Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obama's Executive Order

Obama's Executive Order

Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obama's Executive Order

So apparently it's going to be deferred action for x number of people and an extension of OPT for F-1 students in STEM subjects.

Whoop-te-do. The moral of the story being that if you need something sorted by USCIS/SSA/local DMV it would be wise not to wait.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama's Executive Order

Originally Posted by Steve_
So apparently it's going to be deferred action for x number of people and an extension of OPT for F-1 students in STEM subjects.

Whoop-te-do. The moral of the story being that if you need something sorted by USCIS/SSA/local DMV it would be wise not to wait.
Huge announcement for plenty of people I know personally. They are spouses of H1-B workers. Now they can get a job.

"Under the current law, H-4 visa holders (the dependent visa for spouses of H-1B holders) aren't allowed to work. As anticipated, the executive order will reform this, allowing certain spouses who meet specific criteria to work (and subsequently pay taxes)."

Although i do not know the details.

Oh and reform to lower the wages of the average US tech worker

Last edited by bewildering; Nov 21st 2014 at 4:16 am.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure as in many things political the details of Obamnesty will take seme time to become clear.

Seems the concept of anchor babies is now real. But does it apply to those in legal status?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Huge announcement for plenty of people I know personally. They are spouses of H1-B workers. Now they can get a job.
The rule change that was previously proposed would allow H-4s to apply for EADs if the primary has an approved I-140. This is huge for people who had an approved I-140 but weren't able to file I-485s (because of visa number availability), obviously. Do we know if that's still the plan, or are they going to implement some other thing now? Most of the coverage I've seen this morning has been predictably crap on the details.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

If it has been made clear I have not seen it.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

It is somewhat ironic that he has given a shield from deportation to "5 million illegals" many of whom probably weren't really in that much danger of being deported anyway. So what is the point of it all? He hasn't changed anything, all he has done is dared congress to put a bill together and he altered the course of his last 2 years in office to do it.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
It is somewhat ironic that he has given a shield from deportation to "5 million illegals" many of whom probably weren't really in that much danger of being deported anyway. So what is the point of it all? He hasn't changed anything, all he has done is dared congress to put a bill together and he altered the course of his last 2 years in office to do it.
It has allowed undocumented parents to get a legal job and pay taxes for 3 years, what happens after 3 years is in the cloud.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
... "5 million illegals" many of whom probably weren't really in that much danger of being deported anyway.
Perhaps this will give you a clue...

There is a well-known story about a beachcomber walking along the shore of the ocean. There were thousands of crabs washed up on the shore, and now, in the sun were dying of dehydration. But the beachcomber spotted a little girl throwing the crabs, one by one, back into the sea. He said, “You know, there’s thousands of these dying crabs. What possible difference can it make if you throw a few back?” The little girl picked up a crab, threw it back into the ocean and said, “Well, it made a difference to that one.”

So, do you get it yet? You seem to be very vocal about a lot of things about which you really don't have a clue!

He hasn't changed anything...
Yes, he has. I may not necessarily agree with his methods, but I applaud that he's trying to make a change. It seems that you prefer to sit back and simply criticize.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 21st 2014 at 10:24 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And hasn't even lived in the U.S.

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 21st 2014 at 10:56 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

This morning on the radio, I heard John Boehner respond to the President's Order:

"The action by the president yesterday will only encourage more people to come here illegally," Mr Boehner said. "[It] also punishes those who have obeyed the law and waited their turn."
I'm a day labourer living in Guatemala, with no family connections to the USA. I'm willing to obey the law and wait my turn. How long will it take?

I'm a UK gas technician married to a hairdresser, living in Salford. Again, no family connections to the USA. I'm willing to obey the law and wait my turn. How long will it take?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

I think Guatemalans can have a go at the GC Lottery.

Seems that USCIS hopes to have them all processed by the end of 2016.

Quite what the effect of DAPA will be on non amnesty applicants remains to be seen.

Not good would seems a reasonable assumption.

The more interesting ethical issues include those who do have a long route, how do you justify them waiting without access to the US temporarily on work permits etc.

And of course nothing that I have seen addresses the root cause of any of this. How can you bleet on about it being broken but not do anything to fix it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 21st 2014 at 11:26 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think Guatemalans can have a go at the GC Lottery.
How's your math?

How many years would a Guatemalan have to "play" the lottery to make it more likely than not to receive an immigrant visa?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Your day labourer example would be unlikely to meet the educational minimum.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

For some, the long route can be, err... long.

You're an LPR and want to file an I-130 petition for your 23-year-old Mexican daughter. You look at the Visa Bulletin for May 2012 and see that applicants with priority dates before December 1, 1992 are just now current in the F-2B category.

When will her visa become available?

(a) We can expect that your daughter’s visa will become available around 2032, since we are now experiencing almost a 20-year backlog in that category.

(b) It is impossible to predict with any certainty because the Visa Bulletin moves both forward and backward based on demand in that category.

(c) It is hard to say because the system for allocating visas and determining when a priority date will become current is very complex and subject to factors beyond our control and knowledge.

(d) Never!

Spoiler:
Answer d, never. Thanks to Mr. Folinsky for the link: https://cliniclegal.org/seriously-wh...ly-based-cases
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Perhaps this will give you a clue...

There is a well-known story about a beachcomber walking along the shore of the ocean. There were thousands of crabs washed up on the shore, and now, in the sun were dying of dehydration. But the beachcomber spotted a little girl throwing the crabs, one by one, back into the sea. He said, “You know, there’s thousands of these dying crabs. What possible difference can it make if you throw a few back?” The little girl picked up a crab, threw it back into the ocean and said, “Well, it made a difference to that one.”

So, do you get it yet? You seem to be very vocal about a lot of things about which you really don't have a clue!

Yes, he has. I may not necessarily agree with his methods, but I applaud that he's trying to make a change. It seems that you prefer to sit back and simply criticize.

Ian
I don't know why ICE is unwilling or unable to deport 12 million illegals. I don't some why the some police forces like NYPD and others do not get involved in the immigration enforcement and some passed laws to defeat 287 g didn't they?. I don't know why ice don't seem to raid workplaces to catch illegals on mass. If they did that they wouldn't have 12 million illegals right now. So given those statements which are more or less factually true are they not? you wish to tell me there was a real threat of deportation to 5 million illegals before yesterday? Poppycock!

So he hasn't changed anything then he has? Nothing would have happened to most of those illegals had this not been passed. It's not a ressurection of the dream act which failed is it which could have changed young people's lives? But he is trying to push the issue back to the forefront again.

Last edited by johnnybrown532; Nov 21st 2014 at 11:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.