Priceline

Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:05 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Priceline

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I don't mind giving a current rate, here and there, it's when I make a concentrated effort to hunt and twiddle etc to find someone something and then they get amnesia that I kind of get fussfaced. Courtesy,
You know, I never thought of using your talents! I will now, though. We're planning a trip back to the in 2012 for the London Olympics, and you are going to be my first port-of-call when tickets start becoming available.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I know that for many people it's difficult to fly to their destination without having to connect...but I would now only do so if I was on the same airline throughout and on the same PNR (booking reference number) so if you are stranded due to a missed connecting flight, the airline has to take responsibility for you!
Yes, and make sure there are plenty of onward connections otherwise you can be spending more time in the connecting airport than planned.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I would only use Priceline if I was on a non-stop flight (ie. don't want to have to fly to connecting cities) and risk these scenarios:

2) - and it nearly happened to me in Tokyo - the possibility of missing your next connecting flight! (I was flying on United from Singapore to Tokyo, then with Continental from Tokyo to Newark, NJ. The connection was extremely tight in the first place of just under 2 hours - although it was a single booking with Travelocity. My United flight had a delayed departure so I arrived in Tokyo with 40 mins before the CO flight was due to depart (on time). What a nightmare, I caught that flight by the skin of my teeth (crowded security area, had to jump the queue) and run all the way through the terminal.

I know that for many people it's difficult to fly to their destination without having to connect...but I would now only do so if I was on the same airline throughout and on the same PNR (booking reference number) so if you are stranded due to a missed connecting flight, the airline has to take responsibility for you!

A good place to check prices for flights (inc. transit stops/connecting times) is with http://www.kayak.com as you don't book directly with them, it's just a search engine to show you which sites come up with the best fares...often, (although not always) the best deals are by directly booking with the arlines rather than a third party.
Other than the third party comment........it depends on the third party, A couple of additional points, speaking as a pro here.

The trouble is when people book on travel websites, they look at the lowest price, not at what's involved getting it-too short connect, too long connect and the more than one airline combo. IF it involves using more than one airline combo can be a REAL bugaboo if something goes wrong with your flight.

Also schedule changes. Airlines have 'em, especially if you book fairly far out. I have had an airline have a schedule change, and the go ahead and rebook the client automatically. Their reservation comes up on my electronic bulletin board and I see that they now have a misconnect-the new schedule (involving a connecting flight) doesn't make sense-the connecting flight leaves before they get to the airport they connect from. It doesn't happen very often, but it DOES happen. A good third party monitors that, when a too trusting passenger doesn't........
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:50 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
You know, I never thought of using your talents! I will now, though. We're planning a trip back to the in 2012 for the London Olympics, and you are going to be my first port-of-call when tickets start becoming available.
Cindy just got me a fantastic deal flights to London and back. Better than anything I found online on any site
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent 5 years working for an airline and dealing with 3rd party booking issues, I would avoid 3rd party bookings if you can.

Now working in hotels its the same, 3rd party booking issues are almost a daily occurrence.