Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Old Mar 27th 2023, 7:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Originally Posted by robin1234
It is a ridiculous oversimplification to describe US states as “blue states” or “red states.” All states are a blend, somewhere on the continuum, of those two political tendencies, red vs. blue. (I imagine plenty of people from so-called “red states” relocate to Florida. )
Most states having a federal voting pattern within the range 60:40 and 40:60. Though generally I argue against proportional representation as it tends to produce unstable governments and "tail wagging the dog" policies, I think for the US presidential election, having at least electoral college votes awarded proportionally in each state, if not a direct count of the popular vote, would have significant advantages, not least greater voter engagement and participation in states like California and Massachusetts, among many others, which haven't been competitive in the presidential elections since Ronald Reagan left the Whitehouse.

That said, I do find it interesting that while the two main US parties appear to have been drifting ever further apart towards opposing ends of the political spectrum, that the number of marginal/ competitive states in the presidential election seems to have been increasing, from both sides of the political divide.

Maybe there is hope for an improvement in the US political environment driven by voting patterns, as there certainly isn't a hope of any such initiative from DC.

The first party to field a centrist candidate is going to win a landslide of the sort nobody has come close to since Ronald Reagan won in 1984. Unless someone unseats Joe Biden in the primaries, which would be unprecedented, that is unlikely before 2028 as the Republicans seem doomed to drift ever further into the bizarre right-wing shadows.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2023 at 7:46 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The first party to field a centrist candidate is going to win a landslide of the sort nobody has come close to since Ronald Reagan won in 1984.
I am atheist but I pray for this every day
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I am atheist but I pray for this every day
praying won't do much, backing up your arguments whilst refraining from insulting strangers like a typical internet troll, however.....will do wonders
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
you are indeed correct. I meant to say, states with a democratic governor have lost a huge amount of people to republican run Florida as a direct result of the political policies and resulting crime. I stand corrected.
Yeah, ok, but Massachusetts had a republican Governor until this January, now it has a democratic Governor. But I’m pretty sure that change means squat in terms of how many folks from that state choose to relocate to FL. So if you’re trying to make a point, I’m not sure what it is.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, ok, but Massachusetts had a republican Governor until this January, now it has a democratic Governor. But I’m pretty sure that change means squat in terms of how many folks from that state choose to relocate to FL. So if you’re trying to make a point, I’m not sure what it is.
Interestingly Robin, I was in favor of Governor Baker since he hit just the right notes with me. Yes he could be a bit more liberal, but did a solid job.

Overall, yes, given the high education levels in MA I doubt a governor change (either way) would lead to any sort of rush to FL.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, ok, but Massachusetts had a republican Governor until this January, now it has a democratic Governor. ....
"Out of step" governors often seem to be the result of the electorate wanting rid of an unpopular sitting Governor, and so being "not the current governor" ends up being the primary attraction, not the party the candidate is nominally representing. .... That is how Arnie came to be Republican governor of California, and why NC currently has a Democrat governor along side a solidly Republican legislature.
.... So if you’re trying to make a point, I’m not sure what it is.
People from solidly Democrat-leaning states are not shy about moving to solidly Republican states.

However as you and I noted above, being "solidly Democrat", or "solidly Republican" at the state-level is meaningless at the level of individual voters, when it is likely that 40% or more are from the political minority in that state.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2023 at 9:00 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Possible move to Florida In next couple of years

Interestingly Robin, I was in favor of Governor Baker since he hit just the right notes with me. Yes he could be a bit more liberal, but did a solid job.

Overall, yes, given the high education levels in MA I doubt a governor change (either way) would lead to any sort of rush to FL.
The nonsense you are typing just gets better and better LOL!! FYI Florida is in the top 3 states that Massachusetts is losing residents to....

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...IGED3ROVSIG7U/
Old Mar 27th 2023, 10:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Baker was a good governor. Massachusetts has had several good Republican elected officials in my time, including ones I’ve voted for. (I currently live in New York, though.) But my unstated point was that people move to FL for all kinds of personal reasons, most of them totally unrelated to politics. I mean, I’d seriously like to live there - but I probably won’t, because my wife wouldn’t relocate there (again, her disdain for Florida is not particularly political.)
Old Mar 27th 2023, 10:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

"Out of step" governors often seem to be the result of the electorate wanting rid of an unpopular sitting Governor, and so being "not the current governor" ends up being the primary attraction, not the party the candidate is nominally representing. .... That is how Arnie came to be Republican governor of California, and why NC currently has a Democrat governor along side a solidly Republican legislature.

People from solidly Democrat-leaning states are not shy about moving to solidly Republican states.

However as you and I noted above, being "solidly Democrat", or "solidly Republican" at the state-level is meaningless at the level of individual voters, when it is likely that 40% or more are from the political minority in that state.
Yup I agree with all of this. Probably, people who move from (say) Alabama to NYC do so for a job, professional advancement, or because it’s a cool place to retire to - not for reasons of political affinity. I know a boatload of people, friends & family, who’ve moved from the northeast to Florida, and they’re all democrats (for what it’s worth.) one of the good things about the USA, is, if you can afford it, it’s easy to relocate to a different state.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree. Baker was a good governor. Massachusetts has had several good Republican elected officials in my time, including ones I’ve voted for. (I currently live in New York, though.) But my unstated point was that people move to FL for all kinds of personal reasons, most of them totally unrelated to politics. I mean, I’d seriously like to live there - but I probably won’t, because my wife wouldn’t relocate there (again, her disdain for Florida is not particularly political.)
I agree that people move here for lots of reasons, but since I got my realtors license last year (yes I know very cliché) and I speak frequently to MANY new Floridians and potential future Floridians (I can't avoid these conversations with the job that I do and they are definitely not all republicans! plenty of democrats in Miami!), from my own experience it is predominantly political policies resulting in extended lockdowns and school closures, souring crime, forced vaccine mandates etc along with so many big companies relocating. It has its downsides of course, some things I hate also about living here but that would be the same anywhere.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 11:33 pm

.... from my own experience it is predominantly political policies resulting in extended lockdowns and school closures, souring crime, ....
Yeah, I can imagine that would make people bitter.
forced vaccine mandates etc. ....
It sounds like Florida is collecting the ignorant and under-educated. Good luck with that!
Old Mar 27th 2023, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, I can imagine that would make people bitter.

It sounds like Florida is collecting the ignorant and under-educated. Good luck with that!
florida is collecting everyone.... including ignorant and under educated. but you get that anywhere....
Old Mar 28th 2023, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

florida is collecting everyone.... including ignorant and under educated. but you get that anywhere....
Idiots who resist mandates should collect, and sink, together. What a load of waffle.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Idiots who resist mandates should collect, and sink, together. What a load of waffle.
Is this a thread asking for opinions on vaccine mandates?? because there is so much more to having a one rule fits all mandate when no consideration is given for recent covid recovery and immunity!! First you turned this thread political, then you attack me purely because I answered YOUR question asking if I support DeSantis (yes you were looking for an argument!), you put your nonsense opinions out there but you are unable to acknowledge actual facts and data which contradict all that you have written. You actually think no-one from your state is moving to Florida?!! you're a delusional trolling trouble maker.
Old Mar 28th 2023, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is this a thread asking for opinions on vaccine mandates?? because there is so much more to having a one rule fits all mandate when no consideration is given for recent covid recovery and immunity!! First you turned this thread political, then you attack me purely because I answered YOUR question asking if I support DeSantis (yes you were looking for an argument!), you put your nonsense opinions out there but you are unable to acknowledge actual facts and data which contradict all that you have written. You actually think no-one from your state is moving to Florida?!! you're a delusional trolling trouble maker.
This could be a teachable moment, but I have long since discovered I would be wasting my brain power and time. However, this does provide occasional entertainment, followed by sadness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.