Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Wikiposts

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Rubbish...everyone knows blondes have more fun.
Well you don't have to rub it in.. let us have our fantasies!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:36 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chaunticleer
Totally. I hate it when these neanderthals don't instantly understand and appreciate humour that's specific to my family and culture. I was born in a country that's produced some of the wittiest men and women the world has ever seen, so naturally I too am blessed with a brilliant sense of humour. So it can't be that my jokes are simply not funny, as that's not physically possible. It's just these idiots who don't get it.

Last edited by YoungSteve17; Jun 15th 2009 at 9:39 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you still misunderstand.. how did you make the leap from cultural identification to 'the key to a great life'?
It's like identifying myself as curly haired, or brown eyed (which obviously DO make up the key to a great life btw). Just part of who they feel they are.
I've found this is very different for non-Americans to understand. I've explained it before. It's a cultural difference, full stop.

While I can understand that it must seem strange for someone from England to hear "I'm English too!" or similar, it makes me kind of sad to think that those people are thought of as weird, stupid, or generally lacking. They're trying to connect with the other party, and with enthusiasm. It's not like someone is saying "oh God, my family came from England a century ago, thank God they left that dump" - it's the exact opposite.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
My dear ... I spotted the sarcasm in that post a mile away. Did you?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffdude
I second the notion that it sounds like you are in a more conservative area of the US. The solution isn't getting out! It's moving to a more 'enlightened' part for the US

Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
That's modern politics being badly translated and overlayed onto past events... Hollywood does that a lot.

My own personal favorite was a guy in England with whom I was having a conversation about America and he said

...and he meant it. We changed the subject.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by duffdude
I second the notion that it sounds like you are in a more conservative area of the US. The solution isn't getting out! It's moving to a more 'enlightened' part for the US
I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a place where the people don't think 'University of Kentucky' when I say 'UK'. But the toxic levels of smug in some of these 'enlightened' areas is, frankly, far more repulsive. For me, at least.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I've found this is very different for non-Americans to understand. I've explained it before. It's a cultural difference, full stop.

While I can understand that it must seem strange for someone from England to hear "I'm English too!" or similar, it makes me kind of sad to think that those people are thought of as weird, stupid, or generally lacking. They're trying to connect with the other party, and with enthusiasm. It's not like someone is saying "oh God, my family came from England a century ago, thank God they left that dump" - it's the exact opposite.
The more I think about this, the more I believe this reaction is due to the culture of Britain. In Britain, 'position' and 'status' is everything. Historically, it doesn't matter how much money you have, it matters how you got it; it doesn't matter where you live, it matters where your family lived over the past hundreds of years ... so the thought of a bunch of people proudly advertising and celebrating the fact that they are from 'somewhere else' is so diametrically opposed to the mentality of Britain as to be incomprehensible.

And yes, if people said "I'm English too - it s a ****ing dump and I'm glad I escaped", then I can see being annoyed by it but these people seem to worship the ground we walk on ... so quit looking a gift horse in the mouth!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Kaffy Mintcake;7665141]I think most Americans would say "I'm English" or fill in the country. They don't literally mean they are from England, but rather of English descent. QUOTE]

That is correct. We dont literally mean we are from that country, its common to say this as well up here in Canada. But both countries we built from immigration from Europe and in the whole scheme of things are still pretty young, even down in Mexico many still say they are Spanish as in Spanish decent, so maybe its more of a North American term and not so much as American one.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 15th 2009 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got my head round the "I'm Irish" (or whatever) a while back after some internal wrestling on the subject (it just seemed so wrong for ages!)

Mrs tonrob is still going through the process. It really winds her up when the conversation goes:

Annoying Person: "Where are you from?"
Mrs tonrob: "I'm German"
Annoying Person: "I'm German too!" or, even worse, "Do you speak any German?"

For those of you who don't know - Mrs tonrob is as German as it gets, including a love of 80's soft wank-rock and not possessing the gene that enables one to queue.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:30 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20masonroad
Just get over it people......I do except the way it is here, I live here and abide by the laws of this land........It's almost comical, the way some "Americans" believe that hanging on to some distant ancestral home land is the key to a great life....Make your own, as they did back in the day!
I agree! Which is why I'm posting this on a site called British Expats.com! We should totally get over it and join We're All Americans Now.com!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The more I think about this, the more I believe this reaction is due to the culture of Britain. In Britain, 'position' and 'status' is everything. Historically, it doesn't matter how much money you have, it matters how you got it; it doesn't matter where you live, it matters where your family lived over the past hundreds of years ... so the thought of a bunch of people proudly advertising and celebrating the fact that they are from 'somewhere else' is so diametrically opposed to the mentality of Britain as to be incomprehensible.

And yes, if people said "I'm English too - it s a ****ing dump and I'm glad I escaped", then I can see being annoyed by it but these people seem to worship the ground we walk on ... so quit looking a gift horse in the mouth!
That's very insightful. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
Annoying Person: "Where are you from?"
Mrs tonrob: "I'm German"
Annoying Person: "I'm German too!" or, even worse, "Do you speak any German?"

I often run into people who upon learning my country of origin (Scotland), immediately tell me that they're "Irish". It seems they think this gives us some sort of automatic bond.

Still, as long as they don't start lecturing me on the ethics of Britain's history in Ireland, I don't mind too much. If anyone starts down that road though, I ask them whereabouts in Ireland they're from.

"Oh, so you've never actually been to Ireland?"
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stockton

I often run into people who upon learning my country of origin (Scotland), immediately tell me that they're "Irish". It seems they think this gives us some sort of automatic bond.
If you're a Celtic supporter may be it does.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by surly
If you're a Celtic supporter may be it does.
Surely you jest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.