Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PR versus Citizen?

PR versus Citizen?

Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR versus Citizen?

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Thanks for answering once again. I am in the process of researching my questions in depth. I am not the type of person to not pay/file taxes, and do realize there is a chance I may decide to come back to the US in the future. Nobody can predict the future as I have read over and over on these threads. Thank you for all of your help.
I just noticed your 'location'.. no wonder you want to get out of there right now! Hope all has been OK for you out there.. sunny & almost 60 today here, go figure.

You can use the Advanced search for posts by Folinskyinla on the search word abandonment. He's an immigration attorney who has made a bit of a specialty out of that topic.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:45 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Nun - so if you were a Permanent Resident and moved to the UK how long would you have to file taxes for? I am a PR right now and will be moving back to the UK because that is where I want to live for the rest of my life (been here 20 years).

The only thing that concerns me about the future is visiting the US after I have lost my Permanent Resident status. I have great friends over here who I want to visit. I hope that visiting will not be a problem, will it (without my PR status)? The only reason I would get USC is to lock in the fact that I can travel back here for visits without any problems.
It used to be that if you left the US and gave up the GC you still had to file with the IRS for 10 years, but I think they put an income limit on it now and if your net worth is less than $2M they don't make you do it anymore. But if you have any money in the US, like retirement funds in 401ks etc, even if you are in the UK you'll still have to file with the IRS when you start taking income form them.

The really nasty thing is when you are a US citizen living in the UK as you can't take advantage of ISAs or invest in UK based Unit Trusts.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I have a lot of good advice to chew on right now

meauxna - I will do an advanced search. Thank you.

Over and out for now.

Marmalade.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I just noticed your 'location'.. no wonder you want to get out of there right now! Hope all has been OK for you out there.. sunny & almost 60 today here, go figure.

You can use the Advanced search for posts by Folinskyinla on the search word abandonment. He's an immigration attorney who has made a bit of a specialty out of that topic.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Aren't you having some crummy weather.. I've been concerned for you, too!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Aren't you having some crummy weather.. I've been concerned for you, too!
Ohhh! You meant because of the weather!

It's been kind of chilly lately, but I'm a cold weather person so I don't mind. This ice storm business does suck though...