British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Please Help - Marketing and Adverting Headhunters NYC?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/please-help-marketing-adverting-headhunters-nyc-845001/)

Mary681 Oct 13th 2014 9:36 am

Please Help - Marketing and Adverting Headhunters NYC??

Hi all,

It's my first time using this forum, so please be kind :)

I'm searching for a New York City based Headhunter who has experience placing UK citizens (requiring H1B sponsorship) in NYC based Marketing and Advertising roles.

I've come across a few NYC based headhunters but I would greatly (greatly!) appreciate any recommendations! Or a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mary

christmasoompa Oct 13th 2014 9:41 am

Re: Please Help - Marketing and Adverting Headhunters NYC??

Maybe I'm being daft, but isn't the point of a headhunter that they find you, not the other way around?! A headhunter is usually sent to find people by their clients, and they'll contact you out of the blue for a specific position.

Do you mean a recruitment agency maybe?

Are you on Linked In? My husband is headhunted on a weekly basis via Linked In for jobs in the US, so if you're high profile and good enough for them to want you, that's a great place to start.

Good luck.

Mary681 Oct 13th 2014 9:47 am

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

It works both ways. Headhunters contact you and you can contact them to seek employment on your behalf. I contact headhunters in the UK if I'm looking for a role. Their intention is to fill a position for their client so either way works as long as they can find a candidate for an open position.

Thanks for the suggestion and the luck!

x

christmasoompa Oct 13th 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Mary681 (Post 11436752)
It works both ways. Headhunters contact you and you can contact them to seek employment on your behalf. I contact headhunters in the UK if I'm looking for a role. Their intention is to fill a position for their client so either way works as long as they can find a candidate for an open position.

That sounds like a recruiter to me then, rather than a headhunter. None of the headhunters that contact my husband would take people on, they only work for the employers and don't have a pool of people to choose from, they come after him individually for very specific roles. Maybe different industries work in different ways!

Got to say I prefer a good recruitment agency that work on behalf of both rather than headhunters, headhunters are too determined and often won't take no for an answer, they drive me insane sometimes! :lol:

rpjs Oct 13th 2014 12:31 pm

What can you bring to the table that would want to make a company go to the expense and paperwork to sponsor you for H-1B sponsor that a US person who could start tomorrow couldn't? Don't get me wrong, ad/marketing companies do do H-1Bs, but for instance the adtech company I work for usually does it for techies or similar with skills in short supply.

You might be better off joining a company in the UK that is American owned or has a US subsidiary and trying to get a transfer after a couple of years. The good news though is that there are a lot of companies in advertising and marketing that are like that. Three of the last four companies I've worked for have a substantial presence in London, New York and elsewhere in the US.

Mary681 Oct 13th 2014 12:57 pm

Hiya,

Appreciate the reply.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am fully aware of my options and the requirements for a H1B visa. My request was for a headhunter within my field. If you do have any recommendations, please do let me know.

Thanks.

Nutmegger Oct 13th 2014 2:13 pm

Just an observation, but I would have thought that if you are so highly placed in marketing and advertising that you feel people would be willing to spend a lot of money to bring you to NYC, that you might know how to market and advertise yourself . . . :sneaky:

Mary681 Oct 13th 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks! Great comment, really helpful.

As mentioned above, I looking for a recommendation for a headhunter. Recommendation and networking is what my industry is all about. If you can't help, that's fine but poking fun and making 'observations' is not at all helpful and surely a waste of your time?!

As I said above, if you can help, please do.

Sally Redux Oct 13th 2014 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11436967)
Just an observation, but I would have thought that if you are so highly placed in marketing and advertising that you feel people would be willing to spend a lot of money to bring you to NYC, that you might know how to market and advertise yourself . . . :sneaky:

We did have an Award-Winning International recruiter's wife on here once, asking how he could get his CV noticed.

Nutmegger Oct 13th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11436985)
We did have an Award-Winning International recruiter's wife on here once, asking how he could get his CV noticed.

You've got to love it, eh?! ;)

AlphaTangoMike Oct 13th 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11436991)
You've got to love it, eh?! ;)

Might indicate why the headhunters have been mysteriously absent. :p

Mary681 Oct 13th 2014 3:04 pm

Wow, really wasn't prepared for such a hostile environment.

Are sarcastic, pretentious comments a prerequisite on here?

BunnyGirl Oct 13th 2014 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mary681 (Post 11437017)
Are sarcastic, pretentious comments a prerequisite on here?

Yes.

Sally Redux Oct 13th 2014 3:13 pm

New Yorkers shoot from the hip.

especially the cops

hoffage123 Oct 13th 2014 3:23 pm

:rofl:

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl (Post 11437020)
Yes.