Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it a pipe dream?

Is it a pipe dream?

Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Steve_73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a pipe dream?

Hi I'm new to this forum, I didnt even know it existed!

My wife and I have recently been discussing the viability of leaving the UK, we have both had our fill of it.

We are starting tentative discussions into looking at the possibility of going to either the USA or Canada.

Obviously we both know that the grass isn't always greener, but I think neither of us wants to think "what if" 30 years down the line either.

One of my concerns though is my age, I have just recently turned 40.
Is that too old to be looking to move to the USA?

My other concern is career prospects, I am degree qualified and have 15 years banking and insurance experience behind me. Last year I took voluntary redundancy and have completed a post graduate in Software Engineering and am looking to then complete a conversion Masters.
Would this work experience and educational background stand me in good stead or is my age a stumbling block that would not be possible to be overcome?

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I imagine there are people here with a great deal of expertise and experience and I know that anything you tell me will be very helpful in our thoughts and discussions.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a pipe dream?

Please take a look at and read carefully the two Pulaski wikis in the USA section of the wikis tab above, but from what you said, you might consider doing your masters in the US; it won't be cheap, but it might be your best shot at moving your career across the Atlantic.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Below are the two Wiki articles mentioned above. If you fit into any of the categories you may stand a chance of moving to the US.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

It would probably be easier to move to Canada...below is the link to our Canada Forums.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56
Old Sep 5th 2013, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
Have a look at the types of jobs on Dice.com. You might be able to leverage your financial and software engineering experience together. However you may not have a lot of real-world coding or software design experience?

(I moved when I was 40. Can't wait to come home to Scotland though, mainly so that my wife can experience life there and have easy access to Europe. We still have our US citizenship to fall back on though.)

Good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were at your age when they moved the family to the US with only secondary education to their names, so you're not too old.

Pulaski probably has offered the easiest way in, although Canada - Alberta in particular - may be an easier route with there (to my understanding) still being a demand for skilled people.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Steve_73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I note from some responses the green card lottery, does the fact that I am from Northern Ireland enhance my chances a bit as it appears we are still allowed to enter the lottery?
Does anyone know of anyone who succeeded in gaining US entry via this avenue?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_73
I note from some responses the green card lottery, does the fact that I am from Northern Ireland enhance my chances a bit as it appears we are still allowed to enter the lottery?
Does anyone know of anyone who succeeded in gaining US entry via this avenue?
If I remember correctly the average odds of getting a green card in the lottery in any one year is around ½%-1%. Your chances of getting in via the GC lottery is infinitely more than most born in the UK, because they are not GC lottery eligible.

We do get GC lottery winners show up here occasionally but I don't know of any of the regular posters that came to America that way.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

We do get GC lottery winners show up here occasionally but I don't know of any of the regular posters that came to America that way.
Fatbrit, was the only BE name that came to mind, which doesn't help the OP.

I do know 2 folks get it though, but both consisted of applying for years, 8 years on the trot for one of them.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 1:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Fatbrit, was the only BE name that came to mind, which doesn't help the OP.

I do know 2 folks get it though, but both consisted of applying for years, 8 years on the trot for one of them.
What about Young Davy?