Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Wikiposts

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!
The Yanks may think they live in the best country..but the Aussies know they do.
Seriously,wonder how many of those folk that you write about would know or seen anywhere else.?
Stay with the people you feel ok with...arrange the odd English Nite(?)perhaps.
Good Luck Chin Up and remember your British and way above all else.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

duffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant futureduffdude has a brilliant future

I second the notion that it sounds like you are in a more conservative area of the US. The solution isn't getting out! It's moving to a more 'enlightened' part for the US
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to warn my American friends on the 4th July.
"Don't mention the War"

and not "If you won the war stand up"
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The Yanks may think they live in the best country..but the Aussies know they do.
Seriously,wonder how many of those folk that you write about would know or seen anywhere else.?
Stay with the people you feel ok with...arrange the odd English Nite(?)perhaps.
Good Luck Chin Up and remember your British and way above all else.
That is dangerously close to an England=Britain there, sonny jim. Tread carefully!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
That is dangerously close to an England=Britain there, sonny jim. Tread carefully!
As English is a componant in the British make up don't see a problem.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
As English is a componant in the British make up don't see a problem.
I know. That's why I let you off with it!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:08 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Just remember! ITS NOT ENGLAND! Just because English is the first language and allot of peoples family history comes from Europe doesn't mean it's going to be the same. You must have a good reason to be here otherwise you'd be back in Bradford. Maybe that will help you realize how good things can be here!

"Back in Bradford"
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember you're in the South. Conservative attitudes die hard. Ironically, the very thing that sparked the Revolutionary War, Taxation without Representation, we are now trying to do to the rest of the world! A change of location would probably help a lot. Even though I chose to become an American, I despair when I look around me here at the average level of intelligence. As the old saying goes, the further South you go, the worse the education system is.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:11 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

So all these people who want to move to Florida really want to fit in???
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
You'll appreciate this (I hope): Last week I was shopping locally, walking behind a young mum carrying a load of shopping with her daughter (maybe 3 years old) walking beside her. The little girl tripped and was about to chew the concrete when her mum miraculously snatched the back of her jumper and the little girl stopped with her front teeth about an inch from the pavement.

It was an amazing example of quick reactions. My witty quip was "Nice save - you should be playing in goal for England ... err, I mean Scotland ... sorry!" doh. Still forget where I am sometimes.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!

As much as I would rather be living in the US, since I have been back in the UK, whenever I watch US current affairs, interviews with the man (woman) in the streets, etc., I am just gobsmacked at the crass nationalism and b*ll*cks that you see coming out of the US. I certainly was aware of it when I lived there, but I guess in contrast with UK news and current affairs coverage it just seems more obvious. Sometimes I think we could do with a little more national pride here, but definitely not of the "USA! USA! Whooooooo!!!" variety.

So, rant on. I can identify with your reactions.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I hear yah, Bradford Lass...

I come across them every now and again in New York State as well, so it's nothing special about the Floridians.

America has a long standing "We're No 1!!" thing going on and, in some cases, I've seen Americans argue the superiority of the US even on subjects about which they have no real comparable, worldly knowledge.

Usually, I ignore people who try that crap on me... People stopped trying the whole "We saved your ass in World War Two" and "we whooped your ass twice...Hurr Hurr!" thing when they realised it's a good way to ruin a party.

I think that, unless you want to get into argument, ignoring them is the best idea. You can't help some people, so no point trying.

-Simon
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As much as I would rather be living in the US, since I have been back in the UK, whenever I watch US current affairs, interviews with the man (woman) in the streets, etc., I am just gobsmacked at the crass nationalism and b*ll*cks that you see coming out of the US. I certainly was aware of it when I lived there, but I guess in contrast with UK news and current affairs coverage it just seems more obvious. Sometimes I think we could do with a little more national pride here, but definitely not of the "USA! USA! Whooooooo!!!" variety.

So, rant on. I can identify with your reactions.
Well that's the fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism... Loving your country as opposed to the undying view that your country is superior to other countries. Britain needs more patriotism but, as you said, the US can keep the nationalism.

Having said that, nationalism may be a side-effect of a country being the undoubted number one country in the world for too long... When the British Empire was at it's peak, you can't tell me that the British didn't look down on other countries.

Last edited by CitySimon; Jun 6th 2009 at 5:34 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:38 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Well that's the fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism... Loving your country as opposed to the undying view that your country is superior to other countries. Britain needs more patriotism but, as you said, the US can keep the nationalism.
That's one explanation. Another, not inconsistent, explanation is that, in the US today, patriotism has been reduced to little more than crass marketing exercise in branding. It's a view that is reinforced every time I fail to properly fast-forward through the adverts and get to see the US flag, 4th of July, etc. being used to sell any old shite that was probably made in China.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's one explanation. Another, not inconsistent, explanation is that, in the US today, patriotism has been reduced to little more than crass marketing exercise in branding. It's a view that is reinforced every time I fail to properly fast-forward through the adverts and get to see the US flag, 4th of July, etc. being used to sell any old shite that was probably made in China.
God bless America. I was looking for a new car a while back and were looking at a Kia... We went to the garage and they had little US flags on all the aerials. This guy tried to tell me that Kia was a US make of cars, hence the flags.

We didn't buy a car from that guy.

Last edited by CitySimon; Jun 6th 2009 at 5:45 am. Reason: Can't spell "and"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.