Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Wikiposts

Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Old May 10th 2006, 7:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving - advice on situation please

Originally Posted by ScottMc
Hi All,
I've been reading the posts and there's some great information here. I was wondering if any of you would like to share your opinion on our situation.

Basically it a "should we or shouldn't we?" moment.

I've been looking through the info and we don't seem to have any issues with the visas, labor certification and GC.

My wife will be going over on an intra company transfer to start a section in the US offices that currently doesn't exist. (Testing goods to legislative standards, bit like trading standards).

They have stated that the equivalent salary is around the 40k mark plus benefits (including insurance but don't know amounts and coverage yet).

I'm putting together a lengthy list of questions for her employer regarding actual net salary, health benefits, relocation assistance etc.

I do not hold a degree which from the other posts seems to be a key in obtaining many roles. I'm highly experienced in contact centre work, having been a process/project worker, team leader, co-ordinator etc for a number of years.

I understand this has been a declining market due to outsourcing but hope to get a reasonable job within a short span of time and hope this is possible if I dedicate myself to my search correctly.

We will be moving to the Chicago area.

Bottom line after reading up on the various insurance requirements, how property rentals work etc I foresee quite an initial outlay and some risk involved in the move which is excepted. We have a small amount of savings to take with us which I hope to keep most of to assist if everything goes well and we require a home loan deposit.

What I would like are people's opinions on our situation - given the above salary do you think in your opinion it's work the risks and are the rewards of living in the USA enough that a moderate salary like the one above (plus hopefully a similar salary from myself after a period) will eventually offset my worries of the reduction in job security/role protection in the US as opposed to the UK?

Sorry about the length of the post and the individual circumstances but I'd like the opinions of some of you that have "been there done that"

Thanks,
Scott
Don't you just love posts like this one? The OP makes one post asking for help, doesn't give enough information (ie 40K), doesn't answer any of the subsequent posts and leaves us arguing amongst ourselves.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:39 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't you just love posts like this one? The OP makes one post asking for help, doesn't give enough information (ie 40K), doesn't answer any of the subsequent posts and leaves us arguing amongst ourselves.
You have probably scared him off telling him what a peasant he will be.

He was not to know that your clothes allowance is nearly that.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Many thanks with all the helpful replies - I'm overwhelmed by your help and interest.

I already realised that there is an element of risk in the move hence my post to try to get other's perspective and after all isn't all life a risk? Just because you don't feel it as your at "home" doesn't mean it isn't still present..

I just need to make sure we're as aware of the facts as possible before making a decision and then go with what we thinks best.

But enough of my armchair philosophy!!

I'll clarify the points people have raised.

It's $40k or thereabouts (we will be bargaining a little that not set in stone), she's 29 and I'm 32.

We have a very small one bedroom flat which has a pretty low mortgage. We don't go out very much at all but do have a couple of holidays a year to the US.

If we came over I would bring an extra $40k savings to assist and unlike here we would have no credit card bills to worry about as I would clear all our debts for a fresh start.

We're both on around the equivalent of $36/37 at the moment. From what I've been led to understand and from our experience on our many visits the cost of living appears on the whole to be cheaper. From those of you that have experienced both is that true?

Also one thing to realise is we are probably not of the same demographic that usually makes the move from the UK as we are not at an executive level. As such our expectations regarding standard of living, size of property etc may not be the same.

We're pretty content with a mooch round the shops, watching TV, going to the gym and eating out occasionally. Add a little break or two in the year and we're happy.We don't aspire to having a massive house and all that, just something modest that suits two people that's in a friendly area and we dont intend to have kids.

We enjoy what appears to us as the greater accessibility of social activities in the US (Theatre, music, sports, museums, reasonably priced dining etc instead of a predominantly pub culture here, certainly amongst our age group and the anti social behaviour that the UK society seems to be synonymous with at present)

My role has not been as an advisor in a call center, I've been doing team management, some project management and process improvement/development for one of the biggest companies in the UK.

I'd hope to get a role a little further up the ladder but at the same time I realise that I may have to work my way up again because of things like the degree issue. Hopefully my experience would assist in getting an initial role and in getting my carrier moving.

Her job is in the 'burbs, Hoffman Estates near Schaumburg and we would look to rent nearby, after all it's not far to travel to the city at weekends and this is the same set-up as we have here in the UK.

Although she is required as this is a completely new type of role in the States although not a particularly high position within the company. We have been advised that quality testing isn't standard practice (hence the Reebok scandal with the child swallowing the bracelet and dying over their recently and the corresponding new legislation that requires testing programs to be in place and the knock on, the offer of this position).

The company is Claires so hopefully due to their size benefits should be reasonable but of course we will have everything in writing before we make a move. This includes that the company have agreed to sponsor our green cards and that they will submit the applications straight after we complete the three month trial that allow her to see if she likes the job over there etc. Within the three months she has the option to come back to her job in the UK.

Sorry again for the length of my posts!

Scott
Old May 10th 2006, 8:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

main thing to consider, how much are they taking out of your salary for medical insurance or are they stumping up all the cost, how much are co-pays and how much are the annual deductibles...

and errr...are you prepared for some nasty winters?
Old May 10th 2006, 8:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

oh, another thing to think about, when you come over, you'll have bugger all credit history, so you might struggle to get any loans and if you do anything with a decent rate for getting a car, house, credit cards etc...so see if the employer can help you out with a credit union...
Old May 10th 2006, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Many thanks with all the helpful replies - I'm overwhelmed by your help and interest.
We try our best!

I'll clarify the points people have raised.

It's $40k or thereabouts (we will be bargaining a little that not set in stone), she's 29 and I'm 32.
It might be a bit tough - but not impossible - in Chicago.

We have a very small one bedroom flat which has a pretty low mortgage. We don't go out very much at all but do have a couple of holidays a year to the US.
They'll be no more holidays when you get here; you'll be lucky to get 2 weeks vacation allowance

If we came over I would bring an extra $40k savings to assist and unlike here we would have no credit card bills to worry about as I would clear all our debts for a fresh start.
That's good.

We're both on around the equivalent of $36/37 at the moment. From what I've been led to understand and from our experience on our many visits the cost of living appears on the whole to be cheaper. From those of you that have experienced both is that true?
Cheaper cost of living is true in some areas; in others it is sometimes evened out by medical costs, education costs etc..

Also one thing to realise is we are probably not of the same demographic that usually makes the move from the UK as we are not at an executive level. As such our expectations regarding standard of living, size of property etc may not be the same.
Don't worry we're all bums on here; I'm on the same visa as your wife probably is.

We're pretty content with a mooch round the shops, watching TV, going to the gym and eating out occasionally. Add a little break or two in the year and we're happy.We don't aspire to having a massive house and all that, just something modest that suits two people that's in a friendly area and we dont intend to have kids.
You might have to lower your expectations slightly.

We enjoy what appears to us as the greater accessibility of social activities in the US (Theatre, music, sports, museums, reasonably priced dining etc instead of a predominantly pub culture here, certainly amongst our age group and the anti social behaviour that the UK society seems to be synonymous with at present)
Chicago is the place for you.

Chicago <sigh>

My role has not been as an advisor in a call center, I've been doing team management, some project management and process improvement/development for one of the biggest companies in the UK.

I'd hope to get a role a little further up the ladder but at the same time I realise that I may have to work my way up again because of things like the degree issue. Hopefully my experience would assist in getting an initial role and in getting my carrier moving.
Things are looking better.

Her job is in the 'burbs, Hoffman Estates near Schaumburg and we would look to rent nearby, after all it's not far to travel to the city at weekends and this is the same set-up as we have here in the UK.
Ah Schaumburg - my old "home" town.

Although she is required as this is a completely new type of role in the States although not a particularly high position within the company. We have been advised that quality testing isn't standard practice (hence the Reebok scandal with the child swallowing the bracelet and dying over their recently and the corresponding new legislation that requires testing programs to be in place and the knock on, the offer of this position).

The company is Claires so hopefully due to their size benefits should be reasonable but of course we will have everything in writing before we make a move. This includes that the company have agreed to sponsor our green cards and that they will submit the applications straight after we complete the three month trial that allow her to see if she likes the job over there etc. Within the three months she has the option to come back to her job in the UK.

Scott

Well you have some research to do. Bottom line is, it will be tough until you get a job. Finding a good job for yourself will also be tough because you have no degree, but again - it's not impossible or unheard of.

Try getting some information on the medical plan Claires will provide.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what you said I would not do it, at least not right now and for $40k a year. Maybe if it was in a different place with a cheaper cost of living but Chicago is certainly on the higher end. Although it apears the cost of living is cheaper, it really isn't in reality if you add in all the things that you don't see when you come here on holiday. A few things have been mentioned like medical, dental, vision but then you have home insurance, car insurance (which wont be cheap), heating bills, electricity bills, water bills, tax bills, cable bills (probably), car payments (probably), phone bills. You will also probably have to put down deposits for all your utilities since you have no credit history and with no history that can be expensive, a friend (US citizen) who had no credit history had to pay $350 security to get a mobile phone contact. Food is cheap but food that isn't full of crap and is good for you isn't. I don't know for sure but I've heard that Clairs is pretty standard with benefits, which means they will not be cheap or anything spectacular.

Somebody pointed out that money isnt everything but with what you have, it will probaby cause a lot of tension, headaches and will generally bring your quality of life down.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Scott
Check your PMs
Old May 10th 2006, 8:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Check your PMs
Empty
Old May 10th 2006, 8:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Cheaper cost of living is true in some areas; in others it is sometimes evened out by medical costs, education costs etc..
Aye, might seem cheaper, but getting decent quality groceries are often more expensive, utilities are often more expensive, and taxes tend to even out and then you have the medical insurance cost on top of all that social your paying...
Old May 10th 2006, 9:01 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I tell ya', it must be my blonde coming out, but I still don't understand $40K, or 40K GBP?
P.s To the OP, you seem like a nice guy, I'm not trying to pick on you!
Old May 10th 2006, 9:14 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

As Anotherlimey said its going to be tough on $40k, try and swing some more money out of the company and other benifits.

Good jobs are hard to come by so it might take you some time to get a job.

Things are cheaper if you shop around so its not impossible but don't expect to live like a king more like a student until you get a job as well.

Really depends on your reasons for coming but don't be fooled that America is not a drinking culture.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I tell ya', it must be my blonde coming out, but I still don't understand $40K, or 40K GBP?
P.s To the OP, you seem like a nice guy, I'm not trying to pick on you!

$40K
Old May 10th 2006, 9:26 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's why I didn't put a pound or dollar sign. Makes no difference its a low income to start a new life with over here.
for two people yes, i agree

you can probably live fine in chicago with 70k if you are on your own
Old May 10th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I always think it is a bad idea to be taking a transfer and in the same breathe talking about having savings to live on. You need to be sure that whatever they pay your wife covers your cost of living, otherwise those savings will soon be gone and what will you have to show for your years of hard work.

Seriously as others have pointed out, the cost of living is not as cheap as you may expect, and all of us who have had to look for work, can tell you it is not easy.

Best of luck with your decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.