British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/outrageous-cost-funerals-%2410-000-a-472742/)

Scouse Express Aug 9th 2007 5:53 am

Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Hi All,

My dear Mother-In-Law passed away suddenly, last week, due to a Massive Heart Attack. We had the Funeral Service, for her, this past Monday.

Just wanted you to know that the cost for a Basic Funeral will run you about $10,000 and that is for a Casket made by our local Trappist Monks:thumbdown:

Jim.

Sally Aug 9th 2007 6:01 am

Re: Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 5166539)
Hi All,

My dear Mother-In-Law passed away suddenly, last week, due to a Massive Heart Attack. We had the Funeral Service, for her, this past Monday.

Just wanted you to know that the cost for a Basic Funeral will run you about $10,000 and that is for a Casket made by our local Trappist Monks:thumbdown:

Jim.

No Co-op :(

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Redlippie Aug 9th 2007 11:13 am

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Yup. It is a huge production over here.

southern comfort Aug 9th 2007 1:37 pm

Hi All,

Jim.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my grandson three weeks ago. We have decided on cremation for ourselves basic cost is around $795.

Jerseygirl Aug 9th 2007 1:39 pm

I think it's dreadful...I don't want anyone to profit over my death.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Maz Aug 9th 2007 2:16 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, Jim. Yes, they do rather profit from death over here, it's awful! My FIL died 2 years ago and my MIL wanted this huge metal casket. Into saving the planet, she is not. :rolleyes: But that little lot cost $14K... :ohmy: :eek:

krizzy Aug 9th 2007 3:03 pm

You can get a good casket online for around $500....Funeral homes have to use it and can't charge you for any 'extra's'..."The Federal Trade Commission Rule 16 C.F.R. Part 453 states that funeral homes can no longer condition the purchase of a casket with the purchase of other funeral goods and services. If you choose to purchase your casket from a source other than a funeral home, the funeral home of your choice MUST accept the casket you have provided without duress or embarrassment to the consumer".

Sorry for your loss...

Ozzidoc Aug 9th 2007 3:10 pm

Sorry for your loss.

TruBrit Aug 9th 2007 3:17 pm

Hi All,

Jim.

wow that's pricey but then i'm not up to date with funeral prices which is a good thing i suppose :o

sorry to hear about your MIL, sounds like she didn't suffer too long which is a blessing.

jackie dwyer Aug 9th 2007 3:43 pm

Hi All,

Jim.

MY FIL passed away last year. My husband is one of six kids, but suddenly none of his siblings had any money to help pay for the funeral. Not wanting to upset his mother any more than she already was, we ended up paying for everything - top of the line coffin, a concrete box on the outside of the coffin, so the coffin itself wouldn't rot (!!!), plus the wake and funeral - a tidy $30,000 when all was said and done. Complete insanity.

penguinsix Aug 9th 2007 3:45 pm

I am sorry to hear of your loss. That does sound a ridiculous price tag.

When I was younger and stupid, I tried to convince my friends that we should buy an old blackpowder cannon, dress up all formal and start a service called 'Out with a Bang' in which we would blast the ashes of loved ones over their favorite places. We never did get around to it though.

TruBrit Aug 9th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer (Post 5168860)
MY FIL passed away last year. My husband is one of six kids, but suddenly none of his siblings had any money to help pay for the funeral. Not wanting to upset his mother any more than she already was, we ended up paying for everything - top of the line coffin, a concrete box on the outside of the coffin, so the coffin itself wouldn't rot (!!!), plus the wake and funeral - a tidy $30,000 when all was said and done. Complete insanity.

what, that is unbelievable :eek:

you said it.....complete insanity!

krizzy Aug 9th 2007 3:48 pm

A place in England uses old orange boxes and plants you under a tree...sounds nice and back to nature to me...always like that idea myself....

krizzy Aug 9th 2007 3:52 pm

This place was on fox News....

http://funeraldepot.com/Funeralandcr...FSJdUAodyzh8ug

Redlippie Aug 9th 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy (Post 5168880)
A place in England uses old orange boxes and plants you under a tree...sounds nice and back to nature to me...always like that idea myself....

That sounds lovely. I think I'd like something like that myself. :)