Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Wikiposts

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:28 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
Wow... sounds like something Bradbury would write. If you ever remember who wrote it, shoot me the author's name and the title so I can give it a read.
I looked it up. It was "The Country of the Blind" by H.G. Wells.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Thanks muchly!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Get drunk and learn to throw a spiral better than the locals, that pisses them off, plus it's a piece of piss

That and chuck cricket balls at them...hah...that's how real people catch balls rather than those mitts

Joking aside, how do you catch with a mitt without feeling like a plonker? Guess I'm just not used to it, but catching a baseball bare handed is so much easier than using a mitt...
I'm embarrased to say that's one of the things I do when i've had quite a few too many beers. I tell people to throw a baseball to me as hard as they can and bet I can catch it.

Regarding the main topic, I think we all have those days/weeks where we just get fed up with all the stupid comments, patriotic shit, etc. A good rant at someone and a few drinks usually help and before you know it everything is okay again.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=made of kent;7639068]I understand, but the whole 4th of July thing as far as my history goes, which isn't far!! wasn't it the British colonials against the British? in that war and only after that, did they declare independence, thus becoming Americians? so its not them beating us, it was almost a British civil war?QUOTE]

I think that you are probably right. Once a friend of mine remarked, just before July 4, how they would be celebrating, and said that he was sure that I wouldn't want to. I then put forward the argument like yours. I also said "Ross, it was people like me, coming from another country, who got this country going". He went very quiet.

Last edited by Redwing; Jun 6th 2009 at 12:24 pm. Reason: Missed some out.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
And still do apparently.
I didn't say they didn't... My comment was an observation trying to understand where the nationalist tendancies seen within certain people in the US come from and I equated it back to the British attitide to the rest of the world which I have no doubt was at a peak while the British Empire was at it's maximum power...

But I'm sure you already knew that didn't you.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I didn't say they didn't... My comment was an observation trying to understand where the nationalist tendancies seen within certain people in the US come from and I equated it back to the British attitide to the rest of the world which I have no doubt was at a peak while the British Empire was at it's maximum power...

But I'm sure you already knew that didn't you.
You may be right, but sometimes when I read these comments I think ... if we didn't like ourselves, who would?

Okay, done being sensitive.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
You may be right, but sometimes when I read these comments I think ... if we didn't like ourselves, who would?

Okay, done being sensitive.
Hey, I love you guys!!! This is just a sort of group therapy thing... There are assholes everywhere, nothing special or specific about the USA.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:28 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I love you all too. thanks for words of advice and support.

Have just got back from the beach, one of the good things this area has is beautiful beaches. I decided to stop worrying about wrinkles and skin cancer for once and see if a tan makes me feel better.

I need to find the positive internal dialogue that has been drowned out by my angry side, after all there were plenty of things that probably bugged me back home but I managed not to focus on them.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

blondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really nice

If I may add my two cents, being an American (albeit with a Brit BF)...with condolences, I sadly tell you that those inbred crackers in Florida are not going to change, you have described them to a T!...it is endemic to the South in general, and downright toxic in some areas...(be thankful you are not in Arkansas or Texas)....those with the bumper stickers crazy glued to the paint job on their cars saying "Proud to Be an American" or "America, Love it or Leave It" are an embarrassment to the rest of us who realize, we all bring something special to the global table, and should just live and let live for the most part....my BF refers to Thanksgiving here as "Driving out the Dross Day", and the 4th of July as "Disowning the Unsavory Relatives"..this makes my sibs howl with laughter....so my suggestion is to keep your sense of humor about it, and pop a refreshing bit of Brit entertainment into the VCR when you are feeling drowned by it all.....Ricky Gervais? Eddie Izzard?....just have a laugh!...with apologies for my less than enlightened countryman....ann
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

I need to find the positive internal dialogue that has been drowned out by my angry side, after all there were plenty of things that probably bugged me back home but I managed not to focus on them.
Aw, we love you too.

There's nothing wrong with having a moan now and then, and returning to creature comforts to make you feel a little better. My way of doing this when I was a homesick student living in Europe was to buy a little baguette and put the peanut butter my parents had sent on it. Ah ... a feast.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:46 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Have just got back from the beach, one of the good things this area has is beautiful beaches. I decided to stop worrying about wrinkles and skin cancer for once and see if a tan makes me feel better.

Can I just say, you need to bring focus in yourself, I think having someone send you a bar of chocolate might help from home, its not that the gift will do anything itself but the meaning behind it will help you regain focus, its a mind thing.
We all have these type of days, but they tend to just catch you at your worst when you are off guard, the beach thing was a very good idea, some you time needed.

I normally charge £70 per session, for you as an emergency case, a smile will be enough...
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:37 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
... if we didn't like ourselves, who would?
Hopefully with the new adminsitration in the White House the world's view on America may well change..... for the better.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:38 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CitySimon
There are assholes everywhere, nothing special or specific about the USA.
Now that's the truth!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by blondiern
If I may add my two cents, being an American (albeit with a Brit BF)...with condolences, I sadly tell you that those inbred crackers in Florida are not going to change, you have described them to a T!...it is endemic to the South in general, and downright toxic in some areas...(be thankful you are not in Arkansas or Texas)....those with the bumper stickers crazy glued to the paint job on their cars saying "Proud to Be an American" or "America, Love it or Leave It" are an embarrassment to the rest of us who realize, we all bring something special to the global table, and should just live and let live for the most part....my BF refers to Thanksgiving here as "Driving out the Dross Day", and the 4th of July as "Disowning the Unsavory Relatives"..this makes my sibs howl with laughter....so my suggestion is to keep your sense of humor about it, and pop a refreshing bit of Brit entertainment into the VCR when you are feeling drowned by it all.....Ricky Gervais? Eddie Izzard?....just have a laugh!...with apologies for my less than enlightened countryman....ann

Well some do go OTT I'll grant you that but then that's America for you
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.
Just use the classic

"Of course we celebrate 4th July in England, we just don't call it independence day"
"What do you call it?"
"Thanksgiving"

There is sure to be a situation where you can work it in in some form or another!

Note: This may already have been said but I can't be arsed to look through 4 pages to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.