to pray for me though

Taking your point about it now being a country that accepts all religion ,I guess folk have a right to voice how they will pray for us... right ?
We just don't have to take much notice IMO
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In the past 2 weeks, we have had three different people from 3 different churches knocking on our doors asking us to come visit. And yet we have a 'No Solicitation' sign on the front entrance to our subdivision. I guess religious groups don't count as solicitors. Peeves me off no end. If I'm interested in 'finding God' I'll come find you, I don't need them bothering me by knocking on my door in the middle of dinner. That is one thing I won't miss once we move back to the UK. FWIW, I'm the born and bred USC, and I can't stand how the religion thing is thrown in our face all the time. I feel like we have to leave the US to get 'freedom from religion.'
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In the past 2 weeks, we have had three different people from 3 different churches knocking on our doors asking us to come visit. And yet we have a 'No Solicitation' sign on the front entrance to our subdivision. I guess religious groups don't count as solicitors. Peeves me off no end. If I'm interested in 'finding God' I'll come find you, I don't need them bothering me by knocking on my door in the middle of dinner. That is one thing I won't miss once we move back to the UK. FWIW, I'm the born and bred USC, and I can't stand how the religion thing is thrown in our face all the time. I feel like we have to leave the US to get 'freedom from religion.'
Start answering the door nekkid.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Start answering the door nekkid.
Don't tempt me, woman. I would love to see the looks on their faces if I asked them to come join the orgy!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Don't tempt me, woman. I would love to see the looks on their faces if I asked them to come join the orgy!
That might backfire - you'll get the one doubter who's been looking for an excuse to join the wild world of hedonism you now present
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That might backfire - you'll get the one doubter who's been looking for an excuse to join the wild world of hedonism you now present
Point taken!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.