British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Opening a bank account help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/opening-bank-account-help-860153/)

Fatboyslick Jun 15th 2015 10:38 am

Opening a bank account help

So, HSBC just told em I can't open a US account with them as I havent got a job when i move to the USA (going on an L2 Visa with my Wife who has the job)

HSBC reckons no bank will let me open a US account until i get a job

True? Options available to me?
I cant spend months paying massive fees to HSBC for using my uk account over there

Untitled 3 Jun 15th 2015 11:12 am

Re: Opening a bank account help

It might help if you have a significant amount of money to deposit into the account when you open it.

But why don't you just open a joint bank account with you wife?

Fatboyslick Jun 15th 2015 1:09 pm

That's what I think we may have to do now
We've never had one in UK

celticgrid Jun 15th 2015 1:25 pm

Try a different bank - don't take the word of some individual at HSBC. It was back in 2008 but I opened an account at Citizens before I had a job.

excpomea Jun 15th 2015 7:33 pm

My son just opened an account at our local credit union (Building society) He has no job. Hes a 17 year old student.

sir_eccles Jun 15th 2015 7:42 pm

I can't remember, do L2s have SSNs or ITINs?

Pulaski Jun 15th 2015 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 11675868)
My son just opened an account at our local credit union (Building society) He has no job. He's a 17 year old student.

He also has no access to credit as he isn't yet 18, and a current account for an adult has potential credit/ overdraft implications so your son's situation is not comparable to the OP's situation.

Anrev Jun 15th 2015 8:12 pm

I opened a Bank of America account which I just use occasionally

petitefrancaise Jun 15th 2015 8:21 pm

I've got my own bank account in the same branch as our joint account. No probs at all. Just open it with $50.
My kids have their own bank accounts too.
BTW Wells fargo

DottM Jun 15th 2015 9:05 pm

I managed to open an account with Bank of America and they never asked me for my passport/job info etc. To get a credit card I had to get a secured credit card however.

Bob Jun 15th 2015 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11675880)
I can't remember, do L2s have SSNs or ITINs?

Doesn't matter, neither are requirements to opening an account.

Only need a SSN on interest accounts, but they're a joke anyway.

RICH Jun 15th 2015 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick (Post 11675410)
So, HSBC just told em I can't open a US account with them as I havent got a job when i move to the USA (going on an L2 Visa with my Wife who has the job)

HSBC reckons no bank will let me open a US account until i get a job

True? Options available to me?
I cant spend months paying massive fees to HSBC for using my uk account over there

Sounds like you are trying to open an account before you go to US?

Once you get here you should be able to get an account at one of thousands of different banks. A job is not a requirement.

In 2004 I went into my local Bank of America to ask about the requirements and came out with an account opened. I was on K1 visa and if memory serves it was before we even got married. I certainly was not working.

sir_eccles Jun 15th 2015 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11675997)
Doesn't matter, neither are requirements to opening an account.

Only need a SSN on interest accounts, but they're a joke anyway.

I know that, but to the drone on the end of the phone with his script that says "ask them for their SSN"...

Pulaski Jun 15th 2015 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11676036)
I know that, but to the drone on the end of the phone with his script that says "ask them for their SSN"...

What the drone on the phone has forgotten is that the USA PATRIOT Act requirement to open an account is for "a government issued ID number, such as an SSN .....". A drivers license number or passport number works equally well :nod:

sir_eccles Jun 15th 2015 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11676038)
What the drone on the phone has forgotten is that the USA PATRIOT Act requirement to open an account is for "a government issued ID number, such as an SSN .....". A drivers license number or passport number works equally well :nod:

That's not on his script and he won't be able to type it in his silly little computer. Then after maybe an hour you'll get to the address part and he'll realize that he needs to put a zip code in which you don't have either and you'll realize you've both been wasting each others time.