Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reading materials and forward planning

Reading materials and forward planning

Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reading materials and forward planning

Originally Posted by kins
Which Hannaford? I'd pay good money to have my groceries delivered.
The one local to me will do your shop and you pick it up... There's one round that does deliver, but not the one in our town, limited delivery radius I think.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The one local to me will do your shop and you pick it up... There's one round that does deliver, but not the one in our town, limited delivery radius I think.
I wonder how many people actually live in areas in the US that do have supermarkets that deliver. I guess mostly the city areas.

In the UK I lived in a fairly rural area but still could get Tesco, Sainsbury and Ocado deliveries.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you heard about Maine Grocery Delivery? I use them when life gets nutty...love getting my shopping delivered.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Have you heard about Maine Grocery Delivery? I use them when life gets nutty...love getting my shopping delivered.
I'm just outside their delivery area. I just emailed them to find out if they'll deliver here...
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I wonder how many people actually live in areas in the US that do have supermarkets that deliver. I guess mostly the city areas.

In the UK I lived in a fairly rural area but still could get Tesco, Sainsbury and Ocado deliveries.
In California, Safeway delivers. Great service with all the specials, free delivery if over $150, a one hour window for delivery that you pick, and tips are forbidden. I actually save money when I use then to deliver because there are free items if you spend more than $150, internet only specials, a list of all the coupons that you just check, and another thing called "Just for You".

Although the coupons and "Just for You" can be checked before you go to the store, when everything is together and you have at least 12 hours to modify your shopping list and it is much easier when you want a lot of things. This weeks free item is a large DiGinoro pizza. During Thanksgiving, generally a turkey is free. Christmas is generally a free ham.

Even though I have a Safeway across the street, it is a small one that is about half the size of a normal Safeway so they deliver from the large stores where they have everything.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 10th 2013 at 4:37 am.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely save money when I order online too, mainly because I'm more disciplined about what I buy. No impulsive flinging of extra bits and bobs into the cart!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 7:29 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
We're off on Saturday.

Re driving you can get the drivers handbook from the DMV of the state you'll be living in. I got mine online as well as practice written tests.

I've told me gp and dentist.

We've kept our uk account but opened one in the us too. We're with HSBC who said we could open a us account through then. Total faff. Was much easier for hubby to walk into us bank!

Get an Amex credit card....it's the only one that you can use to start building up a us credit history. Nearer the time get a print of your uk experian...it's certainly helped us.

Congratulations!
Any tips on GP in the USA? I wouldnt know where to start to continue the regular prescriptions i'm on, one of which is an injection every 3 months and regular blood tests.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 7:31 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Up top, US section.

Driving is easy, even a cabbage could pass. Just study the points for under age drinking and other points because most of the theory will be on that rather than driving. Practical, over emphasise looking over shoulder/mirror, don't speed, stop at stop sign and if it's staggered from the line or junction to stop at those too.

Banking, so many threads, but stick with something local, perhaps a credit union. Use something like XE.com t transfer money.
Made a start on the driving...found an ipad app. Worrying amount of police on the roads this trip but i guess that should be reassuring!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
Any tips on GP in the USA? I wouldnt know where to start to continue the regular prescriptions i'm on, one of which is an injection every 3 months and regular blood tests.
All depends on who you have for insurance.

Check website after you know that, to see who's in network, then ring around all the PCP's (GP's), to see who is taking on new patients...visit a few to see who you like and then get a prescription and shop around for prices before filling it in.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
Made a start on the driving...found an ipad app. Worrying amount of police on the roads this trip but i guess that should be reassuring!
The cops are probably just out to make quota on speeding tickets...tend to see them beginning/end of the month.