British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Okay...Reality check time... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/okay-reality-check-time-471335/)

Ray Aug 5th 2007 2:20 am

Re: Okay...Reality check time...

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5149560)
*cough!* *splutter!* :lol:
(I'm kidding Ray :p :wub:)

Philistine .... In many areas I am known at Saint Ray ....

Maz Aug 5th 2007 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5149635)
Philistine .... In many areas I am known at Saint Ray ....

Places like Miami Beach? :p :lol:

another bloody yank Aug 5th 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 5146203)
American Dream? The clue is in the word 'Dream'. ;)

Really? For you, maybe. But respectfully, I think there a few million who might disagree. The clue is in realizing that that phrase probably wasn't coined by ex-pats coming over for a few years with a relo package and a waiting job, but by those who carried nothing but a suitcase and a desire for a better life. It's not all just a chapter in the history books either, talk to the Vietnamese restaurant owner, the Indian grocer, even the Korean lady that does nails or the Mexican cleaning lady and it's possible you'll get a different perspective.

For those coming from the UK or other some other western European countries, the "American Dream" probably doesn't exist in the way the phrase was intended. For you, emigrating might be an adventure, a change of pace, a chance to experience a different culture and better weather (the latter depends on location, of course!). For many coming from less fortunate backgrounds the "American Dream" is having the opportunity to take control of their lives and destiny to better their situation. Something they didn't have in the "old country".

Enough with the flag waving, any more and I'd have to start singing "God Bless America" and nobody wants that!

To the OP, FWIW, I think you made the right descision. You're coming here with a lot of things that will prove to be in your favor. Plenty of money, a visa that will ultimately allow you to work, many options on where to live, your destination is one of the greatest Cities in the country and you have the means to return home to the life you left if it doesn't work out for you. As others have said (and better than I), don't expect the U.K., keep an open mind and don't burn the bridge back home!

Good luck!

keira-2007 Aug 5th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5149042)
Thats where we are going Wellingborough :)

Whoa, that's spooky! Have you ever been to Wellingborough before? It's not exactly the centre of the universe is it? Cheap to live though. When are you moving back?

keira-2007 Aug 5th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5149056)
Give it a few weeks and we'll rip you a new asshole for something or other.

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 5149115)
fixed that up for ya.

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5149227)
Hey ....I'm mr nice guy here.....

???? Don't think i quite understand that expression? And..umm.. not sure I want to either!!! ;)

britvic Aug 5th 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5151791)
Whoa, that's spooky! Have you ever been to Wellingborough before? It's not exactly the centre of the universe is it? Cheap to live though. When are you moving back?

Yes many time's :) it's a place to start thats all. End of September.

keira-2007 Aug 5th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5149556)
She wouldn't happen to have done the first European Business Studies course there in 1986 would she? :eek: That would be too spooky!

And you are more than welcome. :wub:

You would think i should know what she did wouldn't you? She actually only went for a year or so... and I think it would have been about 89/90 ish. She was a spooky looking gothic type... or maybe that was durinng her punk phase? Blue mohican possibly!! I'm sure you'd remember her if you'd seen her!

keira-2007 Aug 5th 2007 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5151459)
Really? For you, maybe. But respectfully, I think there a few million who might disagree. The clue is in realizing that that phrase probably wasn't coined by ex-pats coming over for a few years with a relo package and a waiting job, but by those who carried nothing but a suitcase and a desire for a better life. It's not all just a chapter in the history books either, talk to the Vietnamese restaurant owner, the Indian grocer, even the Korean lady that does nails or the Mexican cleaning lady and it's possible you'll get a different perspective.

For those coming from the UK or other some other western European countries, the "American Dream" probably doesn't exist in the way the phrase was intended. For you, emigrating might be an adventure, a change of pace, a chance to experience a different culture and better weather (the latter depends on location, of course!). For many coming from less fortunate backgrounds the "American Dream" is having the opportunity to take control of their lives and destiny to better their situation. Something they didn't have in the "old country".

Enough with the flag waving, any more and I'd have to start singing "God Bless America" and nobody wants that!

To the OP, FWIW, I think you made the right descision. You're coming here with a lot of things that will prove to be in your favor. Plenty of money, a visa that will ultimately allow you to work, many options on where to live, your destination is one of the greatest Cities in the country and you have the means to return home to the life you left if it doesn't work out for you. As others have said (and better than I), don't expect the U.K., keep an open mind and don't burn the bridge back home!

Good luck!

You're right about not singing God Bless America, that would be nasty! (Or are you actually American - if so, I apologise.)

I am definitely going to go into this with a positive attitude, and take everything as it comes. (Which is easy to say but I am a natural-born-worrier so it will take some doing!!) Thankyou for your help. :thumbsup:

keira-2007 Aug 5th 2007 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5151799)
Yes many time's :) it's a place to start thats all. End of September.

Mmmm looks like I'll be leaving just as you are arriving. What are the chances of that? We'll have to keep in touch via BE so you can keep me posted on daily Wellingborough happenings!! (Like there are likely to be so many!) :thumbsup:

britvic Aug 5th 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5151817)
Mmmm looks like I'll be leaving just as you are arriving. What are the chances of that? We'll have to keep in touch via BE so you can keep me posted on daily Wellingborough happenings!! (Like there are likely to be so many!) :thumbsup:

I have family & friends scattered all over the South, do you really think I'll be doing all my socializing in Wellingborough alone. Once back home I doubt very much if I'll post more than a six month update on BE :)

jumping doris Aug 5th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5151814)
You're right about not singing God Bless America, that would be nasty! (Or are you actually American - if so, I apologise.)

I am definitely going to go into this with a positive attitude, and take everything as it comes. (Which is easy to say but I am a natural-born-worrier so it will take some doing!!) Thankyou for your help. :thumbsup:

We are British through and through but we still sing it when the need arises. We join in with the National anthem at football games and graduation ceremonies etc.

I went on a 3 day geography trip with the middle school and we sang all the patriotic songs before dinner each night.
And my youngest daughter says the Pledge every day. She doesn't have to but we have told all our children they must stand for the Pledge.
The youngest felt left out by not saying it and so she does, she has even been the one to read it over the school tannoy system.

TruBrit Aug 5th 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5151946)
We are British through and through but we still sing it when the need arises. We join in with the National anthem at football games and graduation ceremonies etc.

I went on a 3 day geography trip with the middle school and we sang all the patriotic songs before dinner each night.
And my youngest daughter says the Pledge every day. She doesn't have to but we have told all our children they must stand for the Pledge.
The youngest felt left out by not saying it and so she does, she has even been the one to read it over the school tannoy system.

what's the pledge ....and what does standing for the pledge entail?

so many new religions these days, it's hard to keep up ;)

britvic Aug 5th 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5151984)
what's the pledge ....and what does standing for the pledge entail?

so many new religions these days, it's hard to keep up ;)

Pledge in front of the Flag and stand with your hand on your heart, yes even Pierce had to learn it at such a young age. LOL I know your teasing "wink wink".

Ray Aug 5th 2007 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5152001)
Pledge in front of the Flag and stand with your hand on your heart, yes even Pierce had to learn it at such a young age. LOL I know your teasing "wink wink".

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

britvic Aug 5th 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5152010)
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Dont remind me, night after night we practiced it.