Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
MY FIL passed away last year. My husband is one of six kids, but suddenly none of his siblings had any money to help pay for the funeral. Not wanting to upset his mother any more than she already was, we ended up paying for everything - top of the line coffin, a concrete box on the outside of the coffin, so the coffin itself wouldn't rot (!!!), plus the wake and funeral - a tidy $30,000 when all was said and done. Complete insanity.
WOW ......thats the most I have ever heard of for a funeral
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

MY FIL passed away last year. My husband is one of six kids, but suddenly none of his siblings had any money to help pay for the funeral. Not wanting to upset his mother any more than she already was, we ended up paying for everything - top of the line coffin, a concrete box on the outside of the coffin, so the coffin itself wouldn't rot (!!!), plus the wake and funeral - a tidy $30,000 when all was said and done. Complete insanity.
did you not shop around?

you didn't HAVE to pay $30k though really did you.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
That sounds lovely. I think I'd like something like that myself.

http://www.greenburials.org/
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Just googled average funeral costs in the US is $6,750
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Just googled average funeral costs in the US is $6,750
sounds more like it....cremation for me however
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
A place in England uses old orange boxes and plants you under a tree...sounds nice and back to nature to me...always like that idea myself....
Yes I like that idea also.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Yep for us too and put the cremains in a brown paper bag
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

and for me...there's no way I want to go into the ground.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what they do with me. If someone spends 10 grand on it though, I'll haunt them forever.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hi All,

My dear Mother-In-Law passed away suddenly, last week, due to a Massive Heart Attack. We had the Funeral Service, for her, this past Monday.

Just wanted you to know that the cost for a Basic Funeral will run you about $10,000 and that is for a Casket made by our local Trappist Monks

Jim.
Sorry to hear about your MIL.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:13 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I don't care what they do with me. If someone spends 10 grand on it though, I'll haunt them forever.
Glad bag and shovel.........$30 max.

Bottom of the yard, moonlit night.........next to the cat.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

jackie dwyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
did you not shop around?

you didn't HAVE to pay $30k though really did you.
No, we didn't. But we didn't have the time to shop around. He passed away on Sat. am and the wake had to be on Sunday and Monda, with a funeral on Tuesday (they do it the opposite way around to the UK). With my MIL in such a state and my husband and I wanting to appease her as quickly as possible, we got suckered into going to the nearest funeral home and paying for the whole package -- apparently having price tags attached to coffins would be in poor taste, yet shelling out $30,000 isn't considered to be. We're also living on Long Island, where everything is fairly expensive. And, of course, when you have a MIL who wanted the best of the best for her newly deceased husband, it was hard to slap her down.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

But we didn't have the time to shop around. He passed away on Sat. am and the wake had to be on Sunday and Monda, with a funeral on .
i think that's it, the funeral happens all too quickly after the loved one has passed away.....why

they embalm here so just do that and keep the body until the family have chance to gather round and price the funeral up realistically.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

jackie dwyer is an unknown quantity at this point

i think that's it, the funeral happens all too quickly after the loved one has passed away.....why

they embalm here so just do that and keep the body until the family have chance to gather round and price the funeral up realistically.
I completely agree. My FIL was dying for several years and had plenty of time to think and plan and pay for his funeral that there was no reason why we should end up paying for it. However, there was also a sense that "my kids owe me this after all I've done for them". Inexcusable and selfish, I know, but there it is. But when it came down to it, none of his offspring would put their hands in their pockets. Families are great, huh?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

I completely agree. My FIL was dying for several years and had plenty of time to think and plan and pay for his funeral that there was no reason why we should end up paying for it. However, there was also a sense that "my kids owe me this after all I've done for them". Inexcusable and selfish, I know, but there it is. But when it came down to it, none of his offspring would put their hands in their pockets. Families are great, huh?
poor you jackie...yes, that sounds very selfish of the whole family!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.