Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

Hello there,

After several years of going back and forth, my husband and I (both dual citizens of the US/UK) have decided to move back to our native USA in order to be in better proximity to our families. My husband's job will allow him to transfer over to their office in Charlotte or Raleigh, NC. If you had a choice, which general area would you choose? We'd prefer to live in a town outside these areas and commute in - so I guess what I am wondering is which city has the best outlying towns and easiest commute in (if that makes sense). If you live in a nice town outside these areas with good schools and low crime rates, I'd be grateful to hear about them.

Thanks so much.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina - Raleigh or Charlotte Areas?

I live in Apex which is about 10 miles outside of Raleigh. The whole Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area (and their surrounding towns) is great IMO as you get a good balance of city/suburb/rural.

The schools in general are pretty good. Raleigh is in Wake County, Durham in Durham County and Chapel Hill in Orange County. Each county has its own school system (although Chapel Hill is a special case and has its own for the city). My kids go to Wake County based schools. Overall they are very good, however for quite sometime now the Wake County School system has been in a battle between parents and a bunch of social engineers who believe that busing kids around the county is a great way to educate poor kids. The result of this is that school reassignments can occur frequently.

Charlotte is more centralized. I only visit Charlotte on occasion but from what I've heard there are great surrounding commutable towns too. I would suggest you come over an visit both. They are only about 3hours apart.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I live just south of Charlotte, in Lake Wylie just over the state line. It is beautiful here, we are @ 20 miles from Charlotte. Clover is the school district and apparently is very good. One positive thing about being over the state line is property taxes are much lower than NC and of course living on the lake is very peaceful. The commute into town - you have to go around the lake to get to the I77 and takes an hour in am and pm. Good everyday shopping is about 20 mins away. Mall is about 40 mins.
Dont know anything about Raleigh but heard great things about it..My hubby is going there this evening for a Duran Duran concert
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants View Post
I live just south of Charlotte, in Lake Wylie just over the state line. It is beautiful here, we are @ 20 miles from Charlotte. Clover is the school district and apparently is very good. One positive thing about being over the state line is property taxes are much lower than NC and of course living on the lake is very peaceful. The commute into town - you have to go around the lake to get to the I77 and takes an hour in am and pm. Good everyday shopping is about 20 mins away. Mall is about 40 mins.
Dont know anything about Raleigh but heard great things about it..My hubby is going there this evening for a Duran Duran concert
I love Duran Duran Your area sounds amazing. One of my dreams is to live near a lake. Thanks for the tips about the property taxes - that sounds like a big plus. I also love living in a small community. The hour might be too much of a commute however. Might still be an option as hubby doesn't have to go in every day. What took you from Cayman to SC?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh View Post
I love Duran Duran Your area sounds amazing. One of my dreams is to live near a lake. Thanks for the tips about the property taxes - that sounds like a big plus. I also love living in a small community. The hour might be too much of a commute however. Might still be an option as hubby doesn't have to go in every day. What took you from Cayman to SC?
Followed my boyfriend who was offered a job in Charlotte in 2005, I finally moved up 2 years ago and got married - we had to live near water so bought a piece of land by the lake and took it from there. Very happy.
Tega Cay is also another lake living community in SC with better connection to the I77.

Last edited by Orangepants; Aug 21st 2012 at 5:33 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rbackhouse View Post
I live in Apex which is about 10 miles outside of Raleigh. The whole Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area (and their surrounding towns) is great IMO as you get a good balance of city/suburb/rural.

The schools in general are pretty good. Raleigh is in Wake County, Durham in Durham County and Chapel Hill in Orange County. Each county has its own school system (although Chapel Hill is a special case and has its own for the city). My kids go to Wake County based schools. Overall they are very good, however for quite sometime now the Wake County School system has been in a battle between parents and a bunch of social engineers who believe that busing kids around the county is a great way to educate poor kids. The result of this is that school reassignments can occur frequently.

Charlotte is more centralized. I only visit Charlotte on occasion but from what I've heard there are great surrounding commutable towns too. I would suggest you come over an visit both. They are only about 3hours apart.
Thanks so much. We will definitely be visiting both areas - just wanted to get some opinions before we do. What about traffic? I read that the traffic in Raleigh is terrible. What's your experience been?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orangepants View Post
Followed my boyfriend who was offered a job in Charlotte in 2005, I finally moved up 2 years ago and got married - we had to live near water so bought a piece of land by the lake and took it from there. Very happy.
Tega Cay is also another lake living community in SC with better connection to the I77.
Thanks again. I'll check out both places
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much. We will definitely be visiting both areas - just wanted to get some opinions before we do. What about traffic? I read that the traffic in Raleigh is terrible. What's your experience been?
I guess it really depends on what you define as terrible I would say the quality of driving is more of an issue than the volume. My wife works in downtown Raleigh and leaves everyday at around 7am. It usually takes her around 30-35 minutes. That's about 12 miles or so. I only go into RTP (the business park that sits in the middle of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) a couple of times a week and it takes me around 15-20 minutes to do 15 miles. However I go in very early and leave early.

Basically compared to large cities (DC, NY, Boston etc) its a breeze
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

I guess it really depends on what you define as terrible I would say the quality of driving is more of an issue than the volume. My wife works in downtown Raleigh and leaves everyday at around 7am. It usually takes her around 30-35 minutes. That's about 12 miles or so. I only go into RTP (the business park that sits in the middle of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) a couple of times a week and it takes me around 15-20 minutes to do 15 miles. However I go in very early and leave early.

Basically compared to large cities (DC, NY, Boston etc) its a breeze
Great to hear. That's one of our biggest adjustment worries. Edinburgh doesn't really have too much traffic and we both very much live a pedestrian life here - which is great. I think it would kill us to move somewhere where we had to spend too much time stressing out in traffic.

What brought you two to the area?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great to hear. That's one of our biggest adjustment worries. Edinburgh doesn't really have too much traffic and we both very much live a pedestrian life here - which is great. I think it would kill us to move somewhere where we had to spend too much time stressing out in traffic.

What brought you two to the area?
I met my wife here in Raleigh just over 20 years ago. I was on a 6 month assignment when we met. I went back to England after the assignment with the goal to move back over and destiny/fate decided that it was back to Raleigh. We have been married now for 20 years with 2 kids (17 and 13). Apart from 3 years in Colorado in the 90's we have lived here. It's a great area to raise a family.

BTW I would say traffic will be the least of your worries.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

BTW I would say traffic will be the least of your worries.
Thanks again. Are there any other 'worries' we should be aware of?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again. Are there any other 'worries' we should be aware of?
Nothing that doesn't apply to moving over here in general. I think its a great area with lots of opportunity. It has weathered the economy problems pretty well compared to other areas of the country.

I do hope you like hot, humid summer though
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Nothing that doesn't apply to moving over here in general. I think its a great area with lots of opportunity. It has weathered the economy problems pretty well compared to other areas of the country.

I do hope you like hot, humid summer though
Phew, okay, I was scared there for a minute ...I am originally from Mississippi and have experience with the hot, humid summers. The plus side, they're are usually followed by the most glorious Autumn imaginable - my fav season.

If you think of any other areas for us to check out, please let me know. I checked on the map and my husband's office is actually located in North West Raleigh right outside the 440 beltline.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Phew, okay, I was scared there for a minute ...I am originally from Mississippi and have experience with the hot, humid summers. The plus side, they're are usually followed by the most glorious Autumn imaginable - my fav season.

If you think of any other areas for us to check out, please let me know. I checked on the map and my husband's office is actually located in North West Raleigh right outside the 440 beltline.
You can probably just look at Raleigh in that case. The city limit goes quite a way out from there. The 440 beltline is an inner beltline. There is a new outer beltlne called 540 that has alot of nice areas around the northwest side.

Another alternative is to look at Wake Forest which is north of Raleigh.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

I live in Durham, about 20 miles outside of Raleigh. I have never been to Charlotte, but I've heard it's beautiful. However, so is Durham. Durham also has some of the best colleges around and the hospitals are above par. If you have a child Durham is the way to go. Durham is very diverse, and a very pro-gay town (if that makes any difference to you.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.