Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

not used to all these bugs!

not used to all these bugs!

Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not used to all these bugs!

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Was that absolutely necessary?
Yes ...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Yer a bad bad man Ray. I read the wiki on the Brown Recluse, seems that those type of injuries/infections can and do happen but are relatively rare. Mind you Leslie, he could have posted much much worse lol., some of the pics that come up on google are gag producing!!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey MandyNi - not long until you join us Stateside - what part of Va are you going to? I am in Vienna,Va. Let me know if I can help you with any info on the area
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Yer a bad bad man Ray. I read the wiki on the Brown Recluse, seems that those type of injuries/infections can and do happen but are relatively rare. Mind you Leslie, he could have posted much much worse lol., some of the pics that come up on google are gag producing!!
Try this one... yes he really is living with that!
http://poetry.rotten.com/maggoted-ii/
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I react quite badly to skeeter bites, when I am biten I get lumps that swell 1-2 inches across... I got biten by something (still not sure what) on the inside of my leg, just above my knee, it is swollen about 8 inches across, is red, itching and hot to the touch... might be a trip to the doc on monday if it doesn't settle down.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I react quite badly to skeeter bites, when I am biten I get lumps that swell 1-2 inches across... I got biten by something (still not sure what) on the inside of my leg, just above my knee, it is swollen about 8 inches across, is red, itching and hot to the touch... might be a trip to the doc on monday if it doesn't settle down.
I react the same way, the swelling on your leg sounds very similar to a skeeter bite I got in Germany, I ended up in the ER having it drained, apparently the skeeters there carry disease from the dirty Rhine river! Get to the Dr and have it checked!
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I got biten by something (still not sure what) on the inside of my leg, just above my knee, it is swollen about 8 inches across, is red, itching and hot to the touch...
Sounds like a tick.

... might be a trip to the doc on monday if it doesn't settle down.
Umm... I wouldn't wait.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So what happened?!
I've been wanting to see what others think about my theory, but I haven't had time to look up the proper names etc.
I think there are two classes of mosquito breeds. While I'm really allergic to all the bites, I'm acclimatised/inoculated to the ones on this side of the pond (incl Central America/Mexico etc).
BUT, the mosquitoes in Greece.. omg, the bites I'd get would react just like you say.. the ones my dad got got *huge* and so painful looking.. really dramatic reaction.

So I guess I want to know.. do any of you find that you react really differently to mosquito bites in the US vs UK/Europe? Are the mosquitoes in the UK another breed again from the A. Egypti? Oh good lord.. there are 50 mosquito species found in Massachusetts?! Maybe I don't want to know...
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So what happened?!
I've been wanting to see what others think about my theory, but I haven't had time to look up the proper names etc.
I think there are two classes of mosquito breeds. While I'm really allergic to all the bites, I'm acclimatised/inoculated to the ones on this side of the pond (incl Central America/Mexico etc).
BUT, the mosquitoes in Greece.. omg, the bites I'd get would react just like you say.. the ones my dad got got *huge* and so painful looking.. really dramatic reaction.

So I guess I want to know.. do any of you find that you react really differently to mosquito bites in the US vs UK/Europe? Are the mosquitoes in the UK another breed again from the A. Egypti? Oh good lord.. there are 50 mosquito species found in Massachusetts?! Maybe I don't want to know...
I agree the Greek Mozzies are buggers. I was in my early 30's when we went...the first day they attacked my legs. I looked like I had old ladies swollen legs. I went to a pharmacy and the pharmacist said I should go to the hospital. I didn't and after a couple of months they'd disappeared. The mozzies in Southern Spain were almost as bad.

I react about the same to both US and UK mozzies....huge red lumps that take weeks and weeks to disappear. My lifeline is Lentek's Bite Shield.

The worst bug bite IMO is the deer/horse fly...OMG you feel it bite you and it takes forever for the itching and swelling to go. I've never had a problem with them before...maybe it's because we have so many deer around here.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I react to wasp stings like that. I once had one get up my trouser leg and sting me on my shin...I put Waspeze on it which helped a lot. Problem was it had stung me on my upper thigh and I hadn't felt it. A few hours later it looked like I had a blood orange strapped to my thigh.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I react to wasp stings like that. I once had one get up my trouser leg and sting me on my shin...I put Waspeze on it which helped a lot. Problem was it had stung me on my upper thigh and I hadn't felt it. A few hours later it looked like I had a blood orange strapped to my thigh.
I sat on a Mexican beach wasp once. You should have seen MY result!
Freakin' things are the size of pterodactyls...
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I sat on a Mexican beach wasp once. You should have seen MY result!
Freakin' things are the size of pterodactyls...
The largest wasp I've seen was a cicada killer wasp that flew into our kitchen...it was about 2" long.

I hate bugs. I'm always the one they land on. Last week a large dragonfly landed on my leg when I was sunbathing...we were on a cruise ship on the Atlantic Ocean. There were about 3,000 passengers + crew and it had to pick me! I know it's harmless but I hate anything like that.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The largest wasp I've seen was a cicada killer wasp that flew into our kitchen...it was about 2" long.

I hate bugs. I'm always the one they land on. Last week a large dragonfly landed on my leg when I was sunbathing...we were on a cruise ship on the Atlantic Ocean. There were about 3,000 passengers + crew and it had to pick me! I know it's harmless but I hate anything like that.
You probably smell good.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Joce just got bitten in bed by a scorpion ..she is really pissed
only got her hand
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

So what happened?
It was red, swollen, hot and itchy for 4 or 5 days then is started to subside. Saturday night I was in the shower shaving my legs and could still see a very slight discolouration in the area. It was really weird. Hubby thought it was maybe a spider, a girl at work said it looked exactly like the reaction she got to wasp stings, but I would have thought I would have felt that or at least had the stinger thing left in my leg. I still don't know for sure I just hope I never get biten/stung by the same thing again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.