Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

Originally Posted by rachiea2610
I live in Durham, about 20 miles outside of Raleigh. I have never been to Charlotte, but I've heard it's beautiful. However, so is Durham. Durham also has some of the best colleges around and the hospitals are above par. If you have a child Durham is the way to go. Durham is very diverse, and a very pro-gay town (if that makes any difference to you.)
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your comments. Yes, diversity is important to us. I've headed up diversity programs in companies and it's actually a subject I am passionate about - a love and respect for all is at the core of my being. Living in a diverse space/place is therefore held in high regard.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Durham, about 20 miles outside of Raleigh. I have never been to Charlotte, but I've heard it's beautiful. However, so is Durham. Durham also has some of the best colleges around and the hospitals are above par. If you have a child Durham is the way to go. Durham is very diverse, and a very pro-gay town (if that makes any difference to you.)

Sorry, one question - are there any neighbourhoods/areas you recommend in Durham? We'll just put it/them on our list for when we visit.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:46 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

I think this really is a coin flip, I because I live here would choose Charlotte, but I really think you should try and visit first. What would also be a factor is what line of work are you in as well.
I live by the nc/sc border a couple of miles from Orangepants, my commute is 30 minutes. I also love the fact I can be in the country in next to no time.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:07 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I would second FSM have a visit first and see which place you get a "feel" for.

Charlotte (like many US cities) is very spread out, and commuting time to your husbands work may dictate where you will live. Eg we choose to live in SW Charlotte (not far from FSM and Orangepants .... we have a little nest of Brits around these parts is seems ) because it wasn't too far from my husbands work (he works near the airport) and his commute time at rush hour is about 20 mins.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Thanks again for all of your replies. We'll definitely look closely at both areas. Looking at jobs however, Charlotte seems to have more available opportunities in my husband's field which is IT. For some reason I thought the Raleigh area would. He already has a job with a great company, but something to consider is the 'what if' scenario - as in the likelihood of him finding something should he lose his job. In this regard, Charlotte seems to have 30% more jobs at the moment.

Having a look at the Lake Wylie area on realtor.com, a lot of the houses on the market look to be empty. Any idea why this might be? The houses are not listed as foreclosures.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Hi all,

Thanks again for all of your replies. We'll definitely look closely at both areas. Looking at jobs however, Charlotte seems to have more available opportunities in my husband's field which is IT. For some reason I thought the Raleigh area would. He already has a job with a great company, but something to consider is the 'what if' scenario - as in the likelihood of him finding something should he lose his job. In this regard, Charlotte seems to have 30% more jobs at the moment.

Having a look at the Lake Wylie area on realtor.com, a lot of the houses on the market look to be empty. Any idea why this might be? The houses are not listed as foreclosures.
Depends on the house, but it is taking a little time to sell houses around here, so it may be they've moved for their jobs and left the houses empty to sell while they relocate. My neighbour has had to do that. Job wouldn't wait. So they are renting in their new city until their house here sells.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your comments. Yes, diversity is important to us. I've headed up diversity programs in companies and it's actually a subject I am passionate about - a love and respect for all is at the core of my being. Living in a diverse space/place is therefore held in high regard.
Then Durham is the place for you!!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Sorry, one question - are there any neighbourhoods/areas you recommend in Durham? We'll just put it/them on our list for when we visit.
Sorry, Just saw this one.

It really depends on your budget. Forest hills is a really nice area, but can be quite expensive, it's built around a huge park...great if you have dogs or kids. Also it's very close to down town, and depending on which part you can walk to one the best restaurants in the triangle, Nana's. Hope Valley is also really nice, lots of mature neighbourhoods etc. Personally I would love to live around 9th street, where there is lots of eclectic stores and places to eat. When you come, you absolutely MUST take a tour around down town Durham. Drive around Duke area, and check out the Duke Gardens...very relaxing! There is a bike/walking trail that goes through and around Durham (The American Tobacco Trail)
Durham has The Durham Performing Arts Centre (DPAC to the locals) which has some awesome shows on all the time. The Durham bulls, the local minor league baseball team. Durham is a foodie town and there are some AMAZING restaurants around. Just sooo much to say about Durham. I love it!!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Depends on the house, but it is taking a little time to sell houses around here, so it may be they've moved for their jobs and left the houses empty to sell while they relocate. My neighbour has had to do that. Job wouldn't wait. So they are renting in their new city until their house here sells.
Surely there is more jobs in Durham, you would think so anyway since RTP (research triangle park) is located here....then again what do I know?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Okay, yes that makes complete sense. It's a nice area from what I can see online - can't wait to visit
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, Just saw this one.

It really depends on your budget. Forest hills is a really nice area, but can be quite expensive, it's built around a huge park...great if you have dogs or kids. Also it's very close to down town, and depending on which part you can walk to one the best restaurants in the triangle, Nana's. Hope Valley is also really nice, lots of mature neighbourhoods etc. Personally I would love to live around 9th street, where there is lots of eclectic stores and places to eat. When you come, you absolutely MUST take a tour around down town Durham. Drive around Duke area, and check out the Duke Gardens...very relaxing! There is a bike/walking trail that goes through and around Durham (The American Tobacco Trail)
Durham has The Durham Performing Arts Centre (DPAC to the locals) which has some awesome shows on all the time. The Durham bulls, the local minor league baseball team. Durham is a foodie town and there are some AMAZING restaurants around. Just sooo much to say about Durham. I love it!!
Wow, I am totally psyched about our visit. Thanks so much for this information. Foodie Friendly? Diversity? Culture? Walking trails? You've hit so many things we love - very much looking forward. Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Surely there is more jobs in Durham, you would think so anyway since RTP (research triangle park) is located here....then again what do I know?
I've now looked at this a bit closer. It would seem that RTP has more jobs for my husband from a technical perspective - but in terms of management, Charlotte has more. Good news is it looks like there are plenty of opportunities in either city
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

No problem, there's plenty more where that came from!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

There is a bike/walking trail that goes through and around Durham (The American Tobacco Trail)
I'm not sure I would be promoting the American Tobacco Trail section in Durham at the moment
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I'm not sure I would be promoting the American Tobacco Trail section in Durham at the moment
oh, my i wasn't aware if the assault and other incidences. I jog with my infant daughter there all the time :-( it did mention it was bbt fayetteville street, so I'm not too surprised. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!