Reload this Page >

Obamacare Sign Up

Obamacare Sign Up

Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obamacare Sign Up

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Silver for $112 a month after premium subsidy. Offhand, I don't know the gross figure.
The subsidy would have been based on estimated income for next year, the gross is what you could end up paying. So a good number to know.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The subsidy would have been based on estimated income for next year, the gross is what you could end up paying. So a good number to know.
We understand how it works but thanks anyway.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:50 am
Account Closed

We understand how it works but thanks anyway.
My guess is that you are in the minority.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
there are unfortunately no subsidies for us and since I had knee replacement, definitely not one for premier insurance, and we are going to be hit with high out of pocket before we get any coverage with the changes forced on our existing insurance.
Why wouldn't you get coverage through an exchange where pre-existing conditions can't be used as a rating factor and where your insurance can't be cancelled or increased in cost down the road based on your personal medical history?

My adult son was also uninsured but we carried his costs. Yes one of those with pre-existing conditions so I understand it from both aspects.
Your son has pre-existing conditions? And you're advising him not to get insurance through an exchange? Why?

Obamacare is fragmented and needs to go back to the drawing board to get something that can actually work for the masses rather than political gamesmanship. Tort reform and changes alone to insurance companies denying coverage could have been addressed.
Except that without some kind of mandate, the latter can't. If coverage can't be denied why would anyone buy insurance before they got sick? As to the former, I think the ACA could have done more, but all studies I've seen suggest this is a small factor in overall costs.

Obama wanted to reinvent the wheel by force. Would have been more effective taking their time to get this right. It can be done but has to be examined to see if state wide control will be more effective than a federal program. This is a circus.
It's a scheme that came out of the Heritage Foundation, a right wing think-tank and is very similar to what Romney instigated in Massachusetts. It passed both houses of Congress, was signed by the President, and found constitutional by the Supreme Court. Hardly Obama reinventing the wheel by force. As for state control, lol. We've waited decades for states to do something. And guess what? Aside from Massachusetts and arguably Utah, none did anything to get us nearer universal coverage.

The ACA certainly isn't the way I'd have gone, but it sure is a lot better than the status quo.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 24th 2013 at 5:07 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:12 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't you get coverage through an exchange where pre-existing conditions can't be used as a rating factor and where your insurance can't be cancelled or increased in cost down the road based on your personal medical history?

Your son has pre-existing conditions? And you're advising him not to get insurance through an exchange? Why?

Except that without some kind of mandate, the latter can't. If coverage can't be denied why would anyone buy insurance before they got sick? As to the former, I think the ACA could have done more, but all studies I've seen suggest this is a small factor in overall costs.

It's a scheme that came out of the Heritage Foundation, a right wing think-tank and is very similar to what Romney instigated in Massachusetts. It passed both houses of Congress, was signed by the President, and found constitutional by the Supreme Court. Hardly Obama reinventing the wheel by force. As for state control, lol. We've waited decades for states to do something. And guess what? Aside from Massachusetts and arguably Utah, none did anything to get us nearer universal coverage.

The ACA certainly isn't the way I'd have gone, but it sure is a lot better than the status quo.
You could have saved yourself some trouble, and just banged your head against the wall.

The essential problem with Obamacare is that it has the word "Obama" in it. We ain't gonna take no crapola from some uppity colored commie Muslim African who doesn't know his place!

And yes, ACA is far from perfect. (I can even see some risks that could cause it to fail.) But at least it puts us on the road toward making things better than they have been.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:55 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you play the race card? You can have an uppity, arrogant, single minded, loose lips, bible punching white guy that pushes his agenda that folks don't like. Race usually has nothing to do with certain behaviours. I recall many previous Presidents with one or more of those unsavoury characteristics and perhaps we should focus on behavioural shortcomings rather than use a tired excuse to justify them. I think I should slag this president because of his gender. Males and ego stand in the way of common sense. Bring on a woman (except Perlosi)!

Back to topic. I have suggested my son hold off on any type of sign on until we see where this program ends up. Signing on is the least of the problems at the moment and I believe that when the tests check the metal of if this works in full implementation then sign on. The fine is cheaper than a huge mess with very personal information scattered God knows where. What is required in info simply to seek out health care options is unacceptable. One should at the very least be able to do this without providing your first born to the government. The company my hubby works for had a cadillac plan for all their employees, and that covers about 6000 employees in the US. That has changed and the plans that have been rolled out literally increases out of pocket expenses before coverage to all employees at ( at least) triple the rate of what it was before. My hubby is on the healthcare committee and it has been an education as to what we will get hit with next. Maybe more of them need to bail out of our company insurance and go to the exchanges and perhaps that is what the forced changes to insurance companies is intended to do.
I do subscribe to changes in health care. One, stopping frivolous law suits, and Two, forcing some changes on health care policy. Had this program been another option that would compete for your business, which in turn would be good competition and encourage enrollment, this became a full brunt political agenda. The amount of resistance to this program is what is going to impact the outcome, let alone what appears to be clear incompetence in getting the program off the ground. Without getting into a slag fest, I prefer to observe and see what works before taking the next step. One thing I can assure you of in this country. Hit the pocket book of the average American and they will ensure it stops.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Back to topic. I have suggested my son hold off on any type of sign on until we see where this program ends up. Signing on is the least of the problems at the moment and I believe that when the tests check the metal of if this works in full implementation then sign on. The fine is cheaper than a huge mess with very personal information scattered God knows where.
Is continuing to be uninsured worth it? That is the true comparison you need to make.

What is required in info simply to seek out health care options is unacceptable. One should at the very least be able to do this without providing your first born to the government.
Most state sites don't require registration to see prices/subsidies. From this weekend the federal site won't either.

The company my hubby works for had a cadillac plan for all their employees, and that covers about 6000 employees in the US. That has changed and the plans that have been rolled out literally increases out of pocket expenses before coverage to all employees at ( at least) triple the rate of what it was before.
My (very large) employer estimates that the ACA coverage mandates for 2014 will increase their costs by a very small amount. And health care inflation is lower this year (and last) than in prior years. The net result is that the increase in premiums for 2014 is actually lower than in most prior years, about $120 a year for my single coverage. There are no changes to deductibles/copays. And this is also classified as a "cadillac" plan. Count me very sceptical that the increased costs with your husband's plan can be placed solely at the door of the ACA.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 24th 2013 at 5:22 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you play the race card? You can have an uppity, arrogant, single minded, loose lips, bible punching white guy that pushes his agenda that folks don't like.
How do you feel about Romneycare?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:34 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How do you feel about Romneycare?
Don't care for it, or him either.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't care for it, or him either.
How would you get to near-universal coverage?

p.s. "tort reform" is hardly sufficient.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:38 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Is continuing to be uninsured worth it? That is the true comparison you need to make.

Most state sites don't require registration to see prices/subsidies. From this weekend the federal site won't either.

My (very large) employer estimates that the ACA coverage mandates for 2014 will increase their costs by a very small amount. And health care inflation is lower this year (and last) than in prior years. The net result is that the increase in premiums for 2014 is actually lower than in most prior years, about $120 a year for my single coverage. There are no changes to deductibles/copays. And this is also classified as a "cadillac" plan. Count me very sceptical that the increased costs with your husband's plan can be placed solely at the door of the ACA.
Our insurance rates have increased marginally, our out of pocket has jumped from $500 per individual before the 80% coverage to $2700 with limitation on who is now within our network. It is no longer separated into individual out of pocket, so that amount must be reached (spent by either partner) before insurance kicks in. The rest of the changes are still being ironed out.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who believes that "tort reform" (i.e. laws that require litigants to pay their lawyers by the hour) would substantially reduce healthcare costs doesn't know anything about either "tort reform" or healthcare.

Even the most aggressive estimates from right-wing think tanks don't come up with very compelling numbers. Apply those figures to per capita healthcare costs, and the US would still top the list as the most expensive nation, by far.

The loudest whining about ACA is coming from those who appear to know nothing about it. Unfortunately, knowing nothing doesn't prevent these people from talking and talking and talking...
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:43 pm
Nuts and Bolts

How would you get to near-universal coverage?

p.s. "tort reform" is hardly sufficient.
I don't think we will ever get to universal coverage. You are basically asking for a single payer mandate and that needs to be voted on. A program this significant needs the support of all Americans to work effectively. Tort reform is simply a beginning in controlling costs imposed on the practice of medicine. Doctors/ medical facilities spend an inordinate amount of time, money and cautionary practice to protect themselves again liability, and I understand the patient needs protections but the system has become severely abused and we all pay for that.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Why would you play the race card? You can have an uppity, arrogant, single minded, loose lips, bible punching white guy that pushes his agenda that folks don't like. Race usually has nothing to do with certain behaviours. I recall many previous Presidents with one or more of those unsavoury characteristics and perhaps we should focus on behavioural shortcomings rather than use a tired excuse to justify them. I think I should slag this president because of his gender. Males and ego stand in the way of common sense. Bring on a woman (except Perlosi)!
If you are against anything Obama has proposed you are it seems by definition a Racist.

Back to topic. I have suggested my son hold off on any type of sign on until we see where this program ends up. Signing on is the least of the problems at the moment and I believe that when the tests check the metal of if this works in full implementation then sign on.
That seems to be the message been given now by the Dems of all people.

I do subscribe to changes in health care. One, stopping frivolous law suits, and Two, forcing some changes on health care policy. Had this program been another option that would compete for your business, which in turn would be good competition and encourage enrollment, this became a full brunt political agenda. The amount of resistance to this program is what is going to impact the outcome, let alone what appears to be clear incompetence in getting the program off the ground. Without getting into a slag fest, I prefer to observe and see what works before taking the next step. One thing I can assure you of in this country. Hit the pocket book of the average American and they will ensure it stops.
The Legal Profession sic have plenty of money to fund the Politicians who supported this, pissing them off by limiting their future income would be a very BAD idea.

And of course all the other special interests who benefited at the expense of the gerneral public.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Tort reform is simply a beginning in controlling costs imposed on the practice of medicine. Doctors/ medical facilities spend an inordinate amount of time, money and cautionary practice to protect themselves again liability, and I understand the patient needs protections but the system has become severely abused and we all pay for that.
That is what I have noticed, a lot of crap, defensive medicine. Reduce their liability, increases your costs and their margins.

That is where the big bucks are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.