Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obamacare Sign Up

Obamacare Sign Up

Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obamacare Sign Up

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Our insurance rates have increased marginally, our out of pocket has jumped from $500 per individual before the 80% coverage....
So not a Cadillac policy to begin with then.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:06 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So not a Cadillac policy to begin with then.
Actually was as we had a lot of medical facilities under our PPO. All that has now changed. You do know there is no such thing as free health care right? We all pay for it somehow.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The issue is really value, then you can argue about how you spread the cost.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thank a Canadian company is one of the prime contractors!, the main issues seem to arise at the Federal level.
IIRC they showed on the news that they've spent over $200 million on this website so far, and CGI is only one of the contractors.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:33 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The loudest whining about ACA is coming from those who appear to know nothing about it. Unfortunately, knowing nothing doesn't prevent these people from talking and talking and talking...
I guess the 'average' joe (like me, you and others on the forum) just see their premiums and out of pockets drastically being increased by the dirty profiteering insurance providers as a result of the ACA.

The ACA is good in theory, but the practice of it is (already!) woeful.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I guess the 'average' joe (like me, you and others on the forum) just see their premiums and out of pockets drastically being increased by the dirty profiteering insurance providers as a result of the ACA.

The ACA is good in theory, but the practice of it is (already!) woeful.
Obviously some people should have Cadillacs and some nothing...it's the way of the World...just like every other developed country...er...or something.

What could be worse than going to hospital and finding that your gardener is in there getting the same treatment as you? So un-American
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:46 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Obviously some people should have Cadillacs and some nothing...it's the way of the World...just like every other developed country...er...or something.
OT -

Just on the topic of cars, I've yet to find an American car I desire, and if I was forced to buy one a Cadillac (god awful cars) would be way down my list
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:49 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

My premiums will be falling with ACA. Others who I know also find that their premiums are falling.

The Rand Corporation finds that premiums are declining to flat, depending upon the state. Aside from politically loaded anecdotes and "studies" from right-wing lobbyists masquerading as think tanks, I don't see any credible evidence that premiums are increasing as a result of ACA.

Premiums have been rising generally well above the cost of inflation. Employers are increasingly choosing plans that require more employee payments. These trends were in play long before ACA became law.

It seems that the average person who is whining about this has no experience with individual policies or the full cost of their insurance. Blaming ACA for an employer's decision to downgrade its coverage doesn't make much sense at all.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OT -

Just on the topic of cars, I've yet to find an American car I desire, and if I was forced to buy one a Cadillac (god awful cars) would be way down my list
True
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we will ever get to universal coverage. You are basically asking for a single payer mandate and that needs to be voted on. A program this significant needs the support of all Americans to work effectively. Tort reform is simply a beginning in controlling costs imposed on the practice of medicine. Doctors/ medical facilities spend an inordinate amount of time, money and cautionary practice to protect themselves again liability, and I understand the patient needs protections but the system has become severely abused and we all pay for that.
Ah, so just tort reform.

Massachusetts has 96% coverage with Romneycare... It has its problems, but even so it has got the state much closer to universal coverage.

Medicare was claimed to put us on the road to confiscation of private property when it was introduced in the 60's. Had we listened to the right wing back then and waited for "the support of all Americans", we would still be in the position of having 50% of seniors with no insurance cover and the likelihood of bankruptcy on their first significant illness.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 24th 2013 at 7:06 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The Rand Corporation finds that premiums are declining to flat, depending upon the state. Aside from politically loaded anecdotes and "studies" from right-wing lobbyists masquerading as think tanks, I don't see any credible evidence that premiums are increasing as a result of ACA.

Premiums have been rising generally well above the cost of inflation. Employers are increasingly choosing plans that require more employee payments. These trends were in play long before ACA became law.

It seems that the average person who is whining about this has no experience with individual policies or the full cost of their insurance. Blaming ACA for an employer's decision to downgrade its coverage doesn't make much sense at all.
It's a great opportunity for employers to downgrade coverage and blame something else, i.e. the ACA. They know most employees will buy the argument and not actually notice that almost all (all?) of the mandated screening and other coverages that increase costs came into effect before 2014. For example, iirc the under 26 on employee's policy came into force in 2011.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 24th 2013 at 7:07 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's a great opportunity for employers to downgrade coverage and blame something else, i.e. the ACA. They know most employees will buy the argument and not actually notice that almost all (all?) of the mandated screening and other coverages came into effect before 2014. For example, iirc the under 26 on employees policy came into force in 2011.
Of course.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Actually was as we had a lot of medical facilities under our PPO. All that has now changed. You do know there is no such thing as free health care right? We all pay for it somehow.
Yes. But you were going on about having a great Cadillac plan before the change.

Then you mentioned it only being 80% and still with a $500 deductible.

80% coverage is crap.

The $500 is pretty standard.

I'm guessing expectations are different, because our shit plan is better than that :/
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

dirty profiteering insurance providers
Point of order, insurance companies have ALWAYS been dirty profiteering *blanks* this is not the result of the ACA it is not something new and it is not likely ever to change.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't their profits now capped at 20%?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.