Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to California with children

Emigrating to California with children

Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Scarletino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to California with children

Hi-I'd be really grateful of any advice/tips from anyone who's moved from the UK to CA with youngish children-mine are aged 9,7 and 3. My main concerns are with education/schooling-how much this differs from the uk and also how easily my children will fit into life in the us. Also I'd hope to make friends with other mums and I'm wondering how easily other mums have done this? Any help greatly received!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to California with children

Southern California, Bakersfield, Fresno, Bay Area...?
Quality of life in CA, crime, traffic, smog, availability of drinking water, cost of living etc, can be very dependent on which location you'll be living in.

Public school, private?

(What's the basis of moving, job etc..?)

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 10th 2014 at 2:34 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we need to know where.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 3:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarletino
Hi-I'd be really grateful of any advice/tips from anyone who's moved from the UK to CA with youngish children-mine are aged 9,7 and 3. My main concerns are with education/schooling-how much this differs from the uk and also how easily my children will fit into life in the us. Also I'd hope to make friends with other mums and I'm wondering how easily other mums have done this? Any help greatly received!
Saying you're moving to California, is like saying you're moving to England. We need more specifics on the area to be able to offer help.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Saying you're moving to California, is like saying you're moving to England Europe. We need more specifics on the area to be able to offer help.
FIFY
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
FIFY
In fairness there are state standards which give a little more uniformity.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Sorry!! we are looking at Chino Hills & Irvine at the moment.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Much of education up to age 10 is similar enough that your children will settle in quickly enough. My daughter is seven (approaching eight) and spends most of her school day doing arithmetic, reading/ comprehension and writing exercises, with a scattering of Spanish, science, music, art, and PE mixed in.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 10th 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We were at Eastvale this weekend. I forgot how bad it smells around there! Eastvale is just to the east of Chino (Hills) so I'd do a few smell checks before moving there! Apparently the last of the cow farms is moo-ving (sorry) out soon but when we drove north to the 60 we passed several farms...

Might be alright in Chino Hills though. It's supposed to be a nice area with a few good schools. Traffic on the 60 and the 72 can be a downer though - especially if you have to commute towards LA in the morning and back out in the evening.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those areas look to be affluent with their own school districts (separate from LA).

Major differences you may come across:

More focussed curriculum working to test and grade point average. Things like art, PE, music and computing may be extras at the whim of funding. There may be less technology in the classroom than you are used to. Depending on the demographics if your area, there may be 'Tiger Moms' to contend with.

Drop-off is usually from a car driving through a loop - harder to chat to other moms. They are usually keen to have volunteers in the classroom and that's a good start for getting involved.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks-that's interesting! Yes that's one of my concerns as my husband will be working in and around LA and don't really want him to be stuck in horrendous traffic everyday
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... my husband will be working in and around LA and don't really want him to be stuck in horrendous traffic everyday. ...

Sorry.

You are aware that LA is legendary for it's horrendous traffic congestion, aren't you. It seemed to be well known even in the UK, when I still lived there, that LA is the poster child for how not to organize your roads and transportation .

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 10th 2014 at 5:48 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... my husband will be working in and around LA and don't really want him to be stuck in horrendous traffic everyday

Sorry, but "working in and around LA" and not wanting to be stuck in horrendous traffic are pretty much mutually exclusive.

If you only work in one location then there is some hope of being able to optimize how you get there from home, but if you work in several different locations then the question is not whether you will get stuck in horrendous traffic but how often and for how long ...
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks-that's interesting! Yes that's one of my concerns as my husband will be working in and around LA and don't really want him to be stuck in horrendous traffic everyday
Might want to look at Metrolink (ie trains). Pomona on the Riverside line would probably be the nearest but the service is a bit crap (3 rush hour trains only, IIRC). North Pomona (San Bernadino line) has much better service, obviously a few miles further north.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Irvine has very good schools but if your husband is working in LA he will be spending a lot of time in the car stuck in traffic! I work in Irvine and live 11 miles from work. If I can't take the car pool lane it takes between 30-40 minutes to go those 11 miles!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.