Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obama's Executive Order

Obama's Executive Order

Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:14 am
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama's Executive Order

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes, the term 'net benefit' doesn't give the whole story...

And regarding 'jobs that Americans won't do'.

I believe Americans have done and continue to do some of the most difficult, dangerous, complex jobs in the world. However if there are seasonal requirements that are difficult to fill then visas can be issued.

Perhaps the issue is that the money on offer isn't enough to live on for some of these jobs.

I remember getting a quote for stucco on our house.
One business, licensed, bonded, insured, legal workers. $40,000
Other 'business' unlicensed, illegal workforce etc...$12,000

Healthy competition?
What happens to unemployment benefits if an unemployed american doesn't want to take the kind of job the illegals are doing?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
There are a few examples closer to what johnny is proposing. Such as the forced expulsion of all Germans from Eastern Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary, as agreed by the Allies in the Potsdam agreement. This included areas that had been part of 'core Germany' for centuries. Koningsberg for example, Immanuel Kant's home town, became Kaliningrad, re-populated with Russians.

The policy was of course highly successful. Russia gained a valuable buffer against the West, and a previously ethnically unstable part of Europe was de-balkanized in one go. History has been mostly silent about the fate of the displaced Germans.
Those expulsions killed somewhere between 500,000 and 1.5m people (mostly women and children) through ill treatment, starvation and disease.

I don't know that I would want to say they were highly successful. For one thing the postwar stability was made possible by the lengthy occupation of and rehabilitation of Germany and the continuing presence of German minorities did not destabilize Italy, Romania, Hungary or Russia. The whole thing was a pretty shameful episode and should not have been allowed to happen.

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
How about this for an immigration bill.

Deportation of all illegals currently in United States
It sounds reasonable on the face of it but when you look at the numbers it turns out it's completely insane

There's about 11.5m illegal immigrants in the US. Deporting these illegals - according to data from the department of homeland security - would costs $239bn over five years. According to some projections the removal of these immigrants would reduce economic growth by around $250bn a year. Needless to say you would need to set up a massive police state style apparatus to track down all those people.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Nov 24th 2014 at 1:04 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the provision of Obama's executive order is to deviate money from the interior and from ICE to the border and to the CBP. ICE will only, admittedly, focus on those who committed felonies.
Does that mean that ICE controls/follow-ups/raids will not ever again take place?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not all the Latino workers are illegal though are they? Have to admit I'm not totally sure, but I think the guys who worked on my house had proper businesses.
Nope. I'm not on that bandwagon in the slightest.

I stipulated that any contractor had to use a legal workforce, be covered for personal liability etc

My discussions determined that not all of them could fulfill that requirement so I didn't want them on the property.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What has their personal liability insuran e got to do with anything?

Just wondering how you checked legal presence?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
It sounds reasonable on the face of it but when you look at the numbers it turns out it's completely insane

There's about 11.5m illegal immigrants in the US. Deporting these illegals - according to data from the department of homeland security - would costs $239bn over five years. According to some projections the removal of these immigrants would reduce economic growth by around $250bn a year. Needless to say you would need to set up a massive police state style apparatus to track down all those people.
Those numbers are enough to provide every man woman and child a car to drive home.

Now if we exclude those too young to drive legally then we could probably be looking at a nice SUV.

One vehicle for each family and we are in the luxury class.

I remember reading similar numbers quoted in relation to the UK. All nonsense of course.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Those expulsions killed somewhere between 500,000 and 1.5m people (mostly women and children) through ill treatment, starvation and disease.

I don't know that I would want to say they were highly successful. For one thing the postwar stability was made possible by the lengthy occupation of and rehabilitation of Germany and the continuing presence of German minorities did not destabilize Italy, Romania, Hungary or Russia. The whole thing was a pretty shameful episode and should not have been allowed to happen.

5 years to remove even 90% of the illegals from the country is optimistic. It is probably a
ten year task. Because as they are removed new arrivals will take their place even if more are remove than arrive it will still take a very long time achieve very big cuts in illegal presence.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What has their personal liability insurance got to do with anything?

Just wondering how you checked legal presence?
I asked them.

I stipulated that a legal workforce was required. Some were not prepared to guarantee that as it would raise the cost of their bid.

Regarding insurance. When it became clear that some workers were not actually legal 'employees' and therefore not covered by the contractors insurance that's when the question for independent insurance by individual workers came into question. In case there was a situation where someone damaged a roof for example, or screwed up the plumbing.

The whole process of building our house was quite educational. We had to get up to speed rapidly.

(And to cut a long story short, we ended up suing one of the contractors and the Contractors Licensing Board, in their year long investigation, did indeed determine that this specific contractor used an illegal workforce in addition to other violations of State Contractor Law.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 24th 2014 at 3:15 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I'm not on that bandwagon in the slightest.

I stipulated that any contractor had to use a legal workforce, be covered for personal liability etc

My discussions determined that not all of them could fulfill that requirement so I didn't want them on the property.
Honestly, I never really understood how it all worked. I think every contractor in LA uses illegal labour to some extent.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Honestly, I never really understood how it all worked. I think every contractor in LA uses illegal labour to some extent.
The big risk is letting someone on your property that's not legally entitled to be there.
Big insurance risk.

(We actually sued and won because our chimney caught fire. Installed by a contractor using unqualified illegal workers.
We could have died...but there I was, ended up on the roof during Thanksgiving, with a hose and a real worry that the roof was about to collapse.)
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Obviously it depends.

When I was in California I saw the day labourers lined up at Home Depot. Now that would be very unusual
In Colorado.

I know people who work in Construction. It does also vary by trade. Landscaping at one end, Electrical/Plumbing at the other.

I walk the dog past a small new build development and I see the comings and goings. Quite how you were able to ask every sub contractor on site amazes me.

I remeber a roofing guy who was very anti using illegal labour. He very much gave me the impression he was the only one who did not!
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

The big risk is letting someone on your property that's not legally entitled to be there.
Big insurance risk.

(We actually sued and won because our chimney caught fire. Installed by a contractor using unqualified illegal workers.
We could have died...but there I was, ended up on the roof during Thanksgiving, with a hose and a real worry that the roof was about to collapse.)
What did their legal status have to do with it?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
What did their legal status have to do with it?
'Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants. There are criminal and civil penalties associated with this conduct.'

Massive liability issue.

The State Contractors Board certainly found it so.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants. There are criminal and civil penalties associated with this conduct.'

Massive liability issue.

The State Contractors Board certainly found it so.
For the contractor though.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For the contractor though.
If anyone not covered by insurance, as a legal employee, got badly hurt on my property that could make me liable. For example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.