Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obama's Executive Order

Obama's Executive Order

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama's Executive Order

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
I made that up in one minute.
That's about 59 seconds longer than it should have taken to come up with that bit of wisdom of yours.

No, the logistics of deporting 11 million people would be quite costly and difficult, and it wouldn't do any good even if you did.

People are good for GDP. The US is generally better off for having them. The alternative is to become something like Japan, which is sinking under the weight of an aging population and can't escape a semi-permanent recession.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
That's about 59 seconds longer than it should have taken to come up with that bit of wisdom of yours.

No, the logistics of deporting 11 million people would be quite costly and difficult, and it wouldn't do any good even if you did.

People are good for GDP. The US is generally better off for having them. The alternative is to become something like Japan, which is sinking under the weight of an aging population and can't escape a semi-permanent recession.
I agree the plan is not practical not for the short term and very one sided pretty much on par with what gingrich wanted I think and would never pass congress in a million years.

Lets see someone put together a better worded plan that I did. The great Ian- Mstm perhaps .
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The US is generally better off for having them.
Generally yes. Given that GDP is one of the metrics. (My investments for example benefit greatly.)

However it should not be discounted that many demographics are negatively affected.

And there's never enough honest discussion on that issue.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute

The alternative is to become something like Japan, which is sinking under the weight of an aging population and can't escape a semi-permanent recession.
Exactly why Europe is hoping to get as many South Americans as possible.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pete H
Exactly why Europe is hoping to get as many South Americans as possible.
Seem to remember a Conservative Immigration Minister leading the way on that one.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

There is always the law of uninted consequences. I remember some years back a lady posting that her husband had gone through the waiver process and comeback and could not get his old job back because he wanted to be legal. Was finding it very difficult to get work in his line as it was work Americans did not want to do.

Talking around there is a demand for labour not subject to the usual regulations and I see nothing to suggest that the demand has gone down even if the supply will. If only temporarily.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Mexico is a place I have no wish to visit. From dusk till dawn scared me right off it. In all seriousness it's a bad place them drug cartels are really out of control. Maybe the government can bring it under control one day.
I have been to Mexico three times. Can not say it was that much of an issue.

After all millions of Americans visit.

There are dodgy places wherever you go. Just have to be aware.

For example I used to go through Calais a lot. Read the media and you should not stop for at least 150 miles. My guess is that most is OK but there are certain bits to avoid.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico is a place I have no wish to visit. From dusk till dawn scared me right off it. In all seriousness it's a bad place them drug cartels are really out of control. Maybe the government can bring it under control one day.
i think you ought to go. Call it a character building exercise. .
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:43 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Generally yes. Given that GDP is one of the metrics. (My investments for example benefit greatly.)

However it should not be discounted that many demographics are negatively affected.

And there's never enough honest discussion on that issue.
You're right, of course. Still, there's a cost of having a large immigrant population, and a cost of not having one.

The cost-benefit analysis favors having immigrants over not having them. Part of the issue is that the costs and benefits are not evenly distributed. The benefits tend to be federal/national in nature, while the costs are unevenly distributed to particular locales that aren't reimbursed accordingly; it doesn't help us to ignore the difference.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the term 'net benefit' doesn't give the whole story...

And regarding 'jobs that Americans won't do'.

I believe Americans have done and continue to do some of the most difficult, dangerous, complex jobs in the world. However if there are seasonal requirements that are difficult to fill then visas can be issued.

Perhaps the issue is that the money on offer isn't enough to live on for some of these jobs.

I remember getting a quote for stucco on our house.
One business, licensed, bonded, insured, legal workers. $40,000
Other 'business' unlicensed, illegal workforce etc...$12,000

Healthy competition?

Last edited by Hotscot; Nov 24th 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:09 am
Account Closed

You're right, of course. Still, there's a cost of having a large immigrant population, and a cost of not having one.

The cost-benefit analysis favors having immigrants over not having them. Part of the issue is that the costs and benefits are not evenly distributed. The benefits tend to be federal/national in nature, while the costs are unevenly distributed to particular locales that aren't reimbursed accordingly; it doesn't help us to ignore the difference.
I have read that the cost~benefit is higher than for Slavery.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
The rule change that was previously proposed would allow H-4s to apply for EADs if the primary has an approved I-140. This is huge for people who had an approved I-140 but weren't able to file I-485s (because of visa number availability), obviously. Do we know if that's still the plan, or are they going to implement some other thing now? Most of the coverage I've seen this morning has been predictably crap on the details.
Bugger. As you say:
Finalize a rule to provide work authorization to the spouses of certain H-1B visa holders who are on the path to lawful permanent resident status.

Looks like I should not have jumped to the wrong conclusion. This will only help one of my friends. Shame, I never understood why J2s can work but H4s cannot.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:12 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big difference between these two headlines:

Exploitation facilitates illegal immigration

and

Illegal immigration facilitates exploitation
Old Nov 24th 2014, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes, the term 'net benefit' doesn't give the whole story...

And regarding 'jobs that Americans won't do'.

I believe Americans have done and continue to do some of the most difficult, dangerous, complex jobs in the world. However if there are seasonal requirements that are difficult to fill then visas can be issued.

Perhaps the issue is that the money on offer isn't enough to live on for some of these jobs.

I remember getting a quote for stucco on our house.
One business, licensed, bonded, insured, legal workers. $40,000
Other 'business' unlicensed, illegal workforce etc...$12,000

Healthy competition?
Not all the Latino workers are illegal though are they? Have to admit I'm not totally sure, but I think the guys who worked on my house had proper businesses. One even had an 'America - fit in or **** off' (words to that effect)-type sticker on his truck). Some of the labourers may have drifted between the two countries; I know one wasn't quite sure how many kids he had in Guatemala but settled on 12.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:12 am
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
i think you ought to go. Call it a character building exercise. .
Me and Ian-Mstm will clean that place up in a jiffy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.