Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PR versus Citizen?

PR versus Citizen?

Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR versus Citizen?

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I had been thinking that changes would occur ever since 9/11 as deeper paranoia set in, but hadn't heard of anything. My preference is to remain a PR but I may have to rethink my options again.
Well same here and I am not risking losing what I have here in the US as I do not want to ever live back in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:02 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't live there anymore either. I go back once a year and whilst I enjoy popping into the pub for a pint I feel more like a visitor each trip. Most of my old buddies and my family all bemoan the decline of everything English. I suppose its time for me to become an American Tourist.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't live there anymore either. I go back once a year and whilst I enjoy popping into the pub for a pint I feel more like a visitor each trip. Most of my old buddies and my family all bemoan the decline of everything English. I suppose its time for me to become an American Tourist.
The Gap has decent Khaki shorts, you might have to look around a little for a decent Hawaiian shirt, but here's a tip... The Goodwill shop.
You'll have to work on the accent and volume yourself.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I would only take US Citizenship if you are planning to stay in the US for the rest of your life, feel that you MUST vote in US elections, need it for a job, or want to do it for family or emotional reasons.
Most people get it either to bring family over, or because they want to leave...

And cost of renewing v citizenship, might as well get citizenship before it goes up even more...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: PR versus Citizen?

I suppose its time for me to become an American Tourist.
In that case, in preparation for your next visit to Blighty follow these instructions;

1) Buy a white, flat cap

2) Buy a Beige lightweight jacket

3) Buy plaid trousers

4) All of the above are to be worn with startling white tennis shoes.

I drove Coach Loads of the above described people around, when I drove in the UK.

Happy days!

Jim.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was chatting to an Immigration Officer a few weeks back and he told me as soon as you are eligible to file for Citizenship do it, because there are going to be major changes over the next few years and being a permanent resident will not secure your status here in the US, get the Citizenship application filled ASAP.
And it's not just the laws as they are written/interpreted today that you have to worry about, it's the ones they will change that will affect you as a PR.

Without looking up and posting the details, one example from our state is a woman who had been a PR for 10 years and was living with her US citizen spouse and kids, peacefully toiling away.
However, DHS decided that they were going to interpret things differently, and this woman's 10 year old marijuana crime was brought to light (it had been dealt with at the time of her adjustment and allegedly settled) and she was deported post haste.

Now, you may not have a skeleton like that in your closet, but what if one you DO have is re-interpreted? Being a citizen cures that concern.

I don't really see the downside. Even the tax filing will become a non-issue as it gets easier every time.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Even the tax filing will become a non-issue as it gets easier every time.
That's true, once you have the UK and US tax stuff worked out, but its a pain to get there. However, my tax objection doesn't really hold water as even if I hadn't taken US citizenship when I go back to the UK I'd still have to file with the IRS as all my retirement funds are in the US.

I think the sensible thing is to get the US citizenship and just accept that you'll never be able to visit Cuba. The thing that ticks me off most about becoming a US citizen is that all the citizens by birth are so happy for you. Its sort of like joining a cult where everyone is glad that you have "seen the light" and joined the greatest country on Earth. They get a bit pissed off when I say I just did it as "insurance" to protect my finances which are all in the US. Who knows how the US will tax or penalize the savings of PRs or ex PRs in the future.

I once went for a US Government Security Clearance as was asked if I would give up my UK passport to show a "sole preference for the US", I said no and there ended my career in the US defense industry, but I'm glad that I was honest. When it comes down to it I'm British and the US citizenship is just a convenience, I'll always follow the laws that apply to a US citizen, but I'm not enthusiastic about it.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:46 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

And it's not just the laws as they are written/interpreted today that you have to worry about, it's the ones they will change that will affect you as a PR.

Without looking up and posting the details, one example from our state is a woman who had been a PR for 10 years and was living with her US citizen spouse and kids, peacefully toiling away.
However, DHS decided that they were going to interpret things differently, and this woman's 10 year old marijuana crime was brought to light (it had been dealt with at the time of her adjustment and allegedly settled) and she was deported post haste.

Now, you may not have a skeleton like that in your closet, but what if one you DO have is re-interpreted? Being a citizen cures that concern.

I don't really see the downside. Even the tax filing will become a non-issue as it gets easier every time.
Wow...thats pretty scary I don't have any skeletons like that but it is frightening to think that they would break up a family over something that had, allegedly, been sorted out. I did have a DUI 20 years ago when I was a young lout like all of my mates at the time but that was a misdemeanor and declared when all the AOS forms were filed etc. I think naturalization is the way to go....thank you all.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:49 pm
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by nun
I once went for a US Government Security Clearance as was asked if I would give up my UK passport to show a "sole preference for the US", I said no and there ended my career in the US defense industry, but I'm glad that I was honest. When it comes down to it I'm British and the US citizenship is just a convenience, I'll always follow the laws that apply to a US citizen, but I'm not enthusiastic about it.
Good for you
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
That's true, once you have the UK and US tax stuff worked out, but its a pain to get there. However, my tax objection doesn't really hold water as even if I hadn't taken US citizenship when I go back to the UK I'd still have to file with the IRS as all my retirement funds are in the US.

I think the sensible thing is to get the US citizenship and just accept that you'll never be able to visit Cuba. The thing that ticks me off most about becoming a US citizen is that all the citizens by birth are so happy for you. Its sort of like joining a cult where everyone is glad that you have "seen the light" and joined the greatest country on Earth. They get a bit pissed off when I say I just did it as "insurance" to protect my finances which are all in the US. Who knows how the US will tax or penalize the savings of PRs or ex PRs in the future.

Cuba is out for ANYone living under US jurisdiction, so if you're here, it's out anyway. Hopefully that will end in my lifetime because all that witholding has made me totally curious about the place.

I saw your posts on the security clearance thing.. I can see their side to it, but I'm sorry if you feel it's limited your options.

About the 'congratulations' thing.. well, my DH is still please that USCs still make a point of congratulating him. I don't think either of us really considered it the way you state it but maybe it's a question of getting back what you're putting out. If you've lived here long enough to naturalize, surely you realize that most people who say that are being friendly and acknowledging your 'achievement' or effort. Maybe your act (of naturalizing) is taken as a compliment by these people?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...thats pretty scary I don't have any skeletons like that but it is frightening to think that they would break up a family over something that had, allegedly, been sorted out. I did have a DUI 20 years ago when I was a young lout like all of my mates at the time but that was a misdemeanor and declared when all the AOS forms were filed etc. I think naturalization is the way to go....thank you all.
Yes, come on in, and drink the COOLAIDE. I'm increasingly depressed at living in the US and the way the UK is fast fulfilling all of Orwell's 1984 predictions. Does anyone know if an EU citizen can easily move to Iceland; that's somewhere I enjoyed living
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:12 pm

DUI is a good example, since that is one that has recently been reinterpreted in the Consular visa processing.. this concerns not just drunk driving, but 'alcohol related offenses'.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_3267.html

Cases are referred back to the panel physician for mental health evaluation!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Cuba is out for ANYone living under US jurisdiction, so if you're here, it's out anyway. Hopefully that will end in my lifetime because all that witholding has made me totally curious about the place.

I saw your posts on the security clearance thing.. I can see their side to it, but I'm sorry if you feel it's limited your options.

About the 'congratulations' thing.. well, my DH is still please that USCs still make a point of congratulating him. I don't think either of us really considered it the way you state it but maybe it's a question of getting back what you're putting out. If you've lived here long enough to naturalize, surely you realize that most people who say that are being friendly and acknowledging your 'achievement' or effort. Maybe your act (of naturalizing) is taken as a compliment by these people?
I completely agree that you should be totally loyal to the US if you want a clearance. I don't think the answers that lead to my rejection limited my options at all. It's a good process as it made me realize that I didn't want to give up my freedom of action for a job and I ended up getting into biology after 20 years in aerospace and I now have more transferable skills.

I agree that the USCs are genuinely happy for you when you get US citizenship, but it's done with the same sentiments as a Mooney or other cult follower welcoming a new convert; it's well intentioned, but I still think its a bit lame. There is an assumption that the US is the best country in the world and that you must be happy to be joining. At some level 90% of US citizens are arrogant and hypocritical in their "American-ness". That 90% are usually also really nice people who are very generous and great to have at parties, but they have no sense of perspective or irony when it comes to their country and citizenship compared to other countries and foreigners. Phewwww what a rant if the NSA is monitoring this they'll deport me - oh wait I'm a USC so they can't
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:19 pm
Dis-Member

DUI is a good example, since that is one that has recently been reinterpreted in the Consular visa processing.. this concerns not just drunk driving, but 'alcohol related offenses'.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_3267.html

Cases are referred back to the panel physician for mental health evaluation!
Just as an aside then, if I applied for citizenship which was then denied based on a 20 year old misdemeanor, could they revoke my LPR status at the same time?

This inquiry is now no longer about choice rather its about the security of my family in the future. :curse:
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Just as an aside then, if I applied for citizenship which was then denied based on a 20 year old misdemeanor, could they revoke my LPR status at the same time?

This inquiry is now no longer about choice rather its about the security of my family in the future. :curse:
I'm not sure how this would be handled, but I can see how worrying this is. I find it hard to believe that a GC holder with a 20 year old DUI would be denied citizenship. Will a relative be sponsoring you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.