Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Old Mar 28th 2023, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
This could be a teachable moment, but I have long since discovered I would be wasting my brain power and time. However, this does provide occasional entertainment, followed by sadness.
lol yet another wishy washy non-response. Did you look up yet where most people who are abandoning your state are moving to and why? Did you do any research on Florida's booming economy since the pandemic? You may surprise yourself and learn something you didn't know rather than speak on a subject entirely (mis)guided by your own political opinion.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Hey everyone I haven’t posted here in a long time but need advice - We currently live in Massachusetts and Considering moving to Florida. Looking at areas like Plantation, Weston, Parkland. Husbands office is in Hollywood. Hollywood is also fine. Which areas would you recommend for school district, good quality of life? Nice outdoors etc! No kids now but would be in the next few years.

How would you compare Boston to Florida ? Tell me all the Pros and Cons. I’ve been there for vacations (this definitely sounds touristy haha but we are USC’s) and like it but definitely know that living there day to day is different. We are considering moving because of the weather. We already own a home in Boston so would it be best to live in an apartment month to month basis in Florida and research the area before we sell the house ? Wait for a few years till interest rates hopefully come down, and then consider moving? We are a young couple late 30’s. Stick in Boston for the time being? We like Boston a lot but also feel a change of place would be good. How bad really is hurricane season ?

Thanks for all the advice 😄
Florida gets a bad rep for schools and a lot of it deservedly so, but it is also one of the most generous states re regarding college scholarships. The Bright Futures Scholarship in Florida will pay for either 75% or 100% (depending on GPA and SAT scores) of all in state public college tuition.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really help much with the areas you're looking at. We have lived in the panhandle for nearly 10 years having spent the previous 10 years in Alabama. We love it and have no plans to move out of Florida.

It always amazes me the amount of vitriol toward Florida, often from people who have never visited, let alone lived in Florida.

Yes. It gets really humid in the summer, but that's why we have air conditioning. We have dodged several hurricanes and seen the aftermath of them but they are rare and if you plan well, shouldn't be a big issue unless you get a direct hit. We currently live in Panama City that was devastated by Hurricane Michael in 2018 (before we moved here). There are still clear signs of the damage but on the whole, the community pulled together and rebuilt. S#!t happens wherever you choose to call home.

As the 3rd most populous state in the country, 22+ million seem to agree with me...
Old Mar 28th 2023, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I can't really help much with the areas you're looking at. We have lived in the panhandle for nearly 10 years having spent the previous 10 years in Alabama. We love it and have no plans to move out of Florida.

It always amazes me the amount of vitriol toward Florida, often from people who have never visited, let alone lived in Florida.

Yes. It gets really humid in the summer, but that's why we have air conditioning. We have dodged several hurricanes and seen the aftermath of them but they are rare and if you plan well, shouldn't be a big issue unless you get a direct hit. We currently live in Panama City that was devastated by Hurricane Michael in 2018 (before we moved here). There are still clear signs of the damage but on the whole, the community pulled together and rebuilt. S#!t happens wherever you choose to call home.

As the 3rd most populous state in the country, 22+ million seem to agree with me...
totally agree re the vitriol . The phrase "they hate us because they aint us" comes to mind. I especially couldn't think of a better place to have been during the pandemic. I'll be exploring your neck of the woods this summer for the first time when one of my kids starts at FSU (with 2x scholarships , thank you Florida!).
Old Mar 30th 2023, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
..... S#!t happens wherever you choose to call home. ...

You could point to hurricane Hugo in 1989, and a nasty icestorm in 2002, but my bailiwick is largely immune to natural disasters. ... The only "tornadoes" I know of within about 50 miles of Pulaski Manor, in the past 20 years, in one case removed some branches from a few trees on a farm, and in another case removed some gutters from a grocery before crossing the parking lot and drifting into a field. It is not hilly enough here for landslides or avalanches, and not flat enough for flooding - we have had post-hurricane tropical storms dump 10"-12" of rain on us overnight, and had nothing more than overflowing drainage ditches (not even close to our home) during the storm, and a few puddles left behind.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

You could point to hurricane Hugo in 1989, and a nasty icestorm in 2002, but my bailiwick is largely immune to natural disasters. ... The only "tornadoes" I know of within about 50 miles of Pulaski Manor, in the past 20 years, in one case removed some branches from a few trees on a farm, and in another case removed some gutters from a grocery before crossing the parking lot and drifting into a field. It is not hilly enough here for landslides or avalanches, and not flat enough for flooding - we have had post-hurricane tropical storms dump 10"-12" of rain on us overnight, and had nothing more than overflowing drainage ditches (not even close to our home) during the storm, and a few puddles left behind.
NC is not as under threat as FL. Politics aside, it really is in trouble over the next 5-50 years. Of course, anything climate related is largely ignored, particularly by the poorly educated (see above).
Old Mar 30th 2023, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NC is not as under threat as FL. Politics aside, it really is in trouble over the next 5-50 years. Of course, anything climate related is largely ignored, particularly by the poorly educated (see above).
omg the irony lol. firstly its a little rude to call the previous poster poorly educated, secondly you are the one who has repeatedly been incorrect. You are funny. Florida is doing pretty ok.... you can stop worrying, petrified by name and petrified by nature lol
Old Mar 30th 2023, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
omg the irony lol. firstly its a little rude to call the previous poster poorly educated, secondly you are the one who has repeatedly been incorrect. You are funny. Florida is doing pretty ok.... you can stop worrying, petrified by name and petrified by nature lol
As a regular visitor and neighbour of Florida, I don't think you should be too quick to dismiss the impact of two things that should indeed be considered when making a permanent move to the State.

First, there is clear evidence that the impact of weather on Florida is increasing in volume of events and intensity. You can indeed be lucky and avoid damage, but I presume the residents around Fort Myers are still trying to recover - take a peak at somewhere like Biloxi to see how devastating a bad Hurricane can be on an area for years to come. There are still many blocks empty by the beach some 18 years after Katrina.

Second, and a multiplier of the first, is the fact developments have encroached on the areas most likely to receive direct impact from said weather, to keep up with the population increases. That means the human impact will continue to increase for each event as well.

That is not to say someone shouldn't make an informed decision, but Florida is certainly somewhere to consider properly, not just jump because it's nice and hot. I chose a location that had much of the good weather benefit and less of the severe type, a few hours North. In only the 7 years I have been here there have been three major Tornado's within 30 miles, one of which hit my house directly while we were in it, taking two external walls of siding off. It's an area that was described more like Pulaski does for NC before that. Human's are pretty arrogant in choosing where to live at times, and where to develop (I give you the South West trying to scrape enough water out of a single river and being in a near state of drought these days).
Old Mar 30th 2023, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - parts of Florida will be underwater within the next 50 years (or sooner). Climate change is not only ignored by the poorly educated, but also by many people in the Republican party. It's really sad. If we don't act now our children and grand-children will have to deal with it.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robtuck
As a regular visitor and neighbour of Florida, I don't think you should be too quick to dismiss the impact of two things that should indeed be considered when making a permanent move to the State.

First, there is clear evidence that the impact of weather on Florida is increasing in volume of events and intensity. You can indeed be lucky and avoid damage, but I presume the residents around Fort Myers are still trying to recover - take a peak at somewhere like Biloxi to see how devastating a bad Hurricane can be on an area for years to come. There are still many blocks empty by the beach some 18 years after Katrina.

Second, and a multiplier of the first, is the fact developments have encroached on the areas most likely to receive direct impact from said weather, to keep up with the population increases. That means the human impact will continue to increase for each event as well.

That is not to say someone shouldn't make an informed decision, but Florida is certainly somewhere to consider properly, not just jump because it's nice and hot. I chose a location that had much of the good weather benefit and less of the severe type, a few hours North. In only the 7 years I have been here there have been three major Tornado's within 30 miles, one of which hit my house directly while we were in it, taking two external walls of siding off. It's an area that was described more like Pulaski does for NC before that. Human's are pretty arrogant in choosing where to live at times, and where to develop (I give you the South West trying to scrape enough water out of a single river and being in a near state of drought these days).
I was referring to his/her/they previous incorrect comments regarding economic growth and popularity of Florida. I have never disputed climate change or weather so maybe you have me confused with another poster?! I have said multiple times that Florida has its problems.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - parts of Florida will be underwater within the next 50 years (or sooner). Climate change is not only ignored by the poorly educated, but also by many people in the Republican party. It's really sad. If we don't act now our children and grand-children will have to deal with it.
oh dear lord...another one making this thread political and divisive. smh
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Climate change is not only ignored by the poorly educated, but also by many people in the Republican party.
you probably don't even see how comical this sentence is. made me smile tho...
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

you probably don't even see how comical this sentence is. made me smile tho...
There's nothing funny about climate change.
Old Mar 30th 2023, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's nothing funny about climate change.
agreed. the comedy was the "poorly educated people plus republicans" part
Old Mar 31st 2023, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to his/her/they previous incorrect comments regarding economic growth and popularity of Florida. I have never disputed climate change or weather so maybe you have me confused with another poster?! I have said multiple times that Florida has its problems.
I was not making any suggestion about any individual other than the original poster, who should consider the impact on a State they may choose to live in. As I said, i visit regularly and quite like Florida, I can see why people would be drawn to it - I can also see why others wouldn't come within a hundred miles, especially to live. Horses for courses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.