Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PR versus Citizen?

PR versus Citizen?

Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:27 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR versus Citizen?

I have been a PR for 18 years and have always thought that I would remain that way because I did not want to renounce the old country. I also thought, apparently wrongly, that I couldn't have dual citizenship but having arrived to this party recently I read that many people do have it.

As another renewal date looms ahead for the GC, which is the best way to go?

My limited reasoning always thought that the only advantages to being a USC was that I would be able to vote for bozo A over bozo B and to enjoy the thrills of jury duty. How wrong am I and should I renew the GC again or start the naturalization process? I would appreciate any thoughts from those of you that have done this before and sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:36 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR versus Citizen?

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I have been a PR for 18 years and have always thought that I would remain that way because I did not want to renounce the old country. I also thought, apparently wrongly, that I couldn't have dual citizenship but having arrived to this party recently I read that many people do have it.

My limited reasoning always thought that the only advantages to being a USC was that I would be able to vote for bozo A over bozo B and to enjoy the thrills of jury duty. How wrong am I and should I renew the GC again or start the naturalization process? I would appreciate any thoughts from those of you that have done this before and sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

As a USC you would also become the target rather than the instigator of the barbs being thrown about.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

A second nationality. May be a help somewhere down the line.
Some USC only jobs open up.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:38 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
As a USC you would also become the target rather than the instigator of the barbs being thrown about.
Good point
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

* You are eligible for certain jobs (mainly in national security)
* You have better treatment of your estate after you die.
* It is very difficult to revoke your citizenship, unlike a green card.
* You can 'test the waters' back in the UK if you ever want to leave for a year or two, and still have the right to return to the US.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I took out citizenship. For me it made more sense. No more worrying about greencards and renewal dates. My advice would be to go for it. The other reason I wanted to do it, and maybe someone else can verify this, is that I heard that if you are a citizen you can claim your US pension overseas. If you are a greencard holder you must be in the US to claim it. Is that true??
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pro%27...US_Citizenship
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
During the US citizenship ceremony, the "renouncing" of British citizenship does not actually have any impact on your British citizenship because it is not done in front of a British consular official.

I had my US citizenship ceremony in 2007 and this had no impact on my holding British citizenship or using a British passport e.g. entering the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:15 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

I've been asked and have been thinking about this for years.
Never even been close to a decision
Thanks for posting that. Makes things a lot clearer.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The oath does not require you to renounce your citizenship, and as has been said it would be irrelevant if it did.
If you read it very carefully, unless you were a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces it means very little.
Not having to deal with the USCIS would be my number one.
It was not my intent to do so, but the way the system is set up, it's a no brainer.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
Dis-Member

Thank you...that does quite clearly list the pros and cons. Now all I have to do is decide which way to go.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I would only take US Citizenship if you are planning to stay in the US for the rest of your life, feel that you MUST vote in US elections, need it for a job, or want to do it for family or emotional reasons.

I believe that you'll get SS wherever you reside because you have a SS# and you can also use the US/UK reciprocal SS agreement. If you've kept up NI contributions you'll get pensions from the US and the UK.

If you've managed with a GC for 18 years and none of the above apply why change. I took US citizenship about 10 years ago and its made my life more complicated as I plan to retire to the UK and I'll always have to file US taxes as they tax on citizenship, not residence.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The oath does not require you to renounce your citizenship, and as has been said it would be irrelevant if it did.
If you read it very carefully, unless you were a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces it means very little.
Not having to deal with the USCIS would be my number one.
It was not my intent to do so, but the way the system is set up, it's a no brainer.
Not specifically, but you have to "renounce all former allegiances" and if you have a GC the interaction with USCIS is minimal.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting to an Immigration Officer a few weeks back and he told me as soon as you are eligible to file for Citizenship do it, because there are going to be major changes over the next few years and being a permanent resident will not secure your status here in the US, get the Citizenship application filled ASAP.
I was like you and thought what the heck, not any more I will be filling in just over a year....I suggest for your own piece of mind you do the same.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:44 pm
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was chatting to an Immigration Officer a few weeks back and he told me as soon as you are eligible to file for Citizenship do it, because there are going to be major changes over the next few years and being a permanent resident will not secure your status here in the US, get the Citizenship application filled ASAP.
I was like you and thought what the heck, not any more I will be filling in just over a year....I suggest for your own piece of mind you do the same.
I had been thinking that changes would occur ever since 9/11 as deeper paranoia set in, but hadn't heard of anything. My preference is to remain a PR but I may have to rethink my options again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.