Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Wikiposts

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:39 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by CitySimon
America has a long standing "We're No 1!!" thing going on and, in some cases, I've seen Americans argue the superiority of the US even on subjects about which they have no real comparable, worldly knowledge.

Usually, I ignore people who try that crap on me... People stopped trying the whole "We saved your ass in World War Two" and "we whooped your ass twice...Hurr Hurr!" thing when they realised it's a good way to ruin a party.
Out of boredom of such occasions I would say - I have 3 syllables for you, Vietnam... and then ask what's it like to have been defeated by a 3rd world country? Usually rattles their cage a bit.

July 4.... tis the season!! Thread lightly!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:14 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I'll be putting my Saint Georges flag up for the 4th of July.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Let it all out. Don't feel bad about venting.

And since you at it, i might as well get stuck in as well !! These are the things that have been pissing me off lately...

The dry sense of humor. I cant stand it. Every time i make a joke at work its all, "Oh Steve you too sassy" blah blah blah. I absolutely hate that word now *SASS*

2. I don't know how many times i have seen people with the Scottish, Irish and German license plate flags on their cars, acting like they actually know anything about those country's. I bet most of those people couldn't even locate them on a map but still they are so proud that their x10 great uncle's sister came from there.

I couldn't imagine myself living over here for 20 + years like some have.

Get off of your high horse a** wipe.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:16 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Get off of your high horse a** wipe.
Asswipe

Feeling better now mr yankie

Leave the lad alone to have his moan
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srah
Asswipe

Feeling better now mr yankie

Leave the lad alone to have his moan

Yes Ma'am.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
I kinda like it down here. Makes me feel smart. A real ego-booster. A "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" kind of scenario.
It does at first but after nearly 14yrs here, most of it in the South, it kinda wears you down!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:00 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Joking aside, how do you catch with a mitt without feeling like a plonker? Guess I'm just not used to it, but catching a baseball bare handed is so much easier than using a mitt...
It's tricky, isn't it.
You have to aim for the ball to hit about 2 inches above your finger tips, rather than letting it hit your fingers. I still can't get it and I reckon if I ever do master it I won't be able to catch without one.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:54 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Canada - it's like the US, but without the BS (or at least less of it)
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:52 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!
I though of you when I saw this...
Attached Thumbnails Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer-map.jpg  
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:00 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!

Perhaps you should think about moving to Houston?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:18 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Perhaps you should think about moving to Houston?
Which is officially a very nice place to be.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I though of you when I saw this...
Sad (and funny), but true on most accounts.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:45 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
Sad (and funny), but true on most accounts.
It was sent to me by my US neighbour via her brother so I didn't feel too badly about passing it on.

There is another version which shows the world from Britains point of view but I couldn't find that...it was in Viz magazine (many, many years ago).
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

KavJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I say, hang in there, Bradford lass. I am an old Leeds lad, (not lag) and I've been here a long time. Still miss the old West Riding from time to time.
I think that Americans are going through a tough time right now. The younger folk didn't have the safety net in their society that we had in the UK. Until recently I don't think that many of them thought that they needed it.
I think that there is more flag waving in the south. There's more of a military tradition in the south. I lived in Texas for 21 years and the difference in local attitude between there and southern California is quite substantial.
As for Lou Dobbs, he is more against immigration from our southern neighbours than from Brits.
His chief assistant and successor as a financial commentator for many years on CNN's Moneyline was Stuart Varney, a Brit.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about the British Empire and the partition of India with an American at the weekend. "So was that to keep the Christians and Muslims apart?"

Not saying that's typical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.