British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Wooglin Jan 22nd 2010 11:08 am

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by riggbeck (Post 8271515)
Wooglin,

Idiot! Slaps his forehead. You're right. It never occurred to me that a helpline for people living in America would actually require an international call.

Thanks, panic over.

Now I'm on this forum I'll stay and have a look round.

It happens to everyone! Be sure to post anticipated travel dates on your application as they will not fast track your application if you leave it blank. Another poster wrote on here that since they were not travelling soon, that they were pushed to the back of the line.

Wooglin

geoffreybrooks Jan 26th 2010 2:02 pm

My passport renewal arrived today, the 70th day after despatch.

This is the time frame:
19 November 2009: British Embassy in Washington received the application.
30 November 2009: They cashed payment (bankers' draft)
19 January 2010: They issued passport
Today: UPS delivered it.

No covering letter, no apology for delay. The new passport is heavier than the expiring document. This is due to the penultimate page which is wholly plasticated and contains the bearer's details. On the reverse of the page is a rectangle (3 inches long x 1.5 inches broad) made up of five strands of fine coppery wire, two single wires lead from the rectangular form into a small black chip. This chip no doubt contains all their worst suspicions about the holder.

dottypotty Jan 26th 2010 6:19 pm

Does anyone know in what circumstance emergency passports will be issued? Mine and my childrens passports expired in August and our circumstances are such that we need to return to the uk for good.

Zonie Jan 26th 2010 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dottypotty (Post 8284388)
Does anyone know in what circumstance emergency passports will be issued? Mine and my childrens passports expired in August and our circumstances are such that we need to return to the uk for good.

Follow this link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=640935&page=5

Post #64 has your options as detailed by a British Consul. Your return timescale will dictate your choice of option.

jewels391234 Feb 1st 2010 6:35 pm

Hey everyone thought I would give you an update on my British passport journey.
Oct 14th,2009- passport fees taken
Dec 19th,2009 - Called the Careline for the first time. Cant do anything because I am not travelling in 5 days. Told to call back in the New Year.
Jan 6th,2010- Called the Careline AGAIN told they still cant do anything. They will talk to their Supervisor to see if they can do anything. Told to call back in a week.
At this point its been 4 months and nothing!!!!!!
Jan 20th called - nothing same old crap
Feb 1st,2010- Person on the phone finally excluded my application!!!! FINALLY. But then he said he cant guarantee anything ....Not happy about that at all!!!!
So here I am no passport 4 months later. I cant make any travel plans until I get it!!!
My point is be forewarned when you apply for your passport be prepared for the delay
Good luck everyone!!!!

jewels391234 Feb 1st 2010 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jewels391234 (Post 8301877)
Hey everyone thought I would give you an update on my British passport journey.
Oct 14th,2009- passport fees taken
Dec 19th,2009 - Called the Careline for the first time. Cant do anything because I am not travelling in 5 days. Told to call back in the New Year.
Jan 6th,2010- Called the Careline AGAIN told they still cant do anything. They will talk to their Supervisor to see if they can do anything. Told to call back in a week.
At this point its been 4 months and nothing!!!!!!
Jan 20th called - nothing same old crap
Feb 1st,2010- Person on the phone finally excluded my application!!!! FINALLY. But then he said he cant guarantee anything ....Not happy about that at all!!!!
So here I am no passport 4 months later. I cant make any travel plans until I get it!!!
My point is be forewarned when you apply for your passport be prepared for the delay
Good luck everyone!!!!

Sorry meant excalated my passport application

geoffreybrooks Feb 2nd 2010 3:11 pm

Jewels391234

You should realize by now that Careline is not there to help you. "Escalating a renewal" is meaningless crap. It is a waste of your time and money contacting them.

It took ten weeks for my own passport renewal to be processed and issued. This delay was undoubtedly due to the fact that I am a published writer with technical military knowledge which it is considered undesirable to have in the current terrorist climate. The fact that my knowledge relates only to the end of the Nazi period ought not to worry them, but perhaps old Hitler had something up his sleeve at the end after all.

All the suspicions and doubts they have about me are recorded in the chip which you will see on the reverse of the personal details page. With the greatest respect, four months is a period which suggests that they, and particularly the United States, have serious security worries about you. One should consider past actions not only of oneself but also relatives in this regard.

I sympathize with you in your frustration.

jewels391234 Feb 2nd 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks (Post 8304858)
Jewels391234

You should realize by now that Careline is not there to help you. "Escalating a renewal" is meaningless crap. It is a waste of your time and money contacting them.

It took ten weeks for my own passport renewal to be processed and issued. This delay was undoubtedly due to the fact that I am a published writer with technical military knowledge which it is considered undesirable to have in the current terrorist climate. The fact that my knowledge relates only to the end of the Nazi period ought not to worry them, but perhaps old Hitler had something up his sleeve at the end after all.

All the suspicions and doubts they have about me are recorded in the chip which you will see on the reverse of the personal details page. With the greatest respect, four months is a period which suggests that they, and particularly the United States, have serious security worries about you. One should consider past actions not only of oneself but also relatives in this regard.

First of all the United States have nothing to do with the issuing of the British Passport and I have absolutely no one in my immediate or past family that have any political or criminal past so that is definitley NOTHING to do with it. My other family recieved their passport quickly. I totally disagree with your view of my 4 month delay. It all has to do with them putting me on to a bottom of a pile because I have no travel plans thats it.
I just wanted to warn other British citizens of the length of time that they MIGHT encounter. It isnt a streamline system what so ever.
Please put a travel date on your application its will cause less problems and delays for you
Good Luck

zargof Feb 2nd 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks (Post 8304858)
Jewels391234

My suggestion for you would be take some of the tin foil left over from making your hat and wrap that around your passport, then they won't be able to read the chip.

geoffreybrooks Feb 2nd 2010 6:37 pm

Zargoff

I understand that a brief visit of your passport to the interior of a micro-wave oven will destroy the information on the chip but will also cause unwarranted delays at immigration when travelling.

The UK Embassy brochure states that the primary reason for the new arrangement with Washington is to "better protect UK borders" which indicates clearly the true purpose behind the delays.

lisa67 Feb 2nd 2010 11:58 pm

Just got my kids passport photos (and application) returned from Washington.
The kids were deemed to be too smiley....just gone back to Walgreens for 2 more (very serious looking) photos :thumbdown:

N1cky Feb 3rd 2010 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8306386)
Just got my kids passport photos (and application) returned from Washington.
The kids were deemed to be too smiley....just gone back to Walgreens for 2 more (very serious looking) photos :thumbdown:

Nightmare. My daughter looks like Myra Hindley in her last picture its so serious.

Still waiting on my daughtes passport to be returned. She has to leave the country by the 20th:ohmy:

lisa67 Feb 3rd 2010 2:38 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8306523)
Nightmare. My daughter looks like Myra Hindley in her last picture its so serious.

Still waiting on my daughtes passport to be returned. She has to leave the country by the 20th:ohmy:

:confused:
My daughter's previous passport had a lovely "smiley" picture of her in it...things must have changed in the past 5 years!

Hope your Daughter gets hers back in time :fingerscrossed:

Burn1911 Feb 3rd 2010 6:10 pm

Hubbys' passport is up for renewal - fingers crossed no one gets sick whilst it is off being renewed........ its the thing I hate the most being here without a passport!

Oh yeah, and giving them $224.00 :sneaky:

Hey hooooo the joys of ex-pat living!

N1cky Feb 4th 2010 4:22 am

Received the little slip from UPS today saying they have tried to deliver daughters passport, so we will collect it tomorrow.

Interesting thing is, when I went on UPS's website to change the delivery, Washington had sent the order for it to be collected and shipped overnight delivery on January 25th. UPS only picked it up yesterday:confused:

I won't really care once I have it safely in my hands. Just need to do a quick run across the border to Mexico now, and she's all set.... Well, until the visa renewal drama's start in 3 months time.

jamestravis Feb 8th 2010 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8306628)
:confused:
My daughter's previous passport had a lovely "smiley" picture of her in it...things must have changed in the past 5 years!

Hope your Daughter gets hers back in time :fingerscrossed:

I think it's for the biometrics since if you smile it creases up your face and messes up the measurements

dottypotty Feb 8th 2010 7:46 pm

I am applying for my and my childrens passports to be renewed all at the same time. I rememeber when I renewed them in the uk, the applications came with an business reply envelope and I mailed each one seperately. Does any one know if I can mail all 3 applications together and just pay one lot of postage fee at $12?

lisa67 Feb 8th 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by dottypotty (Post 8324237)
I am applying for my and my childrens passports to be renewed all at the same time. I rememeber when I renewed them in the uk, the applications came with an business reply envelope and I mailed each one seperately. Does any one know if I can mail all 3 applications together and just pay one lot of postage fee at $12?

I mailed both of my kids passports and renewal applications together to Washington :)

lisa67 Feb 8th 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamestravis (Post 8323816)
I think it's for the biometrics since if you smile it creases up your face and messes up the measurements

ahhh....thanks for the explanation :)

...but both kids are smiling on their US visas and AP documents....different govs. different rules I guess!

dottypotty Feb 9th 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8324272)
I mailed both of my kids passports and renewal applications together to Washington :)

Did you just pay the $12 postage once? On the website it state that $12 is for up to 4 passports. I remember in UK all our passports came back separately, did your kids passports come back together?

lisa67 Feb 9th 2010 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by dottypotty (Post 8326488)
Did you just pay the $12 postage once? On the website it state that $12 is for up to 4 passports. I remember in UK all our passports came back separately, did your kids passports come back together?

kids pps came back together and because they had my credit card details they charged my card $12 (0nce) to return them to me.

geoffreybrooks Feb 11th 2010 1:03 pm

Jewels391234

Sorry to have been away for a short while.

Extreme delay has nothing to do with the date of travel. On my application I put my date for travel as July 2010. As I have mentioned the passport was finally delivered after ten weeks.

They are not interested in "criminal activity", their work is the security of UK borders. If you think about it, it stands to reason that the US intelligence services are involved. Bearing in mind the courier service we are forced to use, why otherwise would it be is more convenient to have the issuing office for the Americas in Washington DC than London?

Something in the past was done or said which they recorded.

Amanda F Feb 16th 2010 3:34 pm

Can anyone help?

UK Passport sent to DC for renewing - they received my FedEx package Jan 27th but Im still not in their system today, Feb 15th. Careline told me the office had been closed extra days due to the snow, they apologised for the delay and was told to call back 5 days before travel with flight details to see if they can expidite process but I may go insane with worry before next week....travel date is March 4th x 3 tickets to London.

Can I just go to DC and pick up the passport and re-send it in when I get back - its still valid a month after my return date, I only sent in because I thought I had plenty of time and wanted to do it before the summer rush..so much for being organised!!

WHY would they change the webpage message from 10 days to 4 weeks...

swingingvolley Feb 19th 2010 12:59 am

Hi Everyone,
Was just getting a little worried that my daughter's passport renewal had not come back so I did a little research and stumbled upon this forum. I see I'm not alone!

We are leaving on March 23 on a Caribbean cruise....what are my chances that it's going to get here before then??? I'm REALLY DEPRESSED after reading about the huge delays.

Here's our timeline:
Posted Jan 10
charged Jan 26

Is it worth calling CARELINE? Can they do anything other than tell you it's being processed? I keep seeing posts about contacting Dean. Is this through calling the consulate or through this forum?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

swingingvolley Feb 19th 2010 1:13 am

Forgot to say we are in the US if that makes any difference. Off to search for that form on the passport webs:frown:ite to enquire about status????

swingingvolley Feb 19th 2010 1:19 am

Apologies for all of these itty bitty posts,,,can anyone direct me to the enquiry page on the passport website, apparently you fill it in to enquire about the status of you passport processing...hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick!
Thanks again

jamestravis Feb 19th 2010 2:03 am

This is the user Dean that you've seen mentioned. http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085

British Consul Feb 19th 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by swingingvolley (Post 8356289)
Apologies for all of these itty bitty posts,,,can anyone direct me to the enquiry page on the passport website, apparently you fill it in to enquire about the status of you passport processing...hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick!
Thanks again

The enquiry form was on the website when the Passport Centre had a normal than usual backlog. We decided to take it down because it was being abused with bogus enquiries that were diverting our staff from their jobs.

You can call our passport information helpline and they will tell you whether your passport is in the system. Things to note: the recent snow in Washington DC has meant that mail deliveries were delayed and, as a result, there is a backlog of passport applications that haven't been enetered into the system. They will be entered soon, and you should receive your passport within 4 weeks of it being received at the Passport Centre.

Dean

British Consul Feb 19th 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Amanda F (Post 8347398)

WHY would they change the webpage message from 10 days to 4 weeks...

Customers were getting confused by the 10 day processing time. Nothing has changed but we're attempting to manage expectations. The Passport Centre has 10 days to process a routine application from the time payment is taken (this doesn't include first time applications) but some customers thought that they would receive a passport within 10 days of sending in their application. If you send a properly completed application, with the correct fee, you should expect to receive it back within 4 weeks (i.e. allowing for the time it takes to get to the Passport Centre by mail, 10 days processing, and the time it takes to get back to you by mail).

Hope this helps.

Dean

swingingvolley Feb 19th 2010 11:48 am

Thank you to everyone that responded in such a speedy manner. I thought I was going crazy looking for that enquiry form on the embassy website. My application went in second week of Jan so we are at the 5 WEEK mark now. Fingers crossed we'll get it soon!:fingerscrossed:

Santo El Feb 21st 2010 1:46 am

Hi, I was searching around the web and found this thread and I thought I would post to see if I can get some insight.

My mother in law sent her passport application from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico on December 15 2009 together with authorization to take payment from a credit card, the application was returned with a letter on January 11 2010 which stated that the passport office was unable to take payment. The application was resubmitted with a money order to the value of 278 dollars and sent by UPS (again from Guadalajara) on January 18 2010 using overnight delivery.

Well, we just found out that the credit card was in fact charged the full amount the first time (the credit card statement appears as January 26), basically my mother in law has been charged twice already for her passport, that wouldn’t be so bad if she had the passport by now. She was supposed to travel more than 2 weeks ago to visit her daughter (my wife) and our new born twin daughters, she already missed their birthday and I’ve had to reschedule her trip twice.

The worst thing is, we’ve already called the helpline several times and they always say the same thing, that my mother in law’s application is not yet in the system and that I should call later, I already escalated the issue last Monday but haven’t had any news, called back on Friday and they said the same thing that they don’t have any info yet.

This is really frustrating, we have no passport, we’ve spent more than $1000 dollars between flight changes, passport fees and calls and we don’t even know if the passport is in the queue. It has been more than two months since the first application was sent and one month since the second one, I'm not sure what else we can do.

ian-mstm Feb 21st 2010 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Santo El (Post 8361504)
My mother in law sent her passport application...

What citizenship is your MIL? What is her status in Mexico? Which country's passport is she trying to get? Where did she send it?

... basically my mother in law has been charged twice already for her passport
She can dispute the charge with the credit card company - especially if she has proof that payment was initially refused.

I’ve had to reschedule her trip twice.
It would have been prudent to not make travel plans prior to her actually having her passport in her hands. But... it's water under the bridge now.

Ian

Santo El Feb 21st 2010 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8362544)
What citizenship is your MIL? What is her status in Mexico? Which country's passport is she trying to get? Where did she send it?

She has both Mexican and British citizenships; she is trying to get her British passport and she sent the application to the British embassy in Washington DC.

She can dispute the charge with the credit card company - especially if she has proof that payment was initially refused.?

Yes, that is what we’ll probably do but I thought it may be prudent to wait until we get her passport.

It would have been prudent to not make travel plans prior to her actually having her passport in her hands. But... it's water under the bridge now..?

I agree, I guess I was too optimistic but as you said it is water under the bridge now.

Alan

JAJ Feb 21st 2010 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Santo El (Post 8363366)
She has both Mexican and British citizenships; she is trying to get her British passport and she sent the application to the British embassy in Washington DC.

Where is she looking to travel to? Can she use her Mexican passport?

Santo El Feb 21st 2010 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8363375)
Where is she looking to travel to? Can she use her Mexican passport?

Seattle, USA. She can't use her Mexican passport, she never applied for a visa since it’s easier to travel using her British passport.

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2010 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Santo El (Post 8363435)
Seattle, USA. She can't use her Mexican passport, she never applied for a visa since it’s easier to travel using her British passport.

Why would she need a visa if she has both UK and Mexican citizenships?

Santo El Feb 21st 2010 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8363506)
Why would she need a visa if she has both UK and Mexican citizenships?

Correct, she doesn't need one since she can travel using her British passport (through the visa waiver program) but she doesn't have a British passport because she is still waiting for the embassy to issue her a new one (please see my original post) that is the whole problem.

ian-mstm Feb 22nd 2010 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Santo El (Post 8363435)
She can't use her Mexican passport, she never applied for a visa since it’s easier to travel using her British passport.

I was unaware that Mexican citizens needed a visa to enter the US. Wow... I've learned something new today.

Ian

JAJ Feb 22nd 2010 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8363612)
I was unaware that Mexican citizens needed a visa to enter the US. Wow... I've learned something new today.

Mexican passport holders need a visa for the USA, Canada, Australia and Brazil. But other than that, the Mexican passport offers fairly good visa free travel, including the UK, Ireland, the Schengen zone of Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and most of South America.

(unofficial)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...xican_citizens

Brit78 Feb 22nd 2010 5:17 pm

Hello All,

New to the site here and have a passport question for the experts (Dean). I have read all about the delays and am just curious as to what my expectations should be. The turnaround time is stated to be 4 weeks. My dilema is that my passport will have been received by the embassy 3 weeks ago tomorrow and my credit card has still not been charged. I keep reading that the 4 weeks begins when the card is charged, but going on 3 weeks now with no charge. This seems a bit ridiculous to me. Let me know and thank you for your help.

Tim