British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Priceline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/priceline-672734/)

candy wy. Jun 16th 2010 6:11 pm

Priceline

anyone used priceline for airfares? would you use priceline to get a ticket to uk. any thoughts on this..:)

SDDep Jun 16th 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Priceline

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 8637169)
anyone used priceline for airfares? would you use priceline to get a ticket to uk. any thoughts on this..:)

I have, a coupla years ago, and they were ok, they offer straight fares as well as the name your own price thingy...

You will get varying opinions, like everything else, and they wont necessarily get you the lowest price.

It can also be a crapshoot, you dont always know the airline and can get locked in because you give em you payment info and so on...

If you can use any other alternatives, expedia, hotwire etc...or even the airlines, I would....

Englishtart Jun 16th 2010 6:35 pm

We usually use travelocity, never had an issue with them and pretty comparable prices to most others.

Maybe Cindy can help you out? we haven't bought UK tickets for over 6 yrs:(

Englishmum Jun 16th 2010 7:27 pm

I would only use Priceline if I was on a non-stop flight (ie. don't want to have to fly to connecting cities) and risk these scenarios:

1) Having to wait for hours for the next connection

....or worse

2) - and it nearly happened to me in Tokyo - the possibility of missing your next connecting flight! (I was flying on United from Singapore to Tokyo, then with Continental from Tokyo to Newark, NJ. The connection was extremely tight in the first place of just under 2 hours - although it was a single booking with Travelocity. My United flight had a delayed departure so I arrived in Tokyo with 40 mins before the CO flight was due to depart (on time). What a nightmare, I caught that flight by the skin of my teeth (crowded security area, had to jump the queue) and run all the way through the terminal.

I know that for many people it's difficult to fly to their destination without having to connect...but I would now only do so if I was on the same airline throughout and on the same PNR (booking reference number) so if you are stranded due to a missed connecting flight, the airline has to take responsibility for you!

A good place to check prices for flights (inc. transit stops/connecting times) is with http://www.kayak.com as you don't book directly with them, it's just a search engine to show you which sites come up with the best fares...often, (although not always) the best deals are by directly booking with the arlines rather than a third party.

candy wy. Jun 16th 2010 8:45 pm

I usually book direct with the airline but prices are so high this time of year was just wondering about priceline..

no definite plans about going so dont want to waste Cindy's time as it all a maybe at the moment ;)

thanks for your replies:)

tonrob Jun 16th 2010 9:05 pm

Just had an e-mail from BA today announcing an economy sale but must book by the end of this month.

With (a lot more) notice I'd try to get miles and then use those. Credit card companies are literally throwing miles at both new and existing customers right now so if you've got a reasonable credit rating you can fly for very little with advance planning.

The folks on Flyertalk and betterbidding rate Priceline well for obtaining hotels but poor for air travel, for some of the reasons that have been highlighted already on this thread.

candy wy. Jun 16th 2010 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8637519)
Just had an e-mail from BA today announcing an economy sale but must book by the end of this month.

With (a lot more) notice I'd try to get miles and then use those. Credit card companies are literally throwing miles at both new and existing customers right now so if you've got a reasonable credit rating you can fly for very little with advance planning.

The folks on Flyertalk and betterbidding rate Priceline well for obtaining hotels but poor for air travel, for some of the reasons that have been highlighted already on this thread.

I have a chase card with airmiles for united have enough I guess for 1 ticket dont use the card that much probably should use it more..

one of the big problems i have is I have no clue how to book with airmiles:confused:

willmore Jun 16th 2010 9:14 pm

Would like to - have found some great prices, but dont accept canadians.....;)

willmore Jun 16th 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 8637537)
I have a chase card with airmiles for united have enough I guess for 1 ticket dont use the card that much probably should use it more..

one of the big problems i have is I have no clue how to book with airmiles:confused:

When you get to the actual transaction section, do they not prompt you to include your airmiles info?

candy wy. Jun 16th 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 8637549)
When you get to the actual transaction section, do they not prompt you to include your airmiles info?

no with the chase card you buy the ticket then you claim the money back using the airmiles or something like that :confused::confused::confused:

tonrob Jun 16th 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 8637537)

Flyertalk is the definitive resource for this area in my book. I've spent a ton of time on there over the last couple of years and saved literally thousands on travel. Each airline has its own forum section and many have extensive Wikis that simplify the various reward programs and explain how to get the best bang-for-your-buck with your points.

cranston Jun 16th 2010 11:48 pm

I used them 2 days ago. I am very happy (so far) with their service and prices.

tonrob Jun 16th 2010 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 8637778)
I used them 2 days ago. I am very happy (so far) with their service and prices.

For flights or hotels?

Englishmum Jun 17th 2010 12:04 am

Where are you located Candy.....Wyoming?

When do you want to travel?

I'm asking as there is a budget airline which has seasonal flights until the end of August from Newark, NJ and Winnipeg, Canada to London Gatwick via Reykjavik.

The prices vary of course depending on when you travel, but some of the fares are incredibly cheap eg. last night a one-way flight (inc. taxes) from Newark to London Gatwick was $198 with a baggage allowance of 30kg (66lbs) plus 10kg (22lbs) in the cabin.

You just have to play around with the dates.....and try and get a cheap flight to Newark (EWR) or Winnipeg...:)

http://www.icelandexpress.com/ (you can get prices in US$ or GB Pounds)

or perhaps try:

http://www.icelandair.com

cindyabs Jun 17th 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 8637463)
I usually book direct with the airline but prices are so high this time of year was just wondering about priceline..

no definite plans about going so dont want to waste Cindy's time as it all a maybe at the moment ;)

thanks for your replies:)

I don't mind giving a current rate, here and there, it's when I make a concentrated effort to hunt and twiddle etc to find someone something and then they get amnesia that I kind of get fussfaced. Courtesy, ;)