British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Amanda F Mar 3rd 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Hi everyone,

So my time line was as follows

travel dates March 4th to London

application for a renewal received Jan 27th
payment taken Feb 17th
Feb 25th called Careline who escalated service 5 days prior to flight
weekend PM to Dean asking for any assistance as was uncertain if passport was truly escalated after reading other posts on here.
Dean replied over the weekend offering help - very impressive :)
Passport was received Monday morning, March 1st before 10am - kissed the UPS man
Passport was actually issued Feb 26th - the day after I called Careline.

By the way it seems Careline operate 24 hours a day after I asked them their operating hours - I think the website says something different. I called 10pm PST last Thursday and they picked up.

lostinmex Mar 3rd 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8390230)
First time applications take longer.

Dean

Yes I know and I was referring to a renewal in the first sentance, but it would be nice if someone in Washington could put on the website a maximum time frame for a first-time passport application. Currently it's like saying it could be ready between 4 weeks (previously 10 days) from debiting the fees to forever which is very unprofessional in my opinion. I already have a British passport and it doesn't seem like my one year old with a British birth certificate would need a massive background check.

McMonster Mar 3rd 2010 3:25 pm

Here's my timeline.

got the information a few weeks ago that an aproved US work visa wont be issued without two adjacent clean pages in the passport- despite being previously told this was not true.
Travel date- March 7th.
The last pair of pages has one entry stamp from a few weeks ago.
Drove to UK Consul Toronto to get advice- told to send to DC with a covering letter expaining circumstances and date of travel and it would be looked on favourably.
Sent my passport, not due to expire till Nov 2013, to DC Feb 10th, signed for Feb 12th.
As of Friday no charge on appears on credit card. Called Careline friday to escalate. No change. Sent Dean a PM Friday. Called Careline again monday- no change.
Monday evening- Got a message from Dean that passport was printing and would be mailed following day.
Passport arrived this morning at 10:30am.

my guess is that without the intervention of The Honourable Dean mine and many other passports would still be gathering dust in DC.

Enormous gratitude to His Excellency in Orlando.

Elvira Mar 3rd 2010 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by McMonster (Post 8390698)
my guess is that without the intervention of The Honourable Dean mine and many other passports would still be gathering dust in DC.

Enormous gratitude to His Excellency in Orlando.

He really is worth his weight in gold, is our Dean! :thumbsup:

Now, it occurred to me that there must be other Consuls dotted around the country. If so, who are they, where are they - and why aren't they hanging their hats at BE? :confused:

hobbes79 Mar 3rd 2010 4:31 pm

Sent mine off end of Jan with also the birth registration app.

Feb 3rd, amount for the birth reg taken from my credit card. Apart from that, not a peep out of them.

YESTERDAY (yes, a month!) receive an e-mail to say my credit card has been declined. This was due to a possible fraud threat so my number got changed as a precaution.

Little did I know they'd be so slow and they would do the passport at another time.

Inquired just to make sure we're on the same page and that the 3rd Feb transaction was something else.

Get told that charge was for my son's birth reg but they still need payment for my daughter's passport.

I e-mail back a little incredulous, since I hadn't filled out any forms about my son. Plus he was born in Frimley in Surrey!

Get a response to say that was a mistake.

I provide the new credit card number and said just to e-mail they got it ok and it went through.

A few hours go by. I e-mail again and again ask for confirmation.

Get a one word e-mail to say "Yes".

Charming :rofl:

Over a month later, a few hundred dollars down, and only a few stroppy e-mails to show for it :rolleyes:

Hopefully I get something in the mail soon!

jewels391234 Mar 3rd 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8390244)
Properly completed applications should be processed within 10 working days (i.e. that means allow 4 weeks for it to get back to you by mail). First time applications, and those without the correct supporting documentation, will take longer. I can only assume that there was a problem with your original application?

Dean

No I didnt even get a email or phone call to say it was filled out wrong. It was like it was on hold. It was considered a first time application because I havent held a passport since I was a teenager. If it was filled out wrong shouldnt I have some indication months ago??? Basicly I applied, they took the money out on Oct 14/2009 then nothing.
Good news is I got a phone call from Washington yesterday:)

Bob Mar 3rd 2010 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 8390836)

Now, it occurred to me that there must be other Consuls dotted around the country. If so, who are they, where are they - and why aren't they hanging their hats at BE? :confused:

There's one for Abu Dhabi and Aus I think hanging around...

lansbury Mar 3rd 2010 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 8390867)
Get a one word e-mail to say "Yes".

Hey what more do you want, 2 words and the passport doubles in price. A sentence and you'd have to take out a loan for it. :p

mcurrie Mar 3rd 2010 11:29 pm

Passport Delays

Dean Please Help
I mailed my daughters British Passport Application on the 7 January. It was signed for on the 13 January. Money taken out on the 26 January. I'm leaving on a trip to see family on the 17 March 2010 and I'm really getting worried about not receiving my Passport back in time. I sent my passport as varification that i'm a British Citizen. I was unaware that it would take longer than 4 weeks.
Please is there anything you can do?

mcurrie

hobbes79 Mar 4th 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mcurrie (Post 8391895)
I sent my passport as varification that i'm a British Citizen.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you're only required to send a copy of your passport.

Not the actual passport.

lisa67 Mar 4th 2010 8:10 pm

Just called the careline for the second time (was told to call if I hadn't received them by today with my case number)
Was told that they're still waiting to be printed and then the nice scottish lady started jabbering on and on about the dates I'd sent, the snow etc. etc...not giving me any new information, but keeping me on the line for quite a long time until in the end I interrupted her and told I'd call back on Monday with my travel details.....hmm....am I being cynical about this "care"line :rolleyes:

Jscl Mar 4th 2010 8:26 pm

The Embassy has charged my credit card! So at least I am a bit further on. So my timeline is:

Feb 9th (day before the storm): Renewal Application received at Embassy
Mar 4th (Day 23): CC charged

Luton74 Mar 4th 2010 10:42 pm

G'day everyone, my first post to the forum. What better way to start then to add my two pence about my passport renewal so far. Posted 12 Jan by UPS Ground, received 19 Jan.(i was in no rush to get it there because i assumed it would be quick). My money order for $225.80(the extra for insurance) was cashed on 29 Jan., and guess what as of today NOTHING! I was suppose to travel on 15 March however i do not see that happening.

Lady K Mar 5th 2010 3:31 pm

Ugh. Reading of this is making me feel dreadful. I was really hoping it would only take the five weeks mentioned on the website.
My father was born in England in 1954 and didn't become a Canadian citizen until 1973. He had a British passport that expired in 1981 which he never renewed. Due to the fact that it was an old 'blue' passport, he had to apply as a first time applicant.
I have called careline about 6 times in the last 3 months trying to make sure I have everything in order; birth certificates, marriage certificates ect.
It is also my first time applying for my British passport as I was born in Canada.
Our applications were sent in together.
Please tell me it doesn't really take 12 weeks! I'm planning on traveling in May with the intention of working in Europe for the summer months.

My timeline begins:
Febuary 25th - Application signed for in Washington.

bugman Mar 5th 2010 5:22 pm

quick question.

can i assume that photographs can be countersigned by somebody in the USA?

the Uk site does mention needs to have a british passport number but i guess its different rules for passports renewed abroad.

lansbury Mar 5th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bugman (Post 8396817)
quick question.

can i assume that photographs can be countersigned by somebody in the USA?

the Uk site does mention needs to have a british passport number but i guess its different rules for passports renewed abroad.

Yes someone in the US who meets the criteria for time they have known you and are of suitable standing.

Lady K Mar 5th 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by jewels391234 (Post 8389308)
Hey everyone
Just want to give a bit of an update. After almost 5 months and 6 calls to the Careline I finally got a call back from Washington about my passport. I dont know why they waited so long to contact Washington. 3 months after applying for my passport you would think I would have got someone to call me. The Careline is just a money grab as far as I am concerned because they did absolutely nothing for me til now.
Canadian passports are issued 1 to 2 weeks after they recieve the application and you dont pay to call someone to find out info.
It cost me almost 70 dollars to call England and now they get Washington to call me???
Well my point is everyone be forewarned...Dont assume your passport will be processed and delivered in 4 weeks ... That isnt always the case. Some do ,some dont.
Hopefully I will get my passport by the 6 month mark lol

That is insane! 5 months since they received your application?
There has to be a faster way. I am also applying for my first passport out of Toronto. Is there no email inquiry to Washington? I can't have those kind of delays as I am traveling in May.

ian-mstm Mar 5th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lady K (Post 8397036)
There has to be a faster way.

There is... return to the UK and renew it there. While it's certainly not convenient, it is much faster.

Ian

lostinmex Mar 5th 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Mr UPS just dropped off my daughters passports :eek:

I applied for one childs renewal and one childs first-time passport.

The time frame:

Our application arrives in Washington 19th Jan.
Credit card debited 4th Feb.
New passports delivered 5th March.

Hope you all get your passports on time. :fingerscrossed:

Jscl Mar 5th 2010 9:30 pm

That's great LostinMex, what a relief! Not good news for me though, if I applied that timeline to me my passport wouldn't be back before my flight :(.

mcurrie Mar 5th 2010 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mcurrie (Post 8391895)
Dean Please Help
I mailed my daughters British Passport Application on the 7 January. It was signed for on the 13 January. Money taken out on the 26 January. I'm leaving on a trip to see family on the 17 March 2010 and I'm really getting worried about not receiving my Passport back in time. I sent my passport as varification that i'm a British Citizen. I was unaware that it would take longer than 4 weeks.
Please is there anything you can do?

mcurrie

Got passport back. :)

kinghuang Mar 5th 2010 9:39 pm

Great to hear about people getting their passports! I'm still waiting for my credit card to be charged.

Luton74 Mar 5th 2010 10:33 pm

Maybe they should work on saturdays to try and clear some of the applications?

Zonie Mar 5th 2010 10:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Luton74 (Post 8397706)
Maybe they should work on saturdays to try and clear some of the applications?

Luton74 Mar 5th 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah, your probably right mate, what was i thinking.

Bob Mar 6th 2010 12:13 am

knock the cost up even more? :lol:

Luton74 Mar 6th 2010 3:29 am

Wonder if Dean could assist me with mine, i dread calling that careline number. :fingerscrossed:

redbarn99 Mar 7th 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8390236)
Send me a PM with full name, dob, and city application should be mailed to. The British Consulate-General in Chicago doesn't register births, only the British Embassy in Washington (see. www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk).

JAJ - thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't going to go there...!

Dean

Dean, hope you received the PM that you requested.
Thank you

jewels391234 Mar 8th 2010 4:34 am

Hi everyone thought I would let you know I GOT MY PASSPORT!!!!! only 5 months and 6 calls to the Careline and 70 dollars in calls I finally GOT IT!!!:rofl:

lisa67 Mar 8th 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jewels391234 (Post 8403079)
Hi everyone thought I would let you know I GOT MY PASSPORT!!!!! only 5 months and 6 calls to the Careline and 70 dollars in calls I finally GOT IT!!!:rofl:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

congrats...we're still waiting...due to go on vacation on Saturday! Dean's on the case though so I'm very hopeful.:)

bugman Mar 8th 2010 3:26 pm

related....i find conflicting info on countersignature of photos, currently you dont need countersignature if appearence is similar to previous pp photo? anybody ou there got their PP back and didnt have countersigned photos?

so i assume 10 years of ageing doesnt count then, thats nice to know!

shauny2k5 Mar 8th 2010 3:54 pm

Partial timeline

Feb 10 - Mailed passport application
Feb 15 - Received delivery confirmation from USPS (snowstorm delayed delivery)
March 8 - Still haven't charged my credit card.

Jscl Mar 8th 2010 4:22 pm

Shauny, if their backlog hasn't increased you should have your card charged this week. My application was received Feb 9th (just before the storm) and my card was charged last Thursday.

Bugman, I had mine countersigned just in case. The last 10 years have not been kind...!

kinghuang Mar 8th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by shauny2k5 (Post 8404355)
Partial timeline

Feb 10 - Mailed passport application
Feb 15 - Received delivery confirmation from USPS (snowstorm delayed delivery)
March 8 - Still haven't charged my credit card.

Mine was mailed January 31, but not received until February 16. I'm hoping my credit card gets charged, soon, too.

bugman Mar 8th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 8404433)
Shauny, if their backlog hasn't increased you should have your card charged this week. My application was received Feb 9th (just before the storm) and my card was charged last Thursday.

Bugman, I had mine countersigned just in case. The last 10 years have not been kind...!

whats annoying is the ambiguity of the requirement. My first PP i could almost pass for a girl, second, a young guy, now for my third i shall just look like some old bloke!! the 10 year snapshots of ourselves are a bit disconcerting!

Jscl Mar 8th 2010 5:08 pm

I'm guessing once you get to "haggard," which I fear I have reached, the photos are going to look much the same every decade! Maybe the same works for "old bloke!"

Luton74 Mar 8th 2010 8:29 pm

Just arrived home and there it was in a UPS mail flyer, my passport at long last.:p

lisa67 Mar 8th 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Luton74 (Post 8405117)
Just arrived home and there it was in a UPS mail flyer, my passport at long last.:p

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

kinghuang Mar 8th 2010 9:03 pm

Wow, lots of good news, today! :thumbup:

Zonie Mar 8th 2010 9:05 pm

Best start the application now for it's renewal. :)