Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medicare/Medicaid - confusion

Medicare/Medicaid - confusion

Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of
Smile Medicare/Medicaid - confusion

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone could explain whether or not I would qualify for any of the above benefits after becoming a US Citizen. I will be aged 67 when I hopefully get my Citizenship. Came here in 2007, Green card from 2009, Five year rule will be up in March of next year - 2014.
I do have an employment history although this has only over a period of 6 years when I get my Citizenship Interview.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare/Medicaid - confusion

Is is correct to assume that as you are applying for citizenship using the 5 year rule, you are not married to a USC?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of

Yes that is correct Iansbury. I was married to a US Citizen but sadly she passed away in 2011. In terms of my immigration, I was bounced back to the 5 year rule.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a immigration question this, so punted it over.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Go to your local social security office and see if you can get Medicare based on your wife's benefits. Normally you are eligible if either spouse has worked the required 40 quarters.

If not, you can buy Part A (hospitalization) for $441 per month if worked less than 30 quarters or $243 per month if you worked 30-39 quarters and is free if you worked 40 quarters or more.

Part B (outpatient care) is currently 104.90 per month for anyone 65 and over if they have Part A.

You may be eligible for free Medicaid if your income is low. Check with the local social security office.

http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/medicare.htm

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHI...Enrollees.html
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:23 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetW
Yes that is correct Iansbury. I was married to a US Citizen but sadly she passed away in 2011. In terms of my immigration, I was bounced back to the 5 year rule.
Sorry to hear that. As Michael says contact SS and ask if you can claim on your late wife's account. You will need her SS number. I haven't paid any SS/Medicare payments and claim medicare via my spouse, and get Part A free and Part B for $104.90.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for your reply ( although I thought it slightly insensitive of Bob to boot me out ) Most appreciated advice.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetW
Thank you everyone for your reply ( although I thought it slightly insensitive of Bob to boot me out ) Most appreciated advice.
Bob didn't boot you out but moved you to the correct forum.