British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Okay...Reality check time... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/okay-reality-check-time-471335/)

Patrick Hasler Aug 4th 2007 4:38 am

Re: Okay...Reality check time...

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5145325)
Thanks for the advice Ray. BTW not all that sure I'm keen on your avatar...but whatever floats your boat!;)

Thats Ray's real tounge ......

You will get a mortgage eventually so don't worry, everyoen has to re-start life when they come here.
Get a secured credit card from a bank, the get a car loan (thats the easiest to get, build up your credit and pay some rent on an appartment....... Then apply for a mortgage.

It took me 4 years to get to the needed stage.

Good luck in Chicago ... the weather is very similar to this area .. F**kin hot in summer and F**kin freezing in winter

dunroving Aug 4th 2007 12:17 pm

From what others have said, it looks like you'll be able to work, plus you will be able to drive and to get a mortgage (been there, done that).

Are you and hubby looking at this as emigration (permanent), a short-term adventure, or wait-and-see? Have you sold your UK house? Are you planning to cut financial ties with the UK (closing bank accounts, etc.)?

If you are nervouse about the move, welcome to the club, everyone (just about) has gone through the last minute nerves, first year honeymoon, maybe second year homesickness, I'm sure there will be times you'll feel like you are on a rollercoaster. Anticipating that fact will help you to cope with it.

And if you are truly worried that you may hate it there and feel trapped, as others have said, keep your options open. DEFINITELY keep at least one UK bank account open, and consider opening a foreign currency account in the UK. If you haven't sold your UK house, then don't do so until you've had the chance to settle in the US and get a feeling for whether you might come back. There's plenty (me included) who have come back from the US and Oz and been stung by the rise in UK house prices during our time away. Also, if you have sold your UK house, consider registering as a voter and changing your address to a parent's, sibling's or good friend's address. It can help with some things if you maintain an address in the UK.

Start off looking at it as a short-term adventure, then you'll feel like you have an escape clause. Then if you end up loving every minute of it and want to stay, you can adapt your plans and outlook at that point.

Good luck - and as somene else said, remember you can always come back to the UK!

penguinsix Aug 4th 2007 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ali_j (Post 5146369)
Just remember that it IS a foreign country, quite, quite foreign, and expect the differences, even though we speak the same language (well, that's a whole other post, actually, not sure how similar the language actually is).

This is so true. It just needs to repeated over and over again. The sooner you realize it is different and stop comparing it as 'UK-lite, but lacking in this this and this' the sooner you'll find yourself enjoying what the US has to offer.

I think if you run through the messageboards on this site (not just the US ones) that you will find some of the more upset postings in the US, Australian and Canadian forums. People moved to these countries thinking it wasn't that big of a deal--similar culture, shared language, etc--but then come to find it isn't all they expected. Compare this to some of the posts in the Asian and Middle Eastern boards--where people went into their adventure as an adventure in a new culture and language and lifestyle--and you'll see a different level of acceptance in their new country.

There is another site that might really help you understand some of the problems you will face. Some of the posts there include:

Things I miss from home
Far from Family during Crisis
1 1/2 years in -- Feeling Very Homesick
Overwhelmed and Lonely
Wishing we did not move here
Lonley and Horribly sad ...It wasnt supposed to be like this...

These are posts from Americans who moved to the UK.
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

Things you miss are things that drive them nuts. Things you think are 'only a problem in the US' are causing them problems in the UK.

Understanding some of these common expat problems may help you get through some of the adjustments you'll be going through in the next few months.

And, as people always point out, there is always this message board to come back to when you are feeling out of sorts.

Patrick Hasler Aug 4th 2007 2:32 pm

Since she was asked wheree in Northants she was from she hasn't returned :confused:
I too was wondering as I am Northants born and bred

another bloody yank Aug 4th 2007 2:54 pm

This thread deserves some kind of prize, there are some really great posts here!

Ray Aug 4th 2007 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5147931)
Since she was asked wheree in Northants she was from she hasn't returned :confused:

Spent many a weekend in that part of the world ..70/80
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Pod

keira-2007 Aug 4th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Naomi999 (Post 5146079)
Hi Kiera. Whereabouts in Northants are you from? I grew up in Kettering, just got back from a visit there. I'm sure things seem quite overwhelming now, but just take each day as it comes and you'll do just fine. In a big city like Chicago you'll have tons of social networks to turn too, and having a child in school will be a big plus, lots of other parents to hang out with, school socials etc. Good luck. It will be a big change from Northants, but a good change I'm sure!
Naomi.

We live in a village near Wellingborough. Thankyou!

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 5146136)
If you love your life in the UK and have family and friends close by you personally I wouldn't leave, especially if your OH has a good job there.

If its for a set period of time ie 3 yrs on L1 visa and you can see it as an adventure for a period of time and feel you can be positive about it then great.

I don't know you or if you are just experiencing last minute jitters. If you are a lot of people here seemed to have it.

But if you're not, then if you are seriously not looking forward to it or positive about it and you haven't even moved IMO I don't think its going to get any better on this side.

Hate to be like this but am truly trying to be honest and helpful with you.

This is coming from someone who really likes it here and have found our 'dream' if you want to call it that.
But I was living away from my family and friends for a while anyway which makes being apart here not as hard as someone moving from being 'next door' to family.

I have thought about it plenty. I am going to look at it as a big adventure. I appreciate your thoughts. :D

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 5146150)
Sorry just read this after my post, didn't know you had made your mind up and coming so soon

I am coming over soon but only to visit. Not sure when the move will take place. We still have to sell the house!

I looked at is as a big adventure that occasionally crops up in life and that helped me. Have fun and yes you can get work if you apply to be allowed to.

Thankyou. Gosh everyone is so helpful and understanding on this site! I love it!!! :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5146207)
This is good advice.

I'd caution you also to take everything said here with a grain of salt. Many people who post here are not happy. This a way of relief for many to just vent. For every British Expat on these boards there are probably 1,000 who have never logged on.

I think I mentioned it before--but I should probably repeat after your post--you REALLY need to come at this with an open mind. You can't come in 'looking for the negative' because ('ta-da') you will find it. You're not in the UK anymore, so making comparisons to 'back home' (which will become rosier and rosier and rosier every day you are away) just builds and builds to the point that you have every negative thing you can possibly think of = USA and every thing that is right and perfect in the world = UK.

You won't think back about the time you stepped in dog crap in a park when you are thinking of the UK, but when you do it in the US (and you are already feeling pretty upset about this that and the other thing) it just another example of why the US is so awful. 'God knows dog's don't take a crap in the UK...' Silly, but you get to that point.

If you can't keep an open mind and take it as it comes, then you really should sit down (now) with the hubby and talk through this. Perhaps coming to some understandings now will be a lot better than when you do so after 3 months of staring at the walls in Chicago.

I really get what you're saying Penguinsix. It makes alot of sense. I am by nature quite a negative person. The glass is half empty etc etc. But in this case i am determined to look at it as an opportunity. One that doesn't come around every day. And hey! there's always the happy bods on BE to run to if i start feeling a bit iffy!!!:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5146343)
Hey Keira, I wanted to ask about the Northants thing too. I went to Nene College, as it was way back then :p , lived in Kingsthorpe and Kingsthorpe Village, then ended up working in that shithole Corby. :D :lol:

I live near Wellingborough. Not that far from Corby really. (I've got to agree with you about the shithole bit, unfortunately!) My sister went to Nene College too! What a small world hey?

Originally Posted by ali_j (Post 5146369)
You only live once --- go for it! If it's pants, then you can go home again. For what it's worth, right now I don't think it's pants. I think it's worked out for us (touch wood), and I"m glad we did make that move (I had to quit my career -- I was previously the major wage earner -- as I was a H4) but, had I been allowed to work, I think the previous 4 years would have been easier. I've been very very low at times. But I've also had some amazing adventures, and I think that as a family we are much better off in terms of the time we have with each other, and the the lifestyle. (we now have Green Cards & I am able to work).

Just remember that it IS a foreign country, quite, quite foreign, and expect the differences, even though we speak the same language (well, that's a whole other post, actually, not sure how similar the language actually is).

As wife of an L1, you'll not be so cut off and powerless as you'll be able to get your EAD.

Chicago was recently described to me, just a month ago, (by a Serbian man serving me a Mojito in a bar in the island of Skiathos, Greece, and wanting to move to Chicago) as the most European city in the US.
He'd never been, but that is what people he knew who lived there said ... erm... so I'm sure it's reliable advice!!

You only live once - let us know how it turns out!

Thankyou!! I like a good positive viewpoint! IT's sooo uplifting! I'm slowly learning to be more optimistic!

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 5147622)
From what others have said, it looks like you'll be able to work, plus you will be able to drive and to get a mortgage (been there, done that).

Are you and hubby looking at this as emigration (permanent), a short-term adventure, or wait-and-see? Have you sold your UK house? Are you planning to cut financial ties with the UK (closing bank accounts, etc.)?

If you are nervouse about the move, welcome to the club, everyone (just about) has gone through the last minute nerves, first year honeymoon, maybe second year homesickness, I'm sure there will be times you'll feel like you are on a rollercoaster. Anticipating that fact will help you to cope with it.

And if you are truly worried that you may hate it there and feel trapped, as others have said, keep your options open. DEFINITELY keep at least one UK bank account open, and consider opening a foreign currency account in the UK. If you haven't sold your UK house, then don't do so until you've had the chance to settle in the US and get a feeling for whether you might come back. There's plenty (me included) who have come back from the US and Oz and been stung by the rise in UK house prices during our time away. Also, if you have sold your UK house, consider registering as a voter and changing your address to a parent's, sibling's or good friend's address. It can help with some things if you maintain an address in the UK.

Start off looking at it as a short-term adventure, then you'll feel like you have an escape clause. Then if you end up loving every minute of it and want to stay, you can adapt your plans and outlook at that point.

Good luck - and as somene else said, remember you can always come back to the UK!

Wise words indeed! We are looking at it as 4 years to start with, and then take it as it comes. My husband is making sure he keeps all his UK benefits (ie pension etc) so we don't completely lose our UK identities.
Thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5147931)

Near Wellingborough,, don;t want to post exact location for obvious reasons. Didn't grow up here though. Have lived all over the place! Quite a traveller me!!

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone who posted. You are all a valuable source of comfort and information! I am formally making each and every one of you my new best friends!!! Thankyoooo!:D

Regards Keira xx

britvic Aug 4th 2007 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5148983)
We live in a village near Wellingborough. Thankyou!

I have thought about it plenty. I am going to look at it as a big adventure. I appreciate your thoughts. :D

Thankyou. Gosh everyone is so helpful and understanding on this site! I love it!!! :thumbsup:

I really get what you're saying Penguinsix. It makes alot of sense. I am by nature quite a negative person. The glass is half empty etc etc. But in this case i am determined to look at it as an opportunity. One that doesn't come around every day. And hey! there's always the happy bods on BE to run to if i start feeling a bit iffy!!!:thumbsup:

I live near Wellingborough. Not that far from Corby really. (I've got to agree with you about the shithole bit, unfortunately!) My sister went to Nene College too! What a small world hey?

Thankyou!! I like a good positive viewpoint! IT's sooo uplifting! I'm slowly learning to be more optimistic!

Wise words indeed! We are looking at it as 4 years to start with, and then take it as it comes. My husband is making sure he keeps all his UK benefits (ie pension etc) so we don't completely lose our UK identities.
Thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

Near Wellingborough,, don;t want to post exact location for obvious reasons. Didn't grow up here though. Have lived all over the place! Quite a traveller me!!

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone who posted. You are all a valuable source of comfort and information! I am formally making each and every one of you my new best friends!!! Thankyoooo!:D

Regards Keira xx

Thats where we are going Wellingborough :)

Manc Aug 4th 2007 9:41 pm

Give it a few weeks and we'll rip you a new asshole for something or other.

USBound Aug 4th 2007 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5149056)
Give it a few weeks and me or ray will rip you a new asshole for something or other.

fixed that up for ya.

Ray Aug 4th 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 5149115)
fixed that up for ya.

Hey ....I'm mr nice guy here.....

Maz Aug 5th 2007 1:09 am

Regards Keira xx

She wouldn't happen to have done the first European Business Studies course there in 1986 would she? :eek: That would be too spooky!

And you are more than welcome. :wub:

Maz Aug 5th 2007 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5149227)
Hey ....I'm mr nice guy here.....

*cough!* *splutter!* :lol:

(I'm kidding Ray :p :wub:)

Sally Aug 5th 2007 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5149560)
*cough!* *splutter!* :lol:

what are you gagging on? :eek:

Maz Aug 5th 2007 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5149567)
what are you gagging on? :eek:

Nothing rude. :p Just the irony. :D