Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Originally Posted by stockhall
It certainly feels like most of you are saying don't move to texas.
The gist I get from the thread is that the general idea is "don't move to the USA" rather than "don't move to Texas".

Life is an adventure, for sure...If you were single, or just your and your husband, or even had one young child, I'd say go for it and see how it goes. But your family is so big, with older children, I am almost with the others, that this seems like a huge jump. But then again, I don't speak from experience.

My husband is Iranian. He and I met while he was working in Istanbul and I was on a vacation there. After many years of getting to know one another, he immigrated to the USA on a fiancé visa via marriage to me. He's been here 11 years now, is a USC, and we are happily married....but he still experiences the culture shock sometimes. There are things he likes about the USA, and things he doesn't. At the moment his biggest problem is that he's got elderly parents in Iran and has to make lengthy trips there to help care for them. He's there right now, and it's a strain on both of us, in addition to his business (he's self-employed). I'm just saying, even for 2 people, no children, there are issues and strain in our daily lives. With a family your size, with such a big move to a new country and new culture, it will be even more strain.

That said, my husband never regrets the move to the USA....but it's not a bed of roses, either.

Rene
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have not seen a case with such little sign of a reason or purpose for relocating to the US. All I have gleaned is "because we can".
Errr....that's the reason we did it.

Admittedly we only came over with 2 kids in tow but we started from scratch, not with jobs or companies paying for accommodation either.

And yes I know it was 26 years ago but it was tough then, but we made it.

It takes a lot of gumption and hard work but it can be done. I know the OP said her husband will be traveling a lot, I do hope he can spend time to help her settle in and be there for moral support. I know that is one of the reasons we managed against all the odds, we supported each other.

Good luck Stokhall
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The gist I get from the thread is that the general idea is "don't move to the USA" rather than "don't move to Texas".

Life is an adventure, for sure...If you were single, or just your and your husband, or even had one young child, I'd say go for it and see how it goes. But your family is so big, with older children, I am almost with the others, that this seems like a huge jump. But then again, I don't speak from experience.

My husband is Iranian. He and I met while he was working in Istanbul and I was on a vacation there. After many years of getting to know one another, he immigrated to the USA on a fiancé visa via marriage to me. He's been here 11 years now, is a USC, and we are happily married....but he still experiences the culture shock sometimes. There are things he likes about the USA, and things he doesn't. At the moment his biggest problem is that he's got elderly parents in Iran and has to make lengthy trips there to help care for them. He's there right now, and it's a strain on both of us, in addition to his business (he's self-employed). I'm just saying, even for 2 people, no children, there are issues and strain in our daily lives. With a family your size, with such a big move to a new country and new culture, it will be even more strain.

That said, my husband never regrets the move to the USA....but it's not a bed of roses, either.

Rene
Thank you for the reply.

Of course it would be ideal with just me and husband but we struggled for many of our married years with money where I did work and it is only recently we have firmly landed on our feet financially where we can take this opportunity. If I was coming from an Asian country or Europe even I would understand the difficulties in the different cultures more.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Errr....that's the reason we did it.

Admittedly we only came over with 2 kids in tow but we started from scratch, not with jobs or companies paying for accommodation either.

And yes I know it was 26 years ago but it was tough then, but we made it.

It takes a lot of gumption and hard work but it can be done. I know the OP said her husband will be traveling a lot, I do hope he can spend time to help her settle in and be there for moral support. I know that is one of the reasons we managed against all the odds, we supported each other.

Good luck Stokhall
Thank you so much. I am not afraid of hard work at all. Husband will not have much time about 2 weeks max, but he will come back every 3 months. It sounds hard but it is not as bad as all that being on your own most of the year. One day he will get a post actually on the mainland and he will see his children growing up and be successful dual citizens.

X
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

6 kids definitely increases the chance of one of them being unhappy!
I don't know about Pflugerville but where my kids go to school, there are huge numbers of kids with at least parents who were immigrants even if the kids were born here (and a lot weren't). At the graduation ceremony yesterday, the top 10 kids were all Asian. Top 2 were chinese names. Lots of French families (of course we know this), germans, eastern europeans, hispanic names in my daughter's year. Third culture kids make friends easily with other 3rd culture kids (there's a great TED talk about this). Our experience here is one of acceptance and friendship. I wouldn't go to hicksville, west texas and expect the same.

Pfulgerville, Round Rock and in particular Georgetown (just a few miles up the road) are massively growing towns (I think Georgetown is the fastest growing town in the US). Dell and Samsung are based there along with loads of other tech companies so I would imagine the schools are going to have lots of immigrants. Stockhall, talk to the school about this?

Medical bills and college bills are not to be ignored. Even with our really good insurances, we spent $10k on medical stuff last year in addition to the premiums. This year should be better (Oh dear, it's only June and I really shouldn't tempt fate...)

$190k is a good salary and I'm sure that with 6 kids you are already used to being careful with money - and you'll need to carry on being careful. That salary will (probably) mean you get no needs-based financial assistance for college even with 6 kids. With a green card in hand, the kids will be regarded as international students in the UK, so that option becomes expensive too.

I reckon that the success of free community college in Tennessee may mean it gets rolled out in other states and Texas is a prime candidate, so that may be something to keep an eye on, but not to rely on!

I'm going to post a thread about germany and international students, which may be of interest.

If you take a look at the France part of BE you'll see that a lot of the advice given to people who want to move there is negative too. But I know a lot of people who have moved there and love it - whether they learn to speak french or not. I know a lot of people who got fed up with some things and left (like us) but I wasn't unhappy there and neither were my kids. I know a lot of people who have moved here and love it too.

I think Stockhall will be fine here and with the attitude she has, then her kids may well flourish too. 6 kids in a British sized house??? Yikes. They'll love their enormous Texan one! (don't get me started on electricity bills for the air conditioning though!! I think after living in Scotland I just have a huge resentment to having to PAY for cold air.....)

PM me if I can help at all.

Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

I am trying so so hard not to be emotional and over defensive. But my restraint is waining amidst what feels a little like bullying just due to my family situation. We deserve this so much you would never comprehend.

I have taken on all the words of wisdom and ignored some of the unfounded criticism and some things have really stuck and I will follow through.

I don't want to appear ungrateful and I have listened to everything said.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply.

Of course it would be ideal with just me and husband but we struggled for many of our married years with money where I did work and it is only recently we have firmly landed on our feet financially where we can take this opportunity. If I was coming from an Asian country or Europe even I would understand the difficulties in the different cultures more.
I'm afraid your last sentence has me concerned.

A very wise Australian lady said to me just after we arrived here...that she thought it would have been easier to settle if English wasn't the preferred language. Oh how right she was! Make no mistake US culture is nothing like the UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 6th 2015 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I've only visited TX so can't give you any feedback on best areas etc. although I have heard many times that Austin is a great part of TX. Things that struck me when I visited was the intense heat, the fact that lots of men really do wear cowboy hats and boots daily and also that the people were very friendly. It is mind blowing how much house you can get for your money in some areas so I can see how that is very attractive.

Financially you have a great income so as long as you also have really good medical insurance I think you will be fine and will find your costs are much the same as in the UK (because it really is swings and roundabouts some things cost more some less) with the exception being that you will get a much bigger house.

You are very lucky because your husband's job does not tie you to a particular area and for that reason I believe, like others here, that you would not regret making a trip over first. Why not make a visit as a family (perhaps bring a friend, family member or paid temporary nanny to help if your husband can't join you) and spend a few weeks over the summer visiting TX and several other states to see where you like best. It would be money very well spent and you could mix it in with loads of fun vacation days for the kids too. You mentioned you have always wanted to visit the USA so either you have a wonderful trip that saves you from making a move you regret OR you come back knowing exactly which state and area you want to move to which will make the big move go much more smoothly.

The other thing I wish someone had recommended to me when we moved here (20 years ago) is to have an exit plan. If I had my time again I would have kept our UK house and rented here for a year or two first so we really knew what life was like here before fully committing. Like you I told myself "we'll just move back if we don't like it" but you'll be surprised how difficult that can be to do, especially when you have kids in school and once you step off the UK property ladder

Loads of Brits absolutely love it in the US and have no regrets about making the move so maybe you and your family will be like that. I'm not saying don't move but I do say be cautious, visit first and have an exit plan in place.

I think you have your heart set on the US but if the main thing you want is more house for your money it might be worth also looking at areas in the UK like Lincolnshire and Norfolk.

Good luck!
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
6 kids definitely increases the chance of one of them being unhappy!
I don't know about Pflugerville but where my kids go to school, there are huge numbers of kids with at least parents who were immigrants even if the kids were born here (and a lot weren't). At the graduation ceremony yesterday, the top 10 kids were all Asian. Top 2 were chinese names. Lots of French families (of course we know this), germans, eastern europeans, hispanic names in my daughter's year. Third culture kids make friends easily with other 3rd culture kids (there's a great TED talk about this). Our experience here is one of acceptance and friendship. I wouldn't go to hicksville, west texas and expect the same.

Pfulgerville, Round Rock and in particular Georgetown (just a few miles up the road) are massively growing towns (I think Georgetown is the fastest growing town in the US). Dell and Samsung are based there along with loads of other tech companies so I would imagine the schools are going to have lots of immigrants. Stockhall, talk to the school about this?

Medical bills and college bills are not to be ignored. Even with our really good insurances, we spent $10k on medical stuff last year in addition to the premiums. This year should be better (Oh dear, it's only June and I really shouldn't tempt fate...)

$190k is a good salary and I'm sure that with 6 kids you are already used to being careful with money - and you'll need to carry on being careful. That salary will (probably) mean you get no needs-based financial assistance for college even with 6 kids. With a green card in hand, the kids will be regarded as international students in the UK, so that option becomes expensive too.

I reckon that the success of free community college in Tennessee may mean it gets rolled out in other states and Texas is a prime candidate, so that may be something to keep an eye on, but not to rely on!

I'm going to post a thread about germany and international students, which may be of interest.

If you take a look at the France part of BE you'll see that a lot of the advice given to people who want to move there is negative too. But I know a lot of people who have moved there and love it - whether they learn to speak french or not. I know a lot of people who got fed up with some things and left (like us) but I wasn't unhappy there and neither were my kids. I know a lot of people who have moved here and love it too.

I think Stockhall will be fine here and with the attitude she has, then her kids may well flourish too. 6 kids in a British sized house??? Yikes. They'll love their enormous Texan one! (don't get me started on electricity bills for the air conditioning though!! I think after living in Scotland I just have a huge resentment to having to PAY for cold air.....)

PM me if I can help at all.

You made me cry petitefrancaise thank you for seeing 'me' through all these posts. I have been forewarned of air conditioning costs, that said I have so much electricity usage here with the dishwasher, tumble dryer, cooker, fridge freezer(s) and lawn mower (50 foot lawn) on nearly all the time and so not dry enough here to forego the tumble yet. My kids don't like wearing clothes indoors so hopefully I can compensate for a few dollars do people hang their washing out? Every house seems to have a tumble.

I am definitely not taking medical bills lightly and will make sure there is always a pot for that. College, well number two may be better off as an intern in a gaming software firm as that is where his heart is, you can find the right situation somewhere. My eldest unfortunately probably won't get enough points in her finals for high level college, but we will see. I really hope that she does and two years should be enough to start her off well for a couple of years. She wants to go into character design in animation so she may get an internship too.

I am resilient, my kids are amazing and cheeky and keep me sane.

Cheers
Old Jun 6th 2015, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much. I am not afraid of hard work at all. Husband will not have much time about 2 weeks max, but he will come back every 3 months. It sounds hard but it is not as bad as all that being on your own most of the year. One day he will get a post actually on the mainland and he will see his children growing up and be successful dual citizens.

X
Good luck to you all.

One of my first hurdles to overcome was to learn to drive and pass the test. I didn't drive in the UK and soon realized there was no way I could survive here without a license . I have to say it was one of the easier hurdles! The test,both written and driving were simple and once I had the license then my confidence immediately kicked in.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NiHao
I've only visited TX so can't give you any feedback on best areas etc. although I have heard many times that Austin is a great part of TX. Things that struck me when I visited was the intense heat, the fact that lots of men really do wear cowboy hats and boots daily and also that the people were very friendly. It is mind blowing how much house you can get for your money in some areas so I can see how that is very attractive.

Financially you have a great income so as long as you also have really good medical insurance I think you will be fine and will find your costs are much the same as in the UK (because it really is swings and roundabouts some things cost more some less) with the exception being that you will get a much bigger house.

You are very lucky because your husband's job does not tie you to a particular area and for that reason I believe, like others here, that you would not regret making a trip over first. Why not make a visit as a family (perhaps bring a friend, family member or paid temporary nanny to help if your husband can't join you) and spend a few weeks over the summer visiting TX and several other states to see where you like best. It would be money very well spent and you could mix it in with loads of fun vacation days for the kids too. You mentioned you have always wanted to visit the USA so either you have a wonderful trip that saves you from making a move you regret OR you come back knowing exactly which state and area you want to move to which will make the big move go much more smoothly.

The other thing I wish someone had recommended to me when we moved here (20 years ago) is to have an exit plan. If I had my time again I would have kept our UK house and rented here for a year or two first so we really knew what life was like here before fully committing. Like you I told myself "we'll just move back if we don't like it" but you'll be surprised how difficult that can be to do, especially when you have kids in school and once you step off the UK property ladder

Loads of Brits absolutely love it in the US and have no regrets about making the move so maybe you and your family will be like that. I'm not saying don't move but I do say be cautious, visit first and have an exit plan in place.

I think you have your heart set on the US but if the main thing you want is more house for your money it might be worth also looking at areas in the UK like Lincolnshire and Norfolk.

Good luck!
The weather is also a draw. I am getting more and more fed up with the dire weather here that moving to Norfolk (even though it is beautiful with great beaches) wouldn't really change it. I know weather is not the be all and end all but when you can't even go to the village park nearly every weekend for a month it gets a little frustrating. I know we can't afford good areas in california which for weather would be our second choice not to mention better animation opportunities for my daughter.

We are renting here so no property ties so no issues here. Hmm husband is coming back early July and we can't really vacate then due to term time and fierce school attendance rules. My mum has to stay with step dad as he has mild COPD so wouldn't be able to travel without him for long. My sister may be able to not as simple as just upping and going, plus she doesn't drive so it would all be diem to me who has only driven for 16 months.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Good luck to you all.

One of my first hurdles to overcome was to learn to drive and pass the test. I didn't drive in the UK and soon realized there was no way I could survive here without a license . I have to say it was one of the easier hurdles! The test,both written and driving were simple and once I had the license then my confidence immediately kicked in.
One of the things I am not looking forward too I have to say. But I will do it
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Stockall...please remember thousands of Brits live here and enjoy life. 99.9% of them are off enjoying life...not posting on Internet forums.

IMO you have more chance of settling if you are of an easy going/flexible personality. The younger you are the better...say 20's/30's...when you are embarking on your adult life and you are not leaving an established life behind. You need a supportive partner...one that's willing to drop everything and return to the UK if you can't settle. Of course money helps...I can't imagine living here on the breadline. No matter how much money you have...unless it's billions...a serious long term illness can bankrupt you.

Just my opinion.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of posts in a short period.

Salary

OK I never assumed that much and it does beg the question what some BE posters think is adequate, something north of $200,000.

Guns

Bound to be a local gun club you can join, Concealed Carry Permit is not that difficult to get, plenty of discussions on BE about the subject, probably easier than a DL

DL

Obviously very easy to get, test in the US is a joke.

Benefits

Well the Military usually do very nicely so see no reason why this would be an issue.

Main issue I see is that you have never been for a look.

Mr F alluded to it earlier, but from other threads I have seen particular with regards to Iraq, the process of getting the visa is not easy or quick, I am sure there is a lot of demand. So check that out as it may screw up whatever timescale you have in mind.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 5:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Even with just 3 kids I absolutely LOVE my enormous US washing machine and dryer. I used to have to do at least one load a day in France, the tumble dryer couldn't keep up and in the winter I always had clothes drying on a clothes dryer in the house.....
You may find that your home owners association here doesn't allow washing to be hung outside to dry. I was shocked at how un-green this was but actually the time saved by just bunging the whole lot in the dryer (dry in 40 mins!) is fab.
We've all been going on about college because you don't get anywhere without a college degree here. Everybody who possibly can sends their kids to college. Internships in software houses are given out to college students, they are highly sought after. UT Austin is a great place to study comp sci and if your son is bright he should look at that.
Your kids sound great.

In France, if you have 8 kids you get a "maman de france" medal from the president, and a lifetime allowance (a good one). Apparently they still give out a couple a year....Plenty of people here have large families.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.