Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account help

Opening a bank account help

Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account help

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Other than slagging them off for being "awful", do you have anything constructive to say?

I am not getting a kickback from Wells for recommending them and would not do so were I not confident that others will have the same positive experience I have had. I have been more than happy, delighted even, with the many years service I have had from them as a customer of the Wells Fargo bank and mortgage businesses.
+1 for Wells Fargo. My branch is FAB!! I've got the same team there that was there when we first moved 2 years ago. I email my manager, he gets back straight away. We've had a lot of messing about what with being in France and the UK and here and they 've been great.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Hope this works....
ok....so they appear here in reverse order
The 2nd shows post #46

The 1st shows what #46 links to when clicking on the icon beside my name and supposedly linking to my original post....

This manipulation is a violation of site rules
That said I am going to remove all posts referring to this as it is taking the thread off topic.

If it is a violation of the site rules the appropriate action will be taken.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm anyway, the USA PATRIOT Act doesn't require they check for the SSN specifically but the provision it inserts into the Banking Act does require financial institutions to have a "customer identification program" to positively identify customers which is why it can be very tricky to open an account with an online bank if you're not a US citizen/LPR (because then you're a "US person" as described in the Banking Act - we had this argument before, the definition in the Banking Act is NOT the same as in the Internal Revenue Code, which includes a person resident in the US for tax purposes). Usually an SSN is one of the things they ask for, because it goes on the W-8BEN or W-9, although W-8BEN can be used by the FI without an SSN or an ITIN.

So the OP is L-2 anyway, and as such can get an SSN, although he's got to file an I-765 and get an EAD first.

From that point on, if you're going to be resident in the US for tax purposes, the process for opening a bank account is the same as for any American really, just go into the bank and sign a W-9.

If you're going into a bank in person they'll usually let you get a bank account and come back with the SSN to update them when you've got it.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:53 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

So the OP is L-2 anyway, and as such can get an SSN, although he's got to file an I-765 and get an EAD first.
I got my ssn within a week of arriving on an L2 - long before EAD or anything else. I had to get it for my driving license too.

IIRC this was the order of getting things done soon after arrival with L2
Bank Account
Rental house
electricity/internet/phone/water
SSN
Driving license

then the EAD came along, then all the Green card palaver....
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That said I am going to remove all posts referring to this as it is taking the thread off topic.

If it is a violation of the site rules the appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you JG
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well, you can use the search facility for currency exchange on this site...it's been covered a lot.

By setting up an account with a service like worldfirst you can transfer your money between banks in different countries very quickly and cheaply. You usually get a better exchange rate and it happens faster. Also, no bank charges!! Worldfirst charges about £10 per transfer which is cheaper than the banks. If you think you will be transferring large amounts of money this is definitely the best way to go. BUT you do have to do it in advance since they verify you and your bank account. Also make sure that whichever service you use is allowed to conduct business in the state to which you are moving.
Now, with Worldfirst,how much are you allowed to transfer in one go? I opened an xe.com account today as I'd heard good things about them and it will only let me transfer around $8,000 which won't cover all of my savings by the time I get there... I read that staggering transfers will be deemed suspicious?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon89
Now, with Worldfirst,how much are you allowed to transfer in one go? I opened an xe.com account today as I'd heard good things about them and it will only let me transfer around $8,000 which won't cover all of my savings by the time I get there... I read that staggering transfers will be deemed suspicious?
I believe you can request a higher limit, may have to do it by phone. Of course at the other end there may be limits imposed by your UK bank on how much you can put into a bacs/fasterpayment.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I believe you can request a higher limit, may have to do it by phone. Of course at the other end there may be limits imposed by your UK bank on how much you can put into a bacs/fasterpayment.
Thanks. I've had a little look and you can request a higher limit on xe.com via a form you submit on your profile, but you may be subject to a credit check. Interesting sidenote - despite needing to add the information for my passport and for a bank statement, xe.com set up my account without asking to see either document and did so within hours. Amazingly quick.

Anyone know the default limit on Worldfirst? Also, Transferwise doesn't appear to have a limit?

My bank apparently allows a maximum of £20,000's worth of payments a day so I think I'll be fine on that end of things haha!
Old Jun 27th 2015, 2:17 am
Austin. TX.

Worldfirst's limit is much higher than $10k. The issue for us came with having a 24 hour delay before the money was allowed to leave France.