Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Cheque

You could get a used Toyota for 30k, then presumably another one for Husband, what is he looking at?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Stockhall, I've moved countries/homes more times than I care to think about - my daughter graduates high school today in the top 10% of her school going on to a prestigious university course, she's been in 3 education systems, 2 languages (1 she couldn't speak a word of when she arrived) and 6/7 schools. If I'd gone in with my eyes truly open I probably wouldn't have done it. Your children take their attitude from you and your husband - listen to the naysayers, acknowledge that their experience is true for them but not necessarily for you. The journey is the point, what you learn along the way and the people you meet, the experiences you have. You will sort out problems, your children will be resilient adults able to meet challenges others would balk at.

Pulaski used to get to me too.......after my first piece of "advice" from him, I vowed never to post on here again. He lambasted me for moving my HS aged child.... but his heart is in the right place!

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for the sensible answer. I need to arrange a bank account to be used there, I can not find out if natwest is convertible, but that is soon on my agenda. I still write cheques for kids clubs so not much learning, although I must remember it is dollars. lol

I have taken on the walking scenario.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

thank you petitefrancaise, wow well done to your daughter, you must be so proud, I may need more advice in the near future indeed, what we are going to do with all our stuff is going to be a conundrum.

Boiler we would probably have 2 cars, think it makes sense, 8 seater would mean we could share driving responsibilities on longer trips.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

found a new 8 seater honda pilot for 30,000, so it would be doable for sure
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
that's good! They are very, very popular around these parts. Can't get a secondhand one for love nor money they sell so quickly.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jun 5th 2015, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Cash or credit?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

on ebay, just browsing
Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

we will pay for what we can afford, we wont do credit except for mortgage
Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A job to go to is good.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

i am a housewife, hubby has the job very good earnings
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

we will pay for what we can afford, we wont do credit except for mortgage
You will, because life around here revolved around your credit history.

No credit history, then deposits for all your utilities, shit rates for everything.

Getting a loan on your car is one of the best ways to build up history. Pay most of it off if you can, but leave a minimum amount for 12 months that you keep paying off.

Natwest, won't be must help, you'll want to open up a local bank, of which I'm sure there are plenty of threads about, and look into using a currency exchange service like xe.com to transfer money.

Walking in the summer heat, sucks, even for a few feet. I walk the kidlette to school and back and it's doable down my way, even in the humidity, but it sucks. You'll have even more heat and probably even worse drivers than we do, well certainly on par, which isn't very good.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

couldn't every utility etc be in his name as the worker? he already gets paid in dollars so transferring shouldn't be an issue there which is one reason we are choosing to move over. why can't you pay cash or card? is this one of those things I need to learn more about?

I wouldn't be able to work with a 2 year old really, plus 14 year may need to continue home schooling (he has promised to give the US school system a try first). I'll just walk in the winter (when we hope to move)
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't every utility etc be in his name as the worker? he already gets paid in dollars so transferring shouldn't be an issue there which is one reason we are choosing to move over. why can't you pay cash or card? is this one of those things I need to learn more about?

I wouldn't be able to work with a 2 year old really, plus 14 year may need to continue home schooling (he has promised to give the US school system a try first). I'll just walk in the winter (when we hope to move)
Does he have a ssn? If not then he won't have a credit history either.

When you sign up for utilities they check your credit history, if you don't have one you will have to put down a hefty deposit.

To open a bank account they check your credit history, if you don't have one they might not even open an account let alone give you a credit card. Check out local banks and credit unions.

You might have a slight advantage being classed as a refugee check out some of the details in the link I pasted on the first page. Also check with your husband's employers (I'm guessing three letter agency or DoD?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.