British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/oh-you-have-green-card-please-face-camera-oh-welcome-home-579370/)

surly Jan 23rd 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7205915)
FFS. They could at least do a GC line.

Whenever I came as a tourist, I some how always end up behind Bin Laden saying he's come to work as a belly dancer and have to wait for ages :curse:

What passport do I you have? and what line does a foreign national, resident in the UK go through?
Why do I have to go through the visitors line with an American passport when I was born in the UK?

hobbes79 Jan 23rd 2009 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7206006)
What passport do I you have? and what line does a foreign national, resident in the UK go through?
Why do I have to go through the visitors line with an American passport when I was born in the UK?

Say what now?

surly Jan 23rd 2009 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7206264)
Say what now?

Simplified form, you aint special, just another foreigner.

hobbes79 Jan 24th 2009 1:51 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7206376)
Simplified form, you aint special, just another foreigner.

Much better since I you couldn't find in line with foreign national UK resident passport born Surrey decoder ring

surly Jan 24th 2009 4:22 am

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7206810)
Much better since I you couldn't find in line with foreign national UK resident passport born Surrey decoder ring

Say what now?

jjmb Jan 24th 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7205853)
I bet they've read your posts on BE. :sneaky:

That's crap- so what's the point of going through all that bullsh#t when you get your GC in the first place.

chartreuse Jan 24th 2009 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 7208337)
That's crap- so what's the point of going through all that bullsh#t when you get your GC in the first place.

I entirely agree. As I've said previously, I think its just a bullshit excuse to increase the CBP budget, and we poor LPRs get the short end of the stick.

Brit3964 Jan 26th 2009 6:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I just had a reply from my Senator, Lindsey Graham. It's the usual BS about security etc but he does seem open to the idea that it could be infringing civil liberties. Maybe a change of Government and the fact his party is now the minority might have something to do with it too?

chartreuse Jan 26th 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 7214775)
I just had a reply from my Senator, Lindsey Graham. It's the usual BS about security etc but he does seem open to the idea that it could be infringing civil liberties. Maybe a change of Government and the fact his party is now the minority might have something to do with it too?

It's a slim one, but I'd be very grateful if you followed up on it.

hobbes79 Jan 26th 2009 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 7214775)

"US VISIT" program for Permanent Residents... the name of the program doesn't even make sense :rofl:

notacrime Jan 26th 2009 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7215452)
"US VISIT" program for Permanent Residents... the name of the program doesn't even make sense :rofl:

Right, and in the letter from the Senator it says:

"enables the American government to establish and verify one's identity when visiting the United States."

So maybe it's impossible to abandon PR status since we're all visitors now!

hobbes79 Jan 26th 2009 10:48 pm

The US VISIT website is somewhat amusing too...

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs...rial_0696.shtm

Most Mexican citizens who travel to and from the United States regularly use a multi-use travel document, B1/B2 visa/Border Crossing Card (BCC), also known as a “laser visa,” which serves as either a BCC or a B1/B2 visa. Initially, these Mexican citizens who use the travel document only as a BCC will not be subject to US-VISIT procedures. This is an interim solution for the land border while the Department explores a long-term solution to record the entry and exit of visitors crossing our land border ports of entry.

I'm not trying to be inappropriate, but who would you say poses the biggest immigration risk and is the more likey to try and sneak through on someone elses documents... greencard holders or Mexicans with no US status trying to get over the border?

I love it :blink:

JAJ Jan 27th 2009 1:08 am

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 7215452)

It stands for:

United States Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology

meauxna Jan 27th 2009 1:36 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7215926)
It stands for:

Oh don't go talking sense now, JAJ. They won't be having any interruptions to the outrage. :)

hobbes79 Jan 27th 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7215926)
It stands for:

Interesting... I guess anyone on an H-1B or L-1 work visa doesn't need to give finger prints... since they will be living in the US and are considered non-immigrants by the USCIS.

I wasn't questioning the acronym, just the word used to form it which is somewhat suggestive.

Would be like putting in a system called US TERRORIST:

US Typical Electronic Recording Receptacle Obviously Resisting Immigrants Settling Triumphantly

Though technically correct, the acronym leaves a bad taste in the mouth ;)