Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by The Moose
Fair enough - I'm a habitual cash carrier I'm afraid. Always a few hundred in one pocket or another, glove box etc
A few hundred pennies, amirite ...

I have to say, minor inconveniences aside, I don't miss the pocketful of change I used to end up coming home from the pub with back home. I swear sometimes I'd have twenty quid in 50p and £1 coins in there after a night out.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A few hundred pennies, amirite ...

I have to say, minor inconveniences aside, I don't miss the pocketful of change I used to end up coming home from the pub with back home. I swear sometimes I'd have twenty quid in 50p and £1 coins in there after a night out.
I know that feeling...and it's almost worse here in the US because with the sales tax, everything is a funny amount.

I hate the thought of not being able to put gas in the tank or buy something to eat if the card networks go down for whatever reason. Sounds a bit apocalyptic I know (honestly, I'm not a prepper) however in the UK we'd occasionally get a few hours here or there with one bank or anothers card processing down for half a day. Just my luck would mean it was when I needed a tank full of gas!

By keeping some cash on me I limit that risk - and round here a few hundred in cash isn't unusual to see in a wallet.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know that feeling...and it's almost worse here in the US because with the sales tax, everything is a funny amount.

I hate the thought of not being able to put gas in the tank or buy something to eat if the card networks go down for whatever reason. Sounds a bit apocalyptic I know (honestly, I'm not a prepper) however in the UK we'd occasionally get a few hours here or there with one bank or anothers card processing down for half a day. Just my luck would mean it was when I needed a tank full of gas!

By keeping some cash on me I limit that risk - and round here a few hundred in cash isn't unusual to see in a wallet.
My problem is, if I have even $50.00 of cash on me, it gets spent. On things like sweets and crap I don't need. The bank helps save me from myself
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

My problem is, if I have even $50.00 of cash on me, it gets spent. On things like sweets and crap I don't need. The bank helps save me from myself
Just shows how we're all different - I hate breaking a $100 bill so to stop myself spending, I'm best to have those!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:34 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Just shows how we're all different - I hate breaking a $100 bill so to stop myself spending, I'm best to have those!
I wont drive across the street to save 5 cents per gallon, hell I am only buying 8 or 9 gallons... either $19.00 or $19.45 for a fill up Whatever is most convenient.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Jumped from $1.91 to $2.29 overnight. I knew I should have filled up yesterday.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They might as well hang a sign outside that says, "Bring a gun and rob us". IMO that alone is a good enough reason to not want to hang around anywhere near such a gas station.

Most business owners who encourage the use of cash don't appreciate the additional risks that they are creating for themselves and their employees.
It's odd because the liability insurance is increased because of that risk, which would negate any potential extra earnings from the cash price I would have thought.

Local place in town, clears about $20-30K in cash a day during the end of the week and weekend but usually does a drop off a couple times a day....but that's a lot of cash to have lying around.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's odd because the liability insurance is increased because of that risk, which would negate any potential extra earnings from the cash price I would have thought.

Local place in town, clears about $20-30K in cash a day during the end of the week and weekend but usually does a drop off a couple times a day....but that's a lot of cash to have lying around.
Agreed, on all points. Insurance likely has a cap on cash covered, and the reason most businesses are not concerned about the credit card fees is that accepting electronic payments greatly reduces the cost of insurance, as well as armoured car cash collections and/or the risk that their employees are attacked during a robbery either on the premises or on the way to the bank. Not to mention that banks charge commercial businesses a percentage cash handling fee when they make cash deposits!

It is also why many businesses, notably groceries and gas stations, will give cash back on a debit card or cash your payroll check - they collect a fee from you, but perhaps more importantly it dissipates the cash takings without having to take them to the bank.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 2nd 2017 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:57 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

2 fricken 49.9 and holding. Actually I wish that my state woukld taker advantage of current prices and impose a 25 cents per gallon for road and bridge maintenance. The last time a significant gas tax increase was passed it went strongly to improving bike lanes. Just how you ask? Well take a 3 lane road with a mid turn lane and make it one each way with no mid turn lane but add bike lanes, used at least a dozen times per hour...
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
2 fricken 49.9 and holding. Actually I wish that my state woukld taker advantage of current prices and impose a 25 cents per gallon for road and bridge maintenance. The last time a significant gas tax increase was passed it went strongly to improving bike lanes. Just how you ask? Well take a 3 lane road with a mid turn lane and make it one each way with no mid turn lane but add bike lanes, used at least a dozen times per hour...
I bet it'd be a few cents cheaper if you lazy sods got out of your cars and pumped it yourselves

$2.18 today if anyone gives a shit. I was in Chicago this morning for work - well over $2.50 there. It was fun watching prices drop as I came back north again
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Still holding steady at $2.029 this morning!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I bet it'd be a few cents cheaper if you lazy sods got out of your cars and pumped it yourselves
I have to get out and watch them pump my gas. They have a tendency to try to clean my paintwork with gasoline. Also occasionally some idiot will drive off with pump still attached and nobody is paying attention.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have to get out and watch them pump my gas. They have a tendency to try to clean my paintwork with gasoline. Also occasionally some idiot will drive off with pump still attached and nobody is paying attention.
Hang on, are they missing the opening to the petrol tank, thus spunking away more petrol than you need, and then charging you for it?

Self-serve all the way.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Much prefer to sit in the warm watching them pump the gas and clean my windows.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lansbury
Much prefer to sit in the warm watching them pump the gas and clean my windows.
You haven't lived until you've filled up your car in -40F with the wind gusting to 30. It really wakes you up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.