Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account help

Opening a bank account help

Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account help

Go to the local credit union - they'll open an account for you. I've got no job and no SSN and deposited just $30. They asked no questions and STILL tried to force me into getting an overdraft on my account.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Doesn't matter, neither are requirements to opening an account.

Only need a SSN on interest accounts,.
Don't agree, before we were residents, we had a money market a/c with just an ITIN. Bank gave us a fictitious xxxx last four of SSN to use as a security question.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all!

Do you know if it's possible to open a bank account with a US bank prior to travelling over there? I have savings I want to transfer
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
Thanks all!

Do you know if it's possible to open a bank account with a US bank prior to travelling over there? I have savings I want to transfer
They would want to see at least your passports, possibly originals and I guess you would not want to mail them. Ask if they would accept a certified copy?
I am with SunTrust but looking to change asap next time I'm over.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by audio
They would want to see at least your passports, possibly originals and I guess you would not want to mail them. Ask if they would accept a certified copy?
I am with SunTrust but looking to change asap next time I'm over.
Thanks

Any other receommendations for banks....much the same as in UK I presume
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks

Any other receommendations for banks
I haven’t heard a good word said about any.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all!

Highly unlikely unless you already have a SSN, and established US address, because then banks can match your data to available databases which link your name, address, DoB, and SSN and thereby validate your application. As Audio said, any bank that will open an account for you as a non-citizen will want to see your passport and other identifying documentation.

People like to whinge about banks, especially here on BE, but Wells Fargo has a huge branch network from coast to coast (though bizarrely missing New England other than CT), and has come top in customer service surveys for many years. I have no complaints about Wells Fargo, have had no problems, and find their staff to be helpful and pleasant. I hear the same complaints and whinges that people make about all banks, but far fewer good things, about Bank of America.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Don't agree, before we were residents, we had a money market a/c with just an ITIN. Bank gave us a fictitious xxxx last four of SSN to use as a security question.
I should have been more specific I guess. The only "requirement" for using one is with an interest account, but that is not the only exclusive thing they will accept :/

There is no requirement to use a SSN/ITIN on a non-interest account.

Johnny foreigner, who doesn't have a SSN, they're meant to use 000-00-0004 as the generic number.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
I should have been more specific I guess. The only "requirement" for using one is with an interest account, but that is not the only exclusive thing they will accept :/

There is no requirement to use a SSN/ITIN on a non-interest account.

Johnny foreigner, who doesn't have a SSN, they're meant to use 000-00-0004 as the generic number.
Bob, I’m not sure where you are going with this.
Let me clarify with my own experience.
Whilst on vacation in the US, (overseas resident), I opened a checking and money saver account (savings account, with interest) with just my passport. (In an earlier post I mentioned with also an ITIN, this was issued later purely to obtain a TV package, but not required initially).
So in my experience in Florida, as a non-resident, no SSN obviously, you only need a passport and a bit of cash to open and hold a checking and or saving account (i.e. Money Market).

edit to add:
Incidentally, my generic number was xxx-xx-7777

Last edited by audio; Jun 16th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't that many countries where opening a (non-resident) bank account is any more complicated than simply showing up in person, showing and allowing them to copy your passport.

Key terms: IN PERSON and PASSPORT. This greatly simplifies the bank's ability to conform to KYC requirements.

If you can't appear in person, then there are a few dodgy offshore banks that will accept a scanned (possibly photoshopped) copy of your passport by email. Of course, then all your transactions to/from "real" banks will be under scrutiny, possibly frozen, or all your funds frozen just because the bank needs an excuse to keep your money...
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all!

Look into Transferwise or the many other similar money transfer options that have been mentioned on this site for moving your money around.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
..... there are a few dodgy offshore banks that will accept a scanned (possibly photoshopped) copy of your passport by email. Of course, then all your transactions to/from "real" banks will be under scrutiny, possibly frozen, or all your funds frozen just because the bank needs an excuse to keep your money...
If the money comes into the US and is "frozen" it will not end up in the hands of the bank but there is a very real risk that it will be subject to civil forfeiture. ..... If that happens, good luck with ever getting it back!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks All.

Can you open one in advance or not? I'd rather do that and transfer some cash over in advance
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:20 pm

Thanks All.

Can you open one in advance or not? I'd rather do that and transfer some cash over in advance
If you already have a SSN and a US address, "yes".

If you don't already have a SSN and a US address, unless you are physically in the bank branch to open, it "no".

If you visit the US you might be able to open a non-resident account with your passport and US address, but I suspect most banks will say no.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.
So my address for the first few months may be a hotel....any ideas if that'd be accepted...if not Im struggling to understand how to open an account and my wife getting paid!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.