Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Observations....

Observations....

Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Observations....

Cold weather is actually quite pleasant.

People smile and say hello and mean it.

Friends we havent seen for two years hugged us and cried.

The roads are small but the drivers wave and let you in and say thank you all the time.

The front doors of the homes I walk past are not 200 feet away...neighbours great each other with a smile and a wave as they head off to work, or shopping or just to chat over the fence.

There are kids playing in the street....and they arent chavs.

The kids in the shops hold doors open for us and are friendly and happy to have a joke with.

Everything is half price almost....a trolley full of shopping at Tescos was £70.
Tank FULL of petrol in my 1 year old car which cost only 8 grand...42 quid and I can drive 400 miles on it. We went out for lunch today to the pub...and had generous and tasty home cooked meals with pints of real, hand pulled ale...pulled by a barman who joked with us and not because he wanted a tip but because he wanted to be friendly. We ate the the meals and drank our drinks sitting in leather armchairs by a cosy fire. They cost £15 for the two of us. Around us others ate and drank and laughed too.

There are crowds of people in the shops but everyone is pretty much polite....shop assistants are genuine and will help you even if you arent spending huge amounts of money.

My work colleagues are genuine and friendly...we went for a drink after work and laughed at small jokes....the pub was packed with friends out having fun.

People talk to people, and care about each other.

My daughter met friends she hasnt seen in two years....and they have been inseperable...she is so happy.

Great Britain beat Australia at Rugby again.

There are Union Flags and St George Crosses flying from cars and shops and homes and even the council lorries.

The papers tell me the country is going to the dogs yet everyone seems happy.

We are home.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Nov 4th 2006 at 10:25 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:31 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Observations....

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

The roads are small but the drivers wave and let you in and say thank you all the time.

The front doors of the homes I walk past are not 200 feet away...neighbours great each other with a smile and a wave as they head off to work, or shopping or just to chat over the fence.

The kids in the shops hold doors open for us and are friendly and happy to have a joke with.

Everything is half price almost....a trolley full of shopping at Tescos was £70.
Tank FULL of petrol in my 1 year old car which cost only 8 grand...42 quid and I can drive 400 miles on it. We went out for lunch today to the pub...and had generous and tasty home cooked meals with pints of real, hand pulled ale...pulled by a barman who joked with us and not because he wanted a tip but because he wanted to be friendly. We ate the the meals and drank our drinks sitting in leather armchairs by a cosy fire. They cost £15 for the two of us. Around us others ate and drank and laughed too.

There are crowds of people in the shops but everyone is pretty much polite....shop assistants are genuine and will help you even if you arent spending huge amounts of money.

My work colleagues are genuine and friendly...we went for a drink after work and laughed at small jokes....the pub was packed with friends out having fun.

My daughter met friends she hasnt seen in two years....and they have been inseperable...she is so happy.

There are Union Flags and St George Crosses flying from cars and shops and homes and even the council lorries.

We are home.

I'm really glad that you're happy and so wish that I could say "I'm home". They always say that home is where the heart is, well my heart is torn between two places so it's tough to know how to feel.
Did you have the job and the home lined up before you went back? It all seems to have happened so quickly for you. Either that or you are extremely organized and on the ball! Congrats.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad it's going well AWP
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it still sounds like home, thankyou for sharing AWP brought a tear to my eye.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blaze
I'm really glad that you're happy and so wish that I could say "I'm home". They always say that home is where the heart is, well my heart is torn between two places so it's tough to know how to feel.
Did you have the job and the home lined up before you went back? It all seems to have happened so quickly for you. Either that or you are extremely organized and on the ball! Congrats.
We bought the house in 5 weeks (closed 3 days before we flew back...this I do not recommend) and I applied to get my job back a couple of months ago so I started the monday after we got back.

It's been a whirlwind to say the least, and we are very tired. But over all happy. It all seems kind of surreal still.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:46 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased that it has all worked out for you and your family.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:52 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Are yes normality as we know it, I had fogotten the simple things in life that we take for granted.
You have made me homesick now.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:52 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

We are home.
Whatever.............
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
Whatever.............
Dont be nasty
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You know $140 is not double £70

Anyway, sounds like you're doing fine...
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see it's all working out mate
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:58 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are home.
OMG AWP - are you sure you're in the UK? the flags are probably left over from the world cup and nobodys been arsed to take them down

well glad to hear you're loving it .... home is where the heart is (to use a sad cliche) but its true and you obviously are where you are happiest

does this mean you're just white pyjamas without the angry now??
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Terrier
Whatever.............
Bitter? Never mind. I'm sure you too will find happiness one day.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:59 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britvic
Dont be nasty
I'm not trying to be nasty, but come on talk about rose tinted glasses. The guy's been there a few days and it's the best place ever? Let's hear how great it is when he get's the shit kicked out of him on a Saturday night and all he has to defend himself with is a stick and some spray.

Yeah he likes it over there, great, hope all works out for him, but rose tinted I think.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by islandmom
OMG AWP - are you sure you're in the UK? the flags are probably left over from the world cup and nobodys been arsed to take them down

well glad to hear you're loving it .... home is where the heart is (to use a sad cliche) but its true and you obviously are where you are happiest

does this mean you're just white pyjamas without the angry now??

Yes....I'm more a Mellow White Pyjamas now. Although I did get slightly testy at the football today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.