Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obamacare Sign Up

Obamacare Sign Up

Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obamacare Sign Up

Seems the first lady in Deaware has signed up! Took her 7 hours including clearing cache etc.

For those with less patience the recommendation is to use the Phone or one of the invigilators.

The concern seems to be the ones who will not bother because of the hassle are the ones needed to subsidise the cost of us old farts.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:05 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obamacare Sign Up

Last I heard Oregon was only processing paper applications by hand. The computer cannot be relied upon to work out properly the subsidized rate for those those who qualify.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:08 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Seems the first lady in Deaware has signed up! Took her 7 hours including clearing cache etc.

For those with less patience the recommendation is to use the Phone or one of the invigilators.

The concern seems to be the ones who will not bother because of the hassle are the ones needed to subsidise the cost of us old farts.
I've had my own Obamacare experience already: my out of pocket deductible has just gone up by 100%. I'm gonna give it a few years, then move back to England. The healthcare situation here disgusts me.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As I predicted a couple of weeks ago, there are also people who are dissuaded from signing up because of the size of the copays and deductibles. People are thinking that even if they can afford the insurance premiums, they won't be able to afford to make a claim.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:18 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has been working on his sign-up in CT. Like anything new it is a learning process for both him and the folks on the other end of the phone/computer, but they have been uniformly helpful, there are a number of plans for him to choose from, and he will save a lot of money over his current individual policy.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up trying to get a quote from healthcare.gov....after inputting all the family details, it keeps throwing a wobbler because it thinks my son is my daughters father...(even when I keep telling it we're in Texas, not Arkansas). I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.

On other fronts, my current insurer (Humana) has written to tell me that my current 578+50 premium will go up to 1128 with the same 11900 deductible wef 1/1/14, and they are removing my "+50" ER rider as its not required under ACA. Marvelous.

On a brighter note, Costco seem to be able to provide me with coverage through Aetna for 620 with a 5k deductible, which seems to be a step in the right direction, although by the time I've waited to see what the Federal exchange can do for me, no doubt the Costco quote will have disappeared. Or doubled.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:08 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

My premiums will be falling. I'll also be able to shop around for policies, something that I couldn't otherwise do, thanks to a preexisting condition.

These plans also cover brand name drugs, something that many individual plans didn't cover at all.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've given up trying to get a quote from healthcare.gov....after inputting all the family details, it keeps throwing a wobbler because it thinks my son is my daughters father...(even when I keep telling it we're in Texas, not Arkansas). I guess I'll try again in a few weeks.

On other fronts, my current insurer (Humana) has written to tell me that my current 578+50 premium will go up to 1128 with the same 11900 deductible wef 1/1/14, and they are removing my "+50" ER rider as its not required under ACA. Marvelous.

On a brighter note, Costco seem to be able to provide me with coverage through Aetna for 620 with a 5k deductible, which seems to be a step in the right direction, although by the time I've waited to see what the Federal exchange can do for me, no doubt the Costco quote will have disappeared. Or doubled.
That's a problem I had with Blue Cross about 12 years ago. The quote and coverage I originally was quoted was very good until they examined my medical records over a 2 month period and then they tripled the cost and significantly reduced the coverage. Since it took them so long to examine my medical records, my other coverage (Cobra) was about to expire and I didn't have enough time to get a quote from another insurance company and thought I was totally screwed. Fortunately at the last minute, I discovered I was eligible for VA coverage.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Has anybody been able to sign up on line?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That's a problem I had with Blue Cross about 12 years ago. The quote and coverage I originally was quoted was very good until they examined my medical records over a 2 month period and then they tripled the cost and significantly reduced the coverage. Since it took them so long to examine my medical records, my other coverage (Cobra) was about to expire and I didn't have enough time to get a quote from another insurance company and thought I was totally screwed. Fortunately at the last minute, I discovered I was eligible for VA coverage.
Hopefully this will be prevented under ACA.....
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Has anybody been able to sign up on line?
I was just looking at some plans this morning. Some interesting quotes, though of course the devil is in the details. A lot of these plans have limited provider lists to keep costs down which might be a problem.

I think the only "condition" they can use to hike rates is tobacco use.

One must of course remember that the majority of these plans are primarily aimed at increasing the general pool by hoovering up the un-insured, those happy young indestructible folk who rarely go to see a doctor. A high co-insurance or out of pocket doesn't really matter if you never go to see the doctor. But knowing that they finally have some coverage for a relatively low premium may be worth it.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't use ACA, I believe that the insurance company will still examine medical records and offer prices and coverage based on your medical records.

I suspect that is one of the reasons why your previous insurance company raised your premiums since they already have that information.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:49 am
Account Closed

I think the only "condition" they can use to hike rates is tobacco use.
Age is the biggie.

Also location, but probably the less of the three.

One must of course remember that the majority of these plans are primarily aimed at increasing the general pool by hoovering up the un-insured, those happy young indestructible folk who rarely go to see a doctor. A high co-insurance or out of pocket doesn't really matter if you never go to see the doctor. But knowing that they finally have some coverage for a relatively low premium may be worth it.
According to Obama this morning it is the ones with Medical issues.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect that is one of the reasons why your previous insurance company raised your premiums since they already have that information.
I figured the main reason was that they knew what I was likely to be paying on the exchanges (per my comments a few weeks ago), so they bumped it to just below. There's no mileage for them to keep them "artificially" low...they may as well match, or just undercut the exchange and keep the business.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:34 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As I predicted a couple of weeks ago, there are also people who are dissuaded from signing up because of the size of the copays and deductibles. People are thinking that even if they can afford the insurance premiums, they won't be able to afford to make a claim.
This is totally true, for many people it's simpler easier (and cheaper) to take the fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.