Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A question for the lawyers

A question for the lawyers

Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for the lawyers

Originally Posted by jmood

HungryHorace I'm now scared of you.
lol, don't be silly. That child had it coming though. I wish I could have taken his parents' home, but alas.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

So the criteria for this to apply is how rich you are and not how many days of the year you spend in the UK?
What would the max number of days per year you could spend in the UK be for this to apply?
I suspect this is generally what many use to be domiciled in another country.

You do not intend to remain in the UK permanently or indefinitely

That can probably be interpreted by many different ways by a good lawyer.

Also I said there were penalties but there doesn't appear to be any penalties.

This may work. Before a person returns to the UK, they deposit money in a UK bank account to buy a house and several years of living expenses and the rest is put into the tax free Cayman Islands accounts. Neither is then taxed.

When traveling outside the UK, you withdraw money from a Cayman Islands bank account to pay for transportation, lodging, food, entertainment, etc. which will be tax free from all countries.

Only if you need money to live on in the UK, do you transfer money to the UK and pay UK taxes.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The article also didn't mention that homestead laws in Florida 100% protect a person's primary residence. Therefore if OJ had a $2 million home and owned it outright, that can't be toughed. Most other states only protect the equity in the home to a specific amount and some protect as little as $20,000.
Theoretical question: If the wrongful death lawsuit against him was awarded before he bought the house, he gets the penalty by the court, then he quickly goes and buys property in Florida - is that still all protected and nothing can be done to collect from him?
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Theoretical question: If the wrongful death lawsuit against him was awarded before he bought the house, he gets the penalty by the court, then he quickly goes and buys property in Florida - is that still all protected and nothing can be done to collect from him?
It's hard to know but I suspect anyone with a lot of money that is being sued already has an expensive accountant figuring out ways to hide and safe guard their money long before a judgment is awarded.

Even dumb people like OJ know to do that but he couldn't seem to stay out of prison because of his stupidity of thinking that he got away with murder once so staying out of prison should be easy for a little gangster style armed robbery.