Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Hi Springy6

Just thought it worth mentioning that there will be a substantial difference for your husband in his 4 times a year trips home from Kabul to Austin (which you say he'll be making), as opposed to the 7 1/2 hr. Kabul to Heathrow (?) flight to which he's been accustomed.
From what I've found online, it looks like the journey to Austin will take 16 1/2 hours - at a bare minimum.

Also - what's now a 3 1/2 hr. time difference (UK/Kabul) will be stretched to
9 1/2 when you move to Texas.
Which probably means the pragmatics of Skype calls for you and your kids (keeping in mind their bedtimes) will be more restricted than in England.

Neither of these factors are a big deal - but they should be kept in mind when assessing what moving to America will entail for all of you.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks! Must be some inside joke going on, or Boiler and Pulaski were pulling my leg or something...oh well, back to regularly scheduled programming. LOL

Rene
Of course it is. Some right-wing types like to joke that we're special enough to merit a continent all of our own. A few wingnuts actually believe it. 99% of us know exactly where we are.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MMcD
Hi Springy6

Just thought it worth mentioning that there will be a substantial difference for your husband in his 4 times a year trips home from Kabul to Austin (which you say he'll be making), as opposed to the 7 1/2 hr. Kabul to Heathrow (?) flight to which he's been accustomed.
From what I've found online, it looks like the journey to Austin will take 16 1/2 hours - at a bare minimum.

Also - what's now a 3 1/2 hr. time difference (UK/Kabul) will be stretched to
9 1/2 when you move to Texas.
Which probably means the pragmatics of Skype calls for you and your kids (keeping in mind their bedtimes) will be more restricted than in England.

Neither of these factors are a big deal - but they should be kept in mind when assessing what moving to America will entail for all of you.
It takes him a day to come home as it is and it is a 4.5 hour difference. We only have Skype calls occasionally and he is often keen to set his alarm specifically to talk at insane hours there is always Friday to Sunday where they can spend their mornings chatting. Where there is a will.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Keeping a house in the UK can lead to problems and frustration if you get a bad tenant or a bad property manager. Also it can turn into an expensive tax situation if you don't sell within three years - if you have owned it for a number of years it could easily run to tens of thousands of dollars.
I only suggested keeping a UK house and renting a US house for the first year or two to be sure they really liked life here before selling up. As it happens they don't own home in the UK so it is completely irrelevant.

Personally, if I had my time again, and knowing what I know now, I would not have sold our UK house.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
When did I ever say I just felt like it aside from that why would I need to justify myself. It makes most economical, personal and practical sense, being paid in US dollars is a big issue when it comes to practical matters. It may not be big, but until he was able to open up a US account we lost a fair amount every month in conversion. We automatically save that if everything is dealt in dollars. He has American colleagues some from many other states NC and TX were the ones recommended for a move. Finally on a personal note yes I want to, I would love to live there. Admittedly my first choice was Australia but that ain't ever going to happen unless I qualify in a job that is of high interest, the US is fascinating, my favourite books are set in the southern states ok in the 19 30's, but still. I find US history fascinating as do I UK's. I am not abandoning my roots and I will miss my family but the world is so big and amazing, life is too short and Texas is my choice (if all goes to plan) for the next few years. The change of lifestyle may be hard at first I get that totally, been looking up national and state holidays and found myself going wow more times than not.

I am open minded, you may not believe it but I am. I am shy yes, but I get there in the end. I am proud every day of all my children and will help them as much as I can to achieve their best. I am hoping that the way the education system works in the state makes my kids realise that they have it easy here and it is not a free ride to leave some things to the last minute.

I am hoping to take my children and explore that vast nation and if that takes until I am 60 plus I will do it. It scares me and excites me. The weather is unpredictable at times and can be down right dangerous, but you can keep safe.

Reality is it will be a big change and upheaval there will be negatives there will be positives. I will have times when I feel lonely I will have times when I will feel loved. There will be months when money is tighter and months when it is not but with a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food in our bellies, educated happy well mannered playful children (as they are children) then it should not matter where it is, but if you have that little bit more room to breath then it is just that bit more special and appealing.

This has turned a bit theatrical apologies.
I would say "poetic".

The funny thing is I am one of the most "pro US" regulars on BE, but I don't pull punches, and I am sorry but in your case I don't see an overall benefit to you relocating you family to the US, I just don't. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by london_calling
Of course it is. Some right-wing types like to joke that we're special enough to merit a continent all of our own. A few wingnuts actually believe it. 99% of us know exactly where we are.
Even in the Graunidad, whose credentials I doubt you would argue with I have often seen reference to Europe as being over there.

As an aside it is a bit amusing when you consider that America can refer to one or two continents as well as a Country. Guess it follows French or German precedence.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

I would say "poetic".

The funny thing is I am one of the most "pro US" regulars on BE, but I don't pull punches, and I am sorry but in your case I don't see an overall benefit to you relocating you family to the US, I just don't. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for the luck, no benefit staying here either. So why not have some amazing times spider proofing the house and experiencing a different culture in the meantime. What ever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

My Parents could have moved over with work when I was about 10, they did not and I am not sure I fully understood the reasons, but I say go for it.

I think there is a tendency for many of us to remember the good bits and forget the bad bits.

I would do a recce.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
..... [some] of us know exactly where we are.
Under the thumb of Brussels.

Rather more than 1% of the population of the UK think that there is too much interference in domestic matters by Eurocrats in Brussels.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 6th 2015 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
My Parents could have moved over with work when I was about 10, they did not and I am not sure I fully understood the reasons, but I say go for it.

I think there is a tendency for many of us to remember the good bits and forget the bad bits.

I would do a recce.
Recce? Sorry getting late now if this is obvious shoot me
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Short for Reconnaissance.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Short for Reconnaissance.
OK cheers. Husband is looking into it
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
It takes him a day to come home as it is and it is a 4.5 hour difference.
According to several Google links....it's 3 1/2 hour difference now with Daylight Savings Time, as I said, and 9 1/2 hr. difference with Austin.
Scroll down to see both cities:

The World Clock - Time Zone difference from Afghanistan – Kabul

In any case - this is of lesser importance than other issues and hurdles. But with your feistiness and determination - hopefully it will work out well for you.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Under the thumb of Brussels.

Rather more than 1% of the population of the UK think that there is too much interference in domestic matters by Eurocrats in Brussels.
If you choose to conflate 'Europe' with the EU then you are moronic. Are the Swiss entitled to their own continent as well?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMcD
According to several Google links....it's 3 1/2 hour difference now with Daylight Savings Time, as I said, and 9 1/2 hr. difference with Austin.
Scroll down to see both cities:

The World Clock - Time Zone difference from Afghanistan – Kabul

In any case - this is of lesser importance than other issues and hurdles. But with your feistiness and determination - hopefully it will work out well for you.
Ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.