British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Okay...Reality check time... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/okay-reality-check-time-471335/)

keira-2007 Aug 3rd 2007 9:11 pm

Re: Okay...Reality check time...

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5145418)
There's no denying Chicago is cold in the winter.

On the upside, you're moving to one of the better places in the country. Chicago itself has a vibrant diverse community. You will be allowed to drive, and you should be able to get permission to work (after those five pounds of paperwork are done and dusted) as the wife of an L-1.

If you own a home in the UK and have equity in that home, you may be able to make a hefty down payment on a house here, and housing costs are far less than in the UK. If your mortgage total is low, having a higher rate isn't going to hurt as much, and paying that mortgage will raise your credit score.

You will be able to drive and in fact will have to do so if you live in the 'burbs.

How have you coped with change in the past? That may be the best predictor of your future.

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5145468)
Keira, you sound as if you really enjoy your life in the UK -- would you move if it weren't for your husband's job?

This is a dilemma faced by people the world over and what's "best" for one spouse can come at the expense of the other.

If you are truly happy where you are, and don't handle change well, I'd sit down and talk to your husband about it. If you don't feel you either want a challenge, or don't need to move.... then I think you will regret it.

Thanks Snowbunny.
To be honest I really like the idea of relocating. Or I think I do. I'm not one of those people who craves company. I'll be fine apart from family and friends etc. i'm quite happy in my own company. I rarely feel lonely.
I take great pride in my house, husband and daughter. They are what matter to me. My husbands job is obviously very important - it has got us to the great position we are in today. I wouldn't want him to leave it on my account. I've been reading so many posts about how things haven't turned out how they expected them to that I;ve just got cold feet, thats all. My husbands company are providing him with an excellent relocation package so I'm sure things will run fairly smoothly.:blink:
I'm a very impulsive person though. What i think is a great idea today may become a mistake tomorrow. This is SUCH a big change though, that once done it will be very hard to return.
Thanks for all your advice though.
This site has taught me sooo much.
:thumbsup:

snowbunny Aug 3rd 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5145550)
I'm a very impulsive person though. What i think is a great idea today may become a mistake tomorrow. This is SUCH a big change though, that once done it will be very hard to return.

Try to keep as many options for returning open.... you never know. If (heaven forbid) something happened to your husband, or to your marriage, you may well need to return. There are folks here who can advise you on this; I am American and my husband's Dutch so while I can tell you how to keep a Dutch bank account active, I'm not any help on the UK side!

Forget everything you have learned from movies/telly etc. Think of it this way: the average American thinks Britain is some sort of quaint and cool place as described by Beatrix Potter, Jane Austen, Harry Potter and Bridget Jones' Diary. Now, how far is that from the truth?! I'd recommend they watch The Full Monty to get a more realistic view of what working (and unemployed) life is like.

dmleach Aug 3rd 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Keira,

Your post has interested my lots as I feel exactly the same as you. I was so excited when I heard of my hubbies work then I have researched a lot more and although I have seen so many positives it is difficult to forget all the negative repsonses to spouses lives in the US. Don't forget you can always come back to Blighty where as you might not get the opportunity to go the US again. That is how I see it anyway !

Chin-up !

Deborah:lol::):thumbsup:

Redlippie Aug 3rd 2007 9:24 pm

You'll get an L2 and be able to work if you so desire :)

keira-2007 Aug 3rd 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dmleach (Post 5145599)
Hi Keira,

Your post has interested my lots as I feel exactly the same as you. I was so excited when I heard of my hubbies work then I have researched a lot more and although I have seen so many positives it is difficult to forget all the negative repsonses to spouses lives in the US. Don't forget you can always come back to Blighty where as you might not get the opportunity to go the US again. That is how I see it anyway !

Chin-up !

Deborah:lol::):thumbsup:

Hi Deborah

Thats a good attitude to have. There's no point regretting the things you have done, its the things you haven't done that you will regret the most.
Whereabouts are you relocating to? And how far along the process are you? We can be US bound-virgins together!!:lol:

southern comfort Aug 3rd 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5144987)
THE DREAM: So when hubbie announced we were relocating to the US, the initial reaction was "Great! Big house, better weather, wide open spaces, cute accents, being cool coz we have a different accent, Hollywood He-men built to serve and protect, blah blah blah..."

A couple of weeks later and reality finally dawns. (With a little help from the BE faithful!)

THE REALITY: No chance of mortgage due to zero credit score, stories of -20 winter temperatures endlessly circulating the cyber-highway, mountains of form-filling and identity struggles looming ominously, the terrifying knowledge of the US health service (or lack of it) raising my blood pressure, knowing that once we're over the pond i won't be able to work, and now worrying myself sick that someones gonna tell me i won't even be able to drive either!! (Please don't anybody tell me I won't be able to drive...that would be a final nail in the Yankee Coffin>) If I can't take my daughter to school and pick her up at the end of the day, I may as well go and lick the end of a live plug socket. (But now I'm burdened with the knowledge that the US electricity supply is as weak as cold tea!)

Is it normal to feel like this, when only last week I was over the moon about it all. There really is no American Dream is there? I'm really worried that I personally (not my hubbie, coz his job is so good) may be far, far better off in the UK. At present I don't have to work, we have a nice big house, I've got my own BMW which I drive my daughter to school in, and I can do pretty much anything I want. Come on, this is not going to be possible in the great US of A is it????

Shit...:ohmy:

OK serious ? sounds like you have it all together already, the big house ,the BMW, and can do anything you want.........so why are you giving all that up ? and what do you expect to gain from the move ?:confused:

keira-2007 Aug 3rd 2007 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 5145733)
OK serious ? sounds like you have it all together already, the big house ,the BMW, and can do anything you want.........so why are you giving all that up ? and what do you expect to gain from the move ?:confused:

Hubbies work! He doesn't want to refuse - too good an offer. And the idea sounds lovely. I visited America when I was 13 and I loved it - alright I was easily impressed, but it always stayed with me. It's probably a case of the grass is always greener...and all that.

Bill_S Aug 3rd 2007 10:01 pm

THE REALITY: No chance of mortgage due to zero credit score, stories of -20 winter temperatures endlessly circulating the cyber-highway, mountains of form-filling and identity struggles looming ominously, the terrifying knowledge of the US health service (or lack of it) raising my blood pressure, knowing that once we're over the pond i won't be able to work, and now worrying myself sick that someones gonna tell me i won't even be able to drive either!! (Please don't anybody tell me I won't be able to drive...that would be a final nail in the Yankee Coffin>) If I can't take my daughter to school and pick her up at the end of the day, I may as well go and lick the end of a live plug socket. (But now I'm burdened with the knowledge that the US electricity supply is as weak as cold tea!)

Sounds like you've received some bad advice somewhere. If your husband is on an L1 visa, you will be able to apply for an Employment Authorization Document that will allow you to work. You will be able to get an Illinois driver's licence. You will be able to get a mortgage, many thousands of immigrants have done so. If your husband works for a major company the health care plan might be extremely good. Chicago is cold in the winter, yes, but it's wonderful in the spring, summer, and fall.

Maz Aug 3rd 2007 10:03 pm

Keira, it's currently 86F / 30C. No breeze, high humidity. Just so you know. :) But it is festival season! Take a look at this site to see what's on around the area. :thumbup:

keira-2007 Aug 3rd 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 5145784)
Sounds like you've received some bad advice somewhere. If your husband is on an L1 visa, you will be able to apply for an Employment Authorization Document that will allow you to work. You will be able to get an Illinois driver's licence. You will be able to get a mortgage, many thousands of immigrants have done so. If your husband works for a major company the health care plan might be extremely good. Chicago is cold in the winter, yes, but it's wonderful in the spring, summer, and fall.

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5145798)
Keira, it's currently 86F / 30C. No breeze, high humidity. Just so you know. :) But it is festival season! Take a look at this site to see what's on around the area. :thumbup:

Thanks Bill. There seem to be so many conflicting views. It gets confusing sometimes. You've cheered me up though!

Maz - hope the weather stays nice for me for when i come over the end of next week!! I'm starting to get nervous now. (If you haven't gathered by now, I'm a wee bit of a worrier!!!) Have fun. xx:thumbsup:

Naomi999 Aug 3rd 2007 11:06 pm

Hi Kiera. Whereabouts in Northants are you from? I grew up in Kettering, just got back from a visit there. I'm sure things seem quite overwhelming now, but just take each day as it comes and you'll do just fine. In a big city like Chicago you'll have tons of social networks to turn too, and having a child in school will be a big plus, lots of other parents to hang out with, school socials etc. Good luck. It will be a big change from Northants, but a good change I'm sure!
Naomi.

Irn-bru Aug 3rd 2007 11:26 pm

If you love your life in the UK and have family and friends close by you personally I wouldn't leave, especially if your OH has a good job there.

If its for a set period of time ie 3 yrs on L1 visa and you can see it as an adventure for a period of time and feel you can be positive about it then great.

I don't know you or if you are just experiencing last minute jitters. If you are a lot of people here seemed to have it.

But if you're not, then if you are seriously not looking forward to it or positive about it and you haven't even moved IMO I don't think its going to get any better on this side.

Hate to be like this but am truly trying to be honest and helpful with you.

This is coming from someone who really likes it here and have found our 'dream' if you want to call it that.
But I was living away from my family and friends for a while anyway which makes being apart here not as hard as someone moving from being 'next door' to family.

Irn-bru Aug 3rd 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 5145873)
Thanks Bill. There seem to be so many conflicting views. It gets confusing sometimes. You've cheered me up though!

Maz - hope the weather stays nice for me for when i come over the end of next week!! I'm starting to get nervous now. (If you haven't gathered by now, I'm a wee bit of a worrier!!!) Have fun. xx:thumbsup:

Sorry just read this after my post, didn't know you had made your mind up and coming so soon :D

I looked at is as a big adventure that occasionally crops up in life and that helped me. Have fun and yes you can get work if you apply to be allowed to.

TruBrit Aug 3rd 2007 11:41 pm

THE DREAM: So when hubbie announced we were relocating to the US, the initial reaction was "Great! Big house, better weather, wide open spaces, cute accents, being cool coz we have a different accent, Hollywood He-men built to serve and protect, blah blah blah..."

A couple of weeks later and reality finally dawns. (With a little help from the BE faithful!)

Is it normal to feel like this, when only last week I was over the moon about it all. There really is no American Dream is there? I'm really worried that I personally (not my hubbie, coz his job is so good) may be far, far better off in the UK. At present I don't have to work, we have a nice big house, I've got my own BMW which I drive my daughter to school in, and I can do pretty much anything I want. Come on, this is not going to be possible in the great US of A is it????

Shit...:ohmy:

nope there isn't although 90% of brits think there is so you're not alone ;)

sounds like you have a pretty good standard of living in the UK, what else could you possibly want? come visit the usa during vacation time :)

TruBrit Aug 3rd 2007 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 5146150)
didn't know you had made your mind up and coming so soon :D

me neither ;)