Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reading materials and forward planning

Reading materials and forward planning

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:05 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reading materials and forward planning

So I've just returned home yesterday from the USA and my partner says he wants to ask my dad for permission to marry me. Eeek!

Now it's getting real that I will be moving to the USA in the next year or so.

I have done a fair bit of reading on the Fiance visa anyway, and he's in a very secure job with a nice rental place with everything we could possibly need.

When I move, i'm prepared to sell all my big possessions (furniture, car etc as i rent) and will basically ship my rather large clothing, shoe and cd collection. I've saved up a fair bit already for this part.

I just wondered if anyone had a basic check list of what they had to cut off in the UK for their move etc .. And what they kept paying into for any reason...do i need to tell my GP/dentist for example or can you try and see them on the visits home? I really like my dentist.

I know things like mobile phone changes need doing, banking I need to research etc.

I have just under 3 years on my UK passport, a full UK driving licence and intend to drive as soon as possible when i move. I am in work but dont have that many complicated issues to wind up other than my savings (ISA).

Can anyone firstly recommend me a good book to read up on USA driving as I understand I need to take a test?

Secondly, provide me any advice on anything I can do in advance with my banking arrangements. I'm with Halifax and Virgin Money currently.

I'm being sensible and trying to research the companies that end for work and connect with recruiters on Linkedin well in advance as its quite quiet where my partner lives.

Thanks for any replies in advance, i'm the youngest of three and prior to now pretty risk averse!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reading materials and forward planning

For the driving it will depend on which State you will live in. Go to that States web site and look for Driver & Motor Vehicle (DMV), and you should be able to download the driving manual. Some States give it a different name than DMV but you'll find it on the States web site.

It pays to keep a UK bank account open. Make sure if you do that Halifax will let you do so if you move to the US. If they do not open one at one of the major High St banks. Once you have left the UK it is almost impossible to open a UK bank account. People have lived to regret closing theirs when they left.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 2nd 2013 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:36 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We're off on Saturday.

Re driving you can get the drivers handbook from the DMV of the state you'll be living in. I got mine online as well as practice written tests.

I've told me gp and dentist.

We've kept our uk account but opened one in the us too. We're with HSBC who said we could open a us account through then. Total faff. Was much easier for hubby to walk into us bank!

Get an Amex credit card....it's the only one that you can use to start building up a us credit history. Nearer the time get a print of your uk experian...it's certainly helped us.

Congratulations!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:36 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We're off on Saturday.

Re driving you can get the drivers handbook from the DMV of the state you'll be living in. I got mine online as well as practice written tests.

We've kept our uk account but opened one in the us too. We're with HSBC who said we could open a us account through then. Total faff. Was much easier for hubby to walk into us bank!

Get an Amex credit card....it's the only one that you can use to start building up a us credit history. Nearer the time get a print of your uk experian...it's certainly helped us.

Congratulations!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:51 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I've just returned to the UK after 22 years in the US and have been very glad I kept my Lloyds bank account open all that time. I also opened accounts for my children - very useful for people wanting to give them money for birthdays, Christmas and graduations, etc. So you may want to think about that as and when the time comes. I used my parents address and also told Lloyds I was living in the States. They even called me in the US a couple of times when they saw unusual activity on my account.

Something I didn't think about/know about was making voluntary National Insurance contributions. I'd recommend looking into that and deciding if it's something you want to do.

Congratulations and good luck with the K-1 application. It's a long time since I went through it, but I do remember it required a lot of patience!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki here has a good check list of stuff to do, credit, insurance, driving etc.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:24 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The wiki here has a good check list of stuff to do, credit, insurance, driving etc.
Do you have the link please?
Ive found an ipad app for the driving part.
Raeding material looks pretty intensive for that!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:27 pm
Newbie yet to move

Originally Posted by Zez
We're off on Saturday.

Congratulations!

Thank you, Amex i need to check I meet the criteria. Think I was below the threshold for earnings before!

Will be looking at HSBC but no branch near to where i'm going so drawing out may be an issue. I like the appeal of a drive thru cash point, saw one for the first time this last trip!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:24 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
Ive found an ipad app for the driving part.
Raeding material looks pretty intensive for that!
Up top, US section.

Driving is easy, even a cabbage could pass. Just study the points for under age drinking and other points because most of the theory will be on that rather than driving. Practical, over emphasise looking over shoulder/mirror, don't speed, stop at stop sign and if it's staggered from the line or junction to stop at those too.

Banking, so many threads, but stick with something local, perhaps a credit union. Use something like XE.com t transfer money.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I have a First Direct account and they have no problem with the fact that I live abroad. They also do good rates for currency transfers - for me they've generally matched anything I could find anywhere else. I'd recommend them. You'll still need a US account once you get here, but it's handy to have a UK account with internet banking that you know won't shut you down once you've left.

Keep any utility bills or statements you receive - you may well need them to establish credit history in the US. To get our mortgage we had to show 12 months of statements for 10 different utilities/credit cards/mobile phones.

But most importantly, do the things you won't be able to do once you've moved. Eat cheap nasty sausages and pork pies at least weekly. Go to country pubs. Explore National Trust properties. Occasionally stagger into a curry house after a night out. Order your groceries online as often as you can. All these things will be gone once you move :-)
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:06 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The checklist of things to do prior to a move:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:06 am

The checklist of things to do prior to a move:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kins

Order your groceries online as often as you can. All these things will be gone once you move :-)
Roche Brothers, Stop n Shop, Hannafords and I think Wegmans do online grocery, some with delivery, others with pick up.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Roche Brothers, Stop n Shop, Hannafords and I think Wegmans do online grocery, some with delivery, others with pick up.
Which Hannaford? I'd pay good money to have my groceries delivered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.