Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Old May 10th 2006, 2:11 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Originally Posted by Hiro11
A few clarification points:
1. Re: $150K average household income in a nice Chicago suburb. I live in a relatively nice town (not Hinsdale, but nice) and that's the average household (not personal) income in my neighborhood. The job market's pretty good in Chicago. Payscale isn't quite New York, but it ain't Houston either.
I have no idea where you live Hiro, but someone once posted a link to a site on these boards that had various lists of top 20 areas in the US based on house price, household income, etc.
$150k would have placed you very close to that top 20 (4 or 5 chicago burbs where on the list - Barrington and Long grove to name 2) - it is hardly a typical figure imo.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I have no idea where you live Hiro, but someone once posted a link to a site on these boards that had various lists of top 20 areas in the US based on house price, household income, etc.
$150k would have placed you very close to that top 20 (4 or 5 chicago burbs where on the list - Barrington and Long grove to name 2) - it is hardly a typical figure imo.
Davy don't worry about shooting blanks, you gave me one a few days ago.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:15 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Davy don't worry about shooting blanks, you gave me one a few days ago.
Ahh - how could i forget
Old May 10th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do L1s need LC? I recall a BE member on an L1 getting his GC recently in under 2 years. I also know someone whose husband is here on an L1 and he did not need LC before they could abbly for AOS. Or does it depend on whether the person is an L1a or L1b?

DAK?
I came here on an L1A and didn't go through LC. Still took the best part of 19 months (TX). Not sure about L1B though.

- Tim
Old May 10th 2006, 2:40 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

I know Chicago quite well having lived there about five years (but mostly in the downtown area which is quite pricey). $40k will not be nearly enough to live comfortably in the downtown area where rentals are usually sky-high (meaning high-rises/skyscrapers). You could find a one bedroom apartment in the burbs, but keep in mind that you will almost certainly need a car. One advantage of living and working downtown is that one does not need a car, everything is either within walking distance or a 5/10 minute cab ride (many high rises are mixed use buildings and have a supermarket, a choice of restaurants, hair cutters/designers, etc. There are loads of cabs downtown, but hardly any in the burbs and shops and stuff tend to be more spread out, hence you will need a car in the burbs. If I can offer any tip, live in a hotel for the first few weeks while you find an apartment. Without a credit rating you might want to rent off a private landlord, if so, go with a private landlord that owns a building with 5 or more apartments and try and talk to people who live there before signing on the dotted line. But if your spouse's employer is willing to rent an apartment and get it deducted from your spouse's salary, this would get around the lack of credit rating problem. But it's going to be tough for you guys. As they say, there's no free lunch.

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Hi All,

I've been reading the posts and there's some great information here. I was wondering if any of you would like to share your opinion on our situation.

Basically it a "should we or shouldn't we?" moment.

I've been looking through the info and we don't seem to have any issues with the visas, labor certification and GC.

My wife will be going over on an intra company transfer to start a section in the US offices that currently doesn't exist. (Testing goods to legislative standards, bit like trading standards).

They have stated that the equivalent salary is around the 40k mark plus benefits (including insurance but don't know amounts and coverage yet).

I'm putting together a lengthy list of questions for her employer regarding actual net salary, health benefits, relocation assistance etc.

I do not hold a degree which from the other posts seems to be a key in obtaining many roles. I'm highly experienced in contact centre work, having been a process/project worker, team leader, co-ordinator etc for a number of years.

I understand this has been a declining market due to outsourcing but hope to get a reasonable job within a short span of time and hope this is possible if I dedicate myself to my search correctly.

We will be moving to the Chicago area.

Bottom line after reading up on the various insurance requirements, how property rentals work etc I foresee quite an initial outlay and some risk involved in the move which is excepted. We have a small amount of savings to take with us which I hope to keep most of to assist if everything goes well and we require a home loan deposit.

What I would like are people's opinions on our situation - given the above salary do you think in your opinion it's work the risks and are the rewards of living in the USA enough that a moderate salary like the one above (plus hopefully a similar salary from myself after a period) will eventually offset my worries of the reduction in job security/role protection in the US as opposed to the UK?

Sorry about the length of the post and the individual circumstances but I'd like the opinions of some of you that have "been there done that"

Thanks,

Scott
Old May 10th 2006, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You're right, damnit!

I'm so busy pointing out the obstacles that I've forgotten that the first thing I meant to say was GO FOR IT!

As you say, without kids they may as well give it a shot, and see what happens.

Still, better to be forewarned about the potential issues, eh? I certainly would have appreciated a heads-up on some of the immigration stuff that we should have learned about before we decided to move!
Dr. Pepper.. what's the worst that could happen....

Old May 10th 2006, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Dr. Pepper.. what's the worst that could happen....

Would love to karma you for that.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an involvement with a Company heavily involvd with Product Testing, Intertek. And I seem to remember they had a couple of principal competitors.

Should be able to get a US wage comparison by looking around.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Thanks all - starting to get an idea of where the salary should be by using salary.com...and your right they should be paying at least $60 but anywhere up to $100!!!

Not a bad difference.

At first I thought a few of you were being harsh but I can see where your coming from. I don't mind a certain amount of pressure, after all I wouldn't expect to have a great lifestyle if only one of us worked here either, so I wouldn't expect it there.

Your pointers are going to be invaluable in bargaining and getting a package worth the move.

Let me turn this on it's head a little. What's the minimum you think you need 2 people to live on in the suburbs (rental on a small place, decent groceries, car paid up front out of savings)?

If we can get a manageable figure and I have to get a poorly paid job but throw down the cash to work towards a degree it may be a viable long term plan.

I live in the suburbs now (also could be called the ghetto - not too nice!!) and so the issues with few ammenities etc are not a worry. We're after a nice quiet life during our working week and can always travel at weekends if we want something more.

Jerseygirl, in terms of things left behind -not a lot for us it's sad to say. Wife has no family and I only have a very small family. No "real" friends (interesting reading the threads on friends here, so true).
Old May 10th 2006, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - starting to get an idea of where the salary should be by using salary.com...and your right they should be paying at least $60 but anywhere up to $100!!!

Not a bad difference.

At first I thought a few of you were being harsh but I can see where your coming from. I don't mind a certain amount of pressure, after all I wouldn't expect to have a great lifestyle if only one of us worked here either, so I wouldn't expect it there.

Your pointers are going to be invaluable in bargaining and getting a package worth the move.

Let me turn this on it's head a little. What's the minimum you think you need 2 people to live on in the suburbs (rental on a small place, decent groceries, car paid up front out of savings)?

If we can get a manageable figure and I have to get a poorly paid job but throw down the cash to work towards a degree it may be a viable long term plan.

I live in the suburbs now (also could be called the ghetto - not too nice!!) and so the issues with few ammenities etc are not a worry. We're after a nice quiet life during our working week and can always travel at weekends if we want something more.

Jerseygirl, in terms of things left behind -not a lot for us it's sad to say. Wife has no family and I only have a very small family. No "real" friends (interesting reading the threads on friends here, so true).
I didn't particularly mean friends and family. Its the way of life, everything you have been used to, the day to day things. Like I said before read through the threads on the Moving back to UK forum as well as this forum.

IMO you certainly don't want to live in a ghetto, especially in the Chicago area. By the way most rentals are for 12 months, something to think about in case you decide to return after 3 months. Try to get the company to rent you somewhere for the first 3 months. Have you ever been to Chicago? My husbands company initially wanted us to move to Chicago and paid for us to spend 2 weeks there to get a feel for the area. I don't think its unreasonable for you to want to take a look at the place you will be living before you actually agree to move there. If the company want you to relocate you certainly shouldn't take a drop in your standard of living.

Ask the company if they will pay an accountant to sort your taxes out for the first couple of years.

If you are thinking about taking a degree whilst you are here you might be in for a huge shock, it is much more expensive than the UK.

BTW its not wise to mention names on an open forum, large companies track such sites.

We don't mean to be harsh, just trying to give you the benefit of our experience.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 11th 2006 at 12:00 am.
Old May 11th 2006, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Thanks Jerseygirl - I know it's not intentional and it is the reality check we need before making such a big decision.

Everyone's certainly giving me plenty of info (or is that ammo) to help try to negotiate a better deal.

I've already said to my Wife that we won't go over if they offer $40k and little assistance after everyones comments after seeing what the actual closest comparison salary was on salary.com
Old May 11th 2006, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl - I know it's not intentional and it is the reality check we need before making such a big decision.

Everyone's certainly giving me plenty of info (or is that ammo) to help try to negotiate a better deal.

I've already said to my Wife that we won't go over if they offer $40k and little assistance after everyones comments after seeing what the actual closest comparison salary was on salary.com

I presume your wife would be transferring to the US company after the initial 3 month period. An employee here usually does not have the same employment rights as in the UK. US employers seem to be able to terminate employment at will, with little or no compensation.

I still find it confusing that the company would go to so much expense and trouble for such a junior position. If she is so valuable to them make them pay up, much easier to do that now than trying to get more money out of them later. Once you are here on a visa they've gotcha, if she leaves the company you'll have to leave the US.
Old May 11th 2006, 1:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Once you are here on a visa they've gotcha, if she leaves the company you'll have to leave the US.
This can't be emphasised too often - which is why the contract and the package has to be nailed before she signs on the dotte dline.

As for the idea of getting a degree - very worthwhile, of course, but at least for the first year he'd be paying International Fees. I don't know how much these would be at colleges in the Chicago area, but UC IFs now run to over $20k a year (and textbooks typically cost around $100 each :scared: )
Old May 11th 2006, 1:58 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This can't be emphasised too often - which is why the contract and the package has to be nailed before she signs on the dotte dline.

As for the idea of getting a degree - very worthwhile, of course, but at least for the first year he'd be paying International Fees. I don't know how much these would be at colleges in the Chicago area, but UC IFs now run to over $20k a year (and textbooks typically cost around $100 each :scared: )
International fees? I think you mean out of state fees and these probably only apply to the state school in Chicago (UIC, The University of Illinois at Chicago).

As far as private Chicago colleges, and Chicago grad schools go, the tuition fees are the same for everyone, absent having a tuition scholarship. It has been my experience that international students pay the same as out of state students the same as students in Illinois, and the same as students born or previously resident in Chicago. The out of state cost tuition rate doesn't apply to private colleges/grad schools.
Old May 11th 2006, 2:02 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
International fees? I think you mean out of state fees and these probably only apply to the state school in Chicago (UIC, The University of Illinois at Chicago).

As far as private Chicago colleges, and Chicago grad schools go, the tuition fees are the same for everyone, absent having a tuition scholarship. It has been my experience that international students pay the same as out of state students the same as students in Illinois, and the same as students born or previously resident in Chicago. The out of state cost tuition rate doesn't apply to private colleges/grad schools.

Okay, okay - but the OP is hardly likely to be able to afford a private college and unlikely to qualify for scholarships, so we'd be talking ? $30k per year and up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.