British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   not used to all these bugs! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/not-used-all-these-bugs-672569/)

Ja5on Jun 15th 2010 2:32 pm

not used to all these bugs!

i'm living in VA and right outside my patio doors is a small strech of grass then a little creek and a lot of big trees, so we're getting a lot of bugs on our back porch, i was wondering if anyone knew of any good ways to keep them away, we sprayed all the big spiders with bug spray the other day but more bugs seem to have appeared since then. thanks for any input.

Ray Jun 15th 2010 2:50 pm

Re: not used to all these bugs!

Originally Posted by Ja5on (Post 8634564)
i'm living in VA and right outside my patio doors is a small strech of grass then a little creek and a lot of big trees, so we're getting a lot of bugs on our back porch, i was wondering if anyone knew of any good ways to keep them away, we sprayed all the big spiders with bug spray the other day but more bugs seem to have appeared since then. thanks for any input.

move ...to a concrete jungle

or call Billy

http://www.aetv.com/billy-the-exterminator/index.jsp

Bill_S Jun 15th 2010 2:52 pm

Sorry mate, but summer + creek + trees = bugs. Can you screen the porch?

SecretGarden Jun 15th 2010 2:53 pm

More bugs appeared because you killed all the spiders! Spiders are good......they eat the other things.......:eek:

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and look for some bug foggers. Not expensive, and an easy way to keep most things away.

~SecretGarden

penguinsix Jun 15th 2010 2:55 pm

Bug zapper. Blue light of death. Home Dept et al.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 15th 2010 3:27 pm

Clark pest control, he'll poison the lot on a regular basis for a fee.
He comes to us for the scorpions and ants, other than that we live with the bugs, Dd thinks they are cute and plays with them, cheap friends and you don't have to feed them.

SpoogleDrummer Jun 15th 2010 3:48 pm

I've used Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer around my house and it seems to do the job though our biggest problem was ants. You can spray it on the bugs to kill them or spray around the house to keep them out. It also says it doesn't work on brown recluses and black widows but the buggers I sprayed did very good impressions of dead spiders. I don;t think it will help if your bugs are the flying kind though.

helwardman Jun 15th 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 8634703)
I've used Ortho Home Defense Max Insect Killer around my house and it seems to do the job though our biggest problem was ants. You can spray it on the bugs to kill them or spray around the house to keep them out. It also says it doesn't work on brown recluses and black widows but the buggers I sprayed did very good impressions of dead spiders. I don;t think it will help if your bugs are the flying kind though.

I've used that too and it seems to help stop creepy-crawly type bugs from getting into the house. I use it outside and inside every few months.
I get a lot of fire-ants in the back garden and those are a pain to get rid of - they just seem to move from mound to mound.

Englishtart Jun 15th 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 8634703)

We used that too, within a day or two of moving into the house last week, the last two days or so, we have found sickly looking cockroaches wandering through the living room!:eek: I'm hoping it does kill black widows and brown recluses, our neighbor says they can be a regular visitor around here!

We have loads of those irritating 'no-seeums' but not so many mozzies, I think it's too hot for them!:blink:

Ash UK/US Jun 15th 2010 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8634607)
move ...to a concrete jungle

or call Billy

http://www.aetv.com/billy-the-exterminator/index.jsp

Doesn't help... I pretty much live in the concrete jungle and I still get bugs. I am thinking of showering in Off every, I am so sick of the skeeter bites, I reacte so badly to them :(

Bob Jun 15th 2010 6:04 pm

Your town might spray the area, especially if you have standing water nearby, or kids.

Or just have a screened in porch.

CelticRover Jun 15th 2010 6:09 pm

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/

Ray Jun 15th 2010 7:00 pm

the water moccasin is the only real problem

Octang Frye Jun 15th 2010 7:19 pm

Don't kill the spiders! They're your friends.

DeanUK2US Jun 15th 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 8635080)
Don't kill the spiders! They're your friends.

And if they bite you, you become Spiderman! Coool! :thumbsup: