Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK business still running whilst on O-3 visa

UK business still running whilst on O-3 visa

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

clarity1971 will become famous soon enoughclarity1971 will become famous soon enough
Default UK business still running whilst on O-3 visa

My husband may be taking up employment in California with company sponsoring him for an o-1 visa (with me on O-3)

I currently run my own business however in the UK and don't want to have to sell it. I know that I am not allowed any form of employment or income in the US but could I leave the business in capable hands in the UK and not take any form of income? Would this be permissible? Also I am guessing that dividends would not be allowed?

I understand that there will be tax implications to look at but right now I just need to look at the legal angle and work out what I can and cannot do.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK business still running whilst on O-3 visa

Originally Posted by clarity1971
I currently run my own business however in the UK and don't want to have to sell it. I know that I am not allowed any form of employment or income in the US but could I leave the business in capable hands in the UK and not take any form of income? Would this be permissible? Also I am guessing that dividends would not be allowed?
Dividends are allowed, but you personally cannot perform any work for the business while you are physically inside the USA. So if you have people back in the UK doing the work, that's fine.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

clarity1971 will become famous soon enoughclarity1971 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your reply Norah

So would I be restricted from even advising or communicating with my team back in the UK?

If anyone could point me in the direction of some official info, that would be great
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarity1971
So would I be restricted from even advising or communicating with my team back in the UK?
If you're asking whether or not you'll get caught, the answer is: it would be highly unlikely. Is it forbidden? Probably not. Is it a grey area: Yes... but that, by itself, doesn't make it illegal.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some official info, that would be great
There is no official info in such matters. This allows the US government the widest possible latitude in exercising its powers!

Personally, I think you'll be fine!

Ian