Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

Old May 29th 2009, 9:55 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold
Default Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

Guys,

So I was thinking, I have read a lot on here and wanted to ask this question of you all.

Having moved to the US, would you in hindsight change anything about it, where you are now in your life,or would you do the same thing again....

You know the choice of location, initial job choice, that sort of thing.

Hope this gets a good response, its a bit different to the norm...
Old May 29th 2009, 10:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

I really don't think I'd have bothered, given 20/20 hindsight.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I dont need to add any more.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Probably we would not have chosen the area we first lived in when we got here, but we were given no choice in the matter as that's where hubby's job was based.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

maybe im a bit sad - but the only thing i would probably change is NOT to have saddled ourselves with a lease car. Otherwise we did good.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't tell your fiancee that.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Please don't tell your fiancee that.
Why not my husband knows only too well
Old May 29th 2009, 10:50 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...tricky one but only because it was always my OH's dream to work in America so when a job came up he looked at me with eyes that were lit up with excitement asking me if we could go for it...how in the hell could I say no and dash his dreams..

now many years down the line OH has been sent back to the UK with work, (I'm stuck here waiting for DD to finish her school year and for the bloody house to sell) and he tells me that he's realised that he's 5 years behind the European technology in his field...and that all the blokes that he trained up many moons ago are now seriously high up in the pecking order and he feels like he's having to start from scratch all over again..

he's not bitter towards the guys, he's still really great friends with them all..I guess its just more about the whole "If I knew then what I know now, I would never have done it" kinda thing..

So the answer to your question is no, if we would have had hindsight we wouldn't have bothered..we would have stayed with working all over Europe having an absolute blast!..
Old May 29th 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would do it all over again... in a heartbeat. I've been in the US just over 11 years now... and they've been the best 11 years of my life. I have no regrets at all.

Ian
Old May 29th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

It was never a dream of mine to live in the US. That being said I needed to get well away from a family situation. I married someone I had seen two weeks out of a little over 2 years and came over here........he turned out to be a bastard.......two kids made me have to stay. So I wish I hadn't come here, but I wish a lot of things had been different too.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:27 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Still in the honeymoon period, we have made tons of mistakes, not least buying a huge house, (compared to our house in the UK) which with 41/2 year old twins is starting to look like Kim and Aggies worst nightmare, I am embarrassed to admit that when I put the boys to bed today their feet where black from filth! I don't have enough hours in the day to keep mopping, and mop heads are costing me a fortune, we go through them so quickly! actually, I possible do have enough hours, but that would mean ignoring them and the garden which we all enjoy! oh and curtains! why oh why didn't I bring them with me?
Old May 30th 2009, 1:34 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa Radion, that's a big question!

Six years down the line, I can look back and say that I would do it all again, and that more importantly my wife probably would too... but there were two or three years when we deeply regretted coming over.

Like lisag8070, I had always wanted to work in the US, and had assumed that it would happen at some stage. In my case work turned out better than I could have hoped for, on the whole.

...it was all the other things, like culture shock, my wife being unable to work, the stress of being on an H1-B and trying to get a Green Card, family health issues back home... the list of things that we weren't prepared for is pretty huge really!

But, as I say, now that we're settled, happy and firmly rooted here in Texas, I'd do it all again.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Everything has worked out pretty well for me and it's all been pretty organic, with one job flowing smoothly into the next, so no, I don't think I would change anything.

I am totally confident that the West Coast is the place to be, so I don't think I would even say maybe I should have tried somewhere else within the US.

Probably my only regret is that I didn't discover Seattle sooner.

I was thinking today that it could be reasonably argued that over the years I maybe haven't given the American ladies the effort that they deserve. I'll be back in California in a few weeks and I promise to do my best to rectify that particular situation.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right for me too.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
Guys,

So I was thinking, I have read a lot on here and wanted to ask this question of you all.

Having moved to the US, would you in hindsight change anything about it, where you are now in your life,or would you do the same thing again....

You know the choice of location, initial job choice, that sort of thing.

Hope this gets a good response, its a bit different to the norm...
Good or Bad, every decision and choice I have made in my life has led me to where I am right now. I'd not undo any of my decisions I've made simply because without them, I wouldn't be who I am today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.