Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Wikiposts

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Old May 10th 2006, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
ha ha - to make it worse I just blanked you

Oh no! Davy's shooting blanks.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Stop trying to nick my boyfriend!!!
Old May 10th 2006, 11:11 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your discretion
Old May 10th 2006, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your discretion
That's Ok we'll just keep it our little secret.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

That's Ok we'll just keep it our little secret.
I've warned you!
Old May 10th 2006, 11:15 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

So you're not a fan of Hoffman Estates then ??
Nope although schaumburg seems ok

metro is good from ohare, but hoffman estates is a HUGE trek
Old May 10th 2006, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
I've warned you!
Hey.......don't mess with me I'm from Joizey........my family are in the waste management business.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 10th 2006 at 11:17 am.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:17 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't mess with me I'm from Joizey.
We're all made in NJ, or is it maid?
Old May 10th 2006, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We're all made in NJ, or is it maid?
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but
Old May 10th 2006, 11:24 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Nope although schaumburg seems ok

metro is good from ohare, but hoffman estates is a HUGE trek
Your mate must have a fair size of a house in HE for $300k, no ???
Old May 10th 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

The reason for the sponsorship is that no-one in the US office is capable of doing the job even though it's not that senior a position.

Because quality testing (at least in their field) in the main isn't carried out in the US (boy do u get sold some dangerous stuff!!) and she has 6.5 years experience of the role, her contacts with the suppliers are current from the UK office and she is obviously familiar with the company she's in a unique position.

They need her to do the role and ensure the company complies with the new legislation coming into force in 2007, but not senior enough to command a higher salary.

Also £25k isn't a bad salary in the UK - with $40k being the equivalent all things being roughly equal (some things higher, some lower) and if I get an OK job (even better if I get a job similar to those I've done) plus the bonus of a fresh start with no credit bills makes this seem like a chance worth considering. (Oh and the fact that we love being in the US - before anyone says anything I realise living there's different to a vacation lol).

Additionally I'm assuming from the type of forum this is some of you understand our interest in a change of eenvironmentand the diversity that brings into your lives. Not all of this is based on is this a good career/financial move although of course this is very important to consider.

Identical roles to those I've done in the UK in the local area command a salary around $60k but some (not all) ads seems anal about the BA/BS requirement, which isn't the same here. My intelligence is more than enough to obtain a degree, which should be apparent from the roles I've done for the high profile company I was with. I just took a different path as I wanted (and needed) to be earning when I got to 18.

As an example it took me the last three/four weeks to get a role slightly below my previous role after I took redundancy from my last place of work. It was simply a case of have you done the job before? Examples of experience? OK, we'll get you in for an interview.

In my mind other than the benefits which we need to very careful around as they make a great deal of difference, the main issue is how quickly will I get a job and what that may be.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Just one other thing - who of you are expats and who are the natives?
Old May 10th 2006, 11:44 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottMc
The reason for the sponsorship is that no-one in the US office is capable of doing the job even though it's not that senior a position.

Because quality testing (at least in their field) in the main isn't carried out in the US (boy do u get sold some dangerous stuff!!) and she has 6.5 years experience of the role, her contacts with the suppliers are current from the UK office and she is obviously familiar with the company she's in a unique position.

They need her to do the role and ensure the company complies with the new legislation coming into force in 2007, but not senior enough to command a higher salary.

Also £25k isn't a bad salary in the UK - with $40k being the equivalent all things being roughly equal (some things higher, some lower) and if I get an OK job (even better if I get a job similar to those I've done) plus the bonus of a fresh start with no credit bills makes this seem like a chance worth considering. (Oh and the fact that we love being in the US - before anyone says anything I realise living there's different to a vacation lol).

Additionally I'm assuming from the type of forum this is some of you understand our interest in a change of eenvironmentand the diversity that brings into your lives. Not all of this is based on is this a good career/financial move although of course this is very important to consider.

Identical roles to those I've done in the UK in the local area command a salary around $60k but some (not all) ads seems anal about the BA/BS requirement, which isn't the same here. My intelligence is more than enough to obtain a degree, which should be apparent from the roles I've done for the high profile company I was with. I just took a different path as I wanted (and needed) to be earning when I got to 18.

As an example it took me the last three/four weeks to get a role slightly below my previous role after I took redundancy from my last place of work. It was simply a case of have you done the job before? Examples of experience? OK, we'll get you in for an interview.

In my mind other than the benefits which we need to very careful around as they make a great deal of difference, the main issue is how quickly will I get a job and what that may be.
I know others have said it already, but you really need to be aware that very few companies will bend the rules at all when it comes to not having a degree. If they say the position requires a degree then they won't even interview you without one, regardless of experience... and that's for American applicants. Add to that their distrust of foreign experience, and you'll be lucky to find any job at the level you're describing doing in the UK.

It's not a good thing. In fact, in my current position I have argued strongly against it, and tried to change my company's policy on certain jobs requiring a degree, but progressive though my company is, I was unable to make any change whatsoever.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:45 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

On this thread nearly all expats, why?
Old May 10th 2006, 11:45 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an expat, as is pretty much everyone contributing to this thread. Why do you ask?

edit: Jinx, Gruff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.